What can ABL do, that Substractor cant?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Aasmund1986

02 Apr 2016

Hi, Im looking into to buy the ABL3. But I can easly generate the same saws and squares with substractor that the ones that comes with ABL.
So my question is, what can ABL3 do, that Substractor cant? I know ABL has the sequenser. Is it just the 303 emulation feeling that makes ABL
special or is it the real thing that is emulated from a real 303 Computer Bassline?

Hope someone can elobrate a little on my questions :)
Reason 10 Intro
Parsec, Europa, Antidote, Predator, PX7, 4MER, eXpanse, SynthMaster One, ReSpire

Loque

02 Apr 2016

The only thing that is realy interesting on a 303 emulation is the filter and its envelopes and the accent addition. This is pretty hard to control with Subtractor, especially if you want to modulate the filter.
Reason12, Win10

Aasmund1986

02 Apr 2016

Hmm, so ABL got more control over the filters? Do you think the asking price is nice for its possibillities?
Reason 10 Intro
Parsec, Europa, Antidote, Predator, PX7, 4MER, eXpanse, SynthMaster One, ReSpire

Emian

02 Apr 2016

it's ATM actually the best 303 emulation out here, meaning it's the closest thing soundwise to a real TB-303.

check this link ( http://www.acidvoice.com/tb_303_vst_plugin_software.htm ) they compare all 303 soft-emulations; ABL3 scores best.

Now to make that squelcy acid sound you'd better use a good Distortion with ABL3 ; i'm having lot's of fun lately using it with Devastor 2 .

Hope this helps !

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

Aasmund1986

02 Apr 2016

Ive been there :) It was a time when I really was into the acid genre so I was looking for a real 303 emulator. The price isnt so bad and the quality is really on-point. Think I will try it.
Reason 10 Intro

Loque

02 Apr 2016

I whish i could use the filter from that device for other synths. Till now its "only" a 303, that is not enough for that price imo.
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

02 Apr 2016

Aasmund1986 wrote:Hi, Im looking into to buy the ABL3. But I can easly generate the same saws and squares with substractor that the ones that comes with ABL.
So my question is, what can ABL3 do, that Substractor cant? I know ABL has the sequenser. Is it just the 303 emulation feeling that makes ABL
special or is it the real thing that is emulated from a real 303 Computer Bassline?

Hope someone can elobrate a little on my questions :)
IIRC, the square in particular is quite unique, so you probably can't easily generate it with Subtractor - possibly the saw too, and then there's the filter…
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

02 Apr 2016

Loque wrote:I whish i could use the filter from that device for other synths. Till now its "only" a 303, that is not enough for that price imo.
Well it's the best 303 emulation out there!

The VST is something like $118. The RE is $69.

And it's more than only a 303. It's a step sequencer. I use the step record function and the random/alter features to create sequences that I use to control other synths in conjunction with the ABL3 and on their own. I'll do that as well as send CV from ABL3's accent output to various things. It's quite fun :puf_smile:

GRIFTY

02 Apr 2016

What about the "acid" filter?? Couldn't you buy that for less and slap it on subtractor?

joeyluck

02 Apr 2016

GRIFTY wrote:What about the "acid" filter?? Couldn't you buy that for less and slap it on subtractor?
That does not emulate well at all a 303 filter. It was more 'inspired by'

4filegate

02 Apr 2016

Unfortunately, not all functions write e.g. pattern copy in seq. window automation :(
ABL3 RE TB-303 emulation is basically a "moog" style cascade filter with 18dB/oct filter http://www.sequencer.de/syns/roland/TB303.html
on the other side we`ve a full support 24bit/96kHz audio project presettings :)

joeyluck

02 Apr 2016

To be clear, there are numerous ways to get fun sounding bass lines. For example, there are 'acid-like sounds' you can get from an SH-101 bass line running through distortion. Similar in sound, but certainly not the same. There is a very specific sound to the TB-303. As Selig mentioned; the oscillator and the filter. The Acid filter in the shop is quite different in character in many ways to the TB-303/ABL3 filter; the cutoff, the resonance, the overall behavior. Not trying to dismiss anything. By all means try things out and if you get a sound that you like, that's what is important. But just know that the ABL3 is the spot-on emulation if you want the 303 sound.

Loque

02 Apr 2016

GRIFTY wrote:What about the "acid" filter?? Couldn't you buy that for less and slap it on subtractor?
Sounds weak imo. Nothing to do with a 303 sound or filter.

If you are looking for great control of the filter and the envelope, check out the Polymodular System. The only system i got nearly the sound of a 303 and similar filter behavious.
Last edited by Loque on 02 Apr 2016, edited 1 time in total.
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

02 Apr 2016

Unfortunately, not all functions write e.g. pattern copy in seq. window automation :(
ABL3 RE TB-303 emulation is basically a "moog" style cascade filter with 18dB/oct filter http://www.sequencer.de/syns/roland/TB303.html
Seems to be conflicting data on whether the filter is 24 dB/Oct or 18/dB/Oct - I have no opinion on this, just stating that different sources say different things…

File under "Things that may you say hmmmm".
Selig Audio, LLC

Jagwah

02 Apr 2016

I don't know about the specifics but I know that provided I get a decent pattern happening my ABL2 gives me instant awesomeness. Go to it very often.

By the way Blamsoft's Zero has a patch name 'Acid Love AZ' which has a very powerful and somewhat unique acid sound which is open to a ton of modulation, very cool.

Dave909

02 Apr 2016

Loque wrote:I whish i could use the filter from that device for other synths. Till now its "only" a 303, that is not enough for that price imo.
Well, thats all its trying to be.

Dave909

02 Apr 2016

selig wrote:
Seems to be conflicting data on whether the filter is 24 dB/Oct or 18/dB/Oct - I have no opinion on this, just stating that different sources say different things…

I have always been under the impression that a TB303 used an 18 db filter. Thats what got me surprised about Primal audio's choice to make the acid filter 24db. 24db has always been more the moogish kinda way

4filegate

03 Apr 2016

Dave909 wrote:
selig wrote:

I have always been under the impression that a TB303 used an 18 db filter. Thats what got me surprised about Primal audio's choice to make the acid filter 24db. 24db has always been more the moogish kinda way
causality - bottleneck

cause: it should have to be a 24dB low-pass "filter-quality" was only enough for 18dB

:think: The NeverEnding Story for clone diodes circuit simulators

RE ABL3 emulation TB-303fingerprint "sounds better than ever" - VST ABL3 can handle copy pattern to the track and is not limited by SDK

Gorgon

03 Apr 2016

Chizmata wrote:damn why is rebirth not even a download anymore?
Wow. Propellerhead just keeps giving.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Loque

03 Apr 2016

:thumbs_up:
Gorgon wrote:
Chizmata wrote:damn why is rebirth not even a download anymore?
Wow. Propellerhead just keeps giving.
Yea, they now sell it again for iOS afaik. Always whished they add it directly to the rack. The only reason why they didnt could be rights by Roland imo.

But tbh the input machine was like using VST - just anoying. And error prone.
Reason12, Win10

Aasmund1986

03 Apr 2016

It sounds like an great rack extension but like someone said, at that price its not enought with just some filterknobs and a stepsequenser. I like to hear
changes on a sound Im tweaking and not just the filterchanges. Yes, its the best 303 emulator out there and it works, but I think my money goes somewhere else. Thanks for all your replys :)
Reason 10 Intro

Dave909

03 Apr 2016

4filegate wrote:
Dave909 wrote:
selig wrote:

causality - bottleneck

cause: it should have to be a 24dB low-pass "filter-quality" was only enough for 18dB

:think: The NeverEnding Story for clone diodes circuit simulators

RE ABL3 emulation TB-303fingerprint "sounds better than ever" - VST ABL3 can handle copy pattern to the track and is not limited by SDK
So you mean that the filters are always 24db but just a certain range is used?

dustmoses

03 Apr 2016

If the 303 sound is something you can use get ABL3 it's really the only option.

If you don't want/need the 303 sound look elsewhere.

• Information