Any news?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Skullture

13 Apr 2016

boobytrap wrote:
K.Markov wrote:
riemac wrote:
Electric-Metal wrote:
boobytrap wrote:...Antidote is the only Pro Type Synth that we have.
Seems you´ve forgot about Predator.
And Blamesoft Zero... ;-)

And Korg Mono/Poly... :mrgreen:

And kHs One.

Predator is my very First Re with Reason Essential 1.5. really hi class synth and I love it. also other synths too. because all of the developers putting there hard effort to make them. i respect that, coz i can't make them or I'm not rich enough to buy a real synthesizer. ( like mini moog or DX 7).
reason only i mention Antidote, it is the only one Re Like Sylenth1(one of top 5 vst).
i like to see native instruments, fabfiler, waves, like pro works in PH shop
Propellerheads strategy has led this platform to become sort of "hobbyistic". But that's OK, I like indie stuff. it has a different appeal and at least it works a lot more pleasant than an obnoxious VST system. ;)

boobytrap

13 Apr 2016

Skullture wrote:Propellerheads strategy has led this platform to become sort of "hobbyistic". But that's OK, I like indie stuff. it has a different appeal and at least it works a lot more pleasant than an obnoxious VST system. ;)
Reason and Rack Extension system is very Neat, well organize and very electronic. that's why I love it. VST's are bit complicated sometimes.
it's like Mac vs Windows !

anyway we need good Re in future !
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

Skrock
RE Developer

13 Apr 2016

Should be out any day now
https://www.skrockmusic.com/
https://soundcloud.com/derekstrike
https://soundcloud.com/marcusbits
I make music in Reason using using Skrock synths and the creative tools from other developers!

Benedict
Competition Winner

13 Apr 2016

M.B wrote: Should be out any day now

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Reasonistas
RE Developer

13 Apr 2016

Benedict wrote:
M.B wrote: Should be out any day now

That's awesome Benedict.
ImageImageImage

Benedict
Competition Winner

13 Apr 2016

Geez, that was quick Mr G.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

13 Apr 2016

Skullture wrote:
boobytrap wrote:[

Predator is my very First Re with Reason Essential 1.5. really hi class synth and I love it. also other synths too. because all of the developers putting there hard effort to make them. i respect that, coz i can't make them or I'm not rich enough to buy a real synthesizer. ( like mini moog or DX 7).
reason only i mention Antidote, it is the only one Re Like Sylenth1(one of top 5 vst).
Propellerheads strategy has led this platform to become sort of "hobbyistic". But that's OK, I like indie stuff. it has a different appeal and at least it works a lot more pleasant than an obnoxious VST system. ;)
Some interesting comments there.

I think there are plenty of very high-end synthesizers in Reason now, providing different tools for different genres, and different methods of usage. Yes, there are still some gaps: something like Serum is definitely on many people's wish-list, but that's still not possible. But there's no such thing as "pro" or "amateur". Plenty of pro photographers have used Polaroid. Everything is a tool for someone, somewhere.

However, that's a really interesting point above about the "hobbyistic" nature of Reason.

A growing problem that Reason now has is that the preponderance of cheaply-sold IDT sample players posing as synths (typically named by picking a random element from the Periodic Table), which as one of my esteemed fellow-devs pointed out to me, seriously risks devaluing the RE marketplace, for a very small, and generally short-term gain. Now, someone else pointed out that of course not everyone can afford the more expensive synths, and that a $9 "synth" still offers something useful at the lower end of the market. That's a valid point and I cannot disagree with it from a consumer standpoint. But from a developer standpoint it's incredibly naive. There are diminishing returns there. A $9 synth can't be put on sale. So when the initial 6-week sales period is over, that device is pretty much dead in the water from an income perspective, so the dev has to repackage it in a new format and pretend it's a new thing for another nine bucks. But all those $9–19 synths stack up and take money out the market that some people might have saved for a better, dedicated synth with all the advantages that confers. People complain there are not enough high-end synths, yet in VST land, people happily pay £200 for an Arturia product; our own HS, for example, is easily a match in terms of quality for any softsynth Arturia ever produced, but try to charge that amount in Reason and it would be like getting pubic hairs ripped off, one curl at a time! ;) So the net result is that it becomes even harder to make a return on the kind of synths people actually want, as devs find they can't sell, and do a runner. Really, it's only RP who's stuck around from the wider DAW world, and at least tried to do some Reason-exclusive stuff as well.

So while IDT "synths" are tolerated—and not unexpected—it really wasn't what IDT was created for: it was devised primarily for sampled instruments, but particularly to encourage Kontakt instrument conversions. The problem is that those who have done Kontakt>IDT conversions have all been flawed by being rushed or through a general lack of understanding of the Reason format (just as I suspect I'd have the same issue going IDT>Kontakt ;) ), got their pubes scorched on the forums and in the PropShop, and then seem to have done a runner. ProjectSAM's failure, for example, to set the correct graphic size (resulting in blurred text), then altering the instrument order, is a good case study.

edit: I must appreciate the amusing and remarkable irony of another being announced in the time it took me to write that missive!

lowpryo

13 Apr 2016

I agree at how cheap and useless the IDT "synth" market has become. I also hate that when you sort the rack extension shop by "synth", the IDTs are mixed into the results. they are two different leagues of devices, but for uninformed consumer, they look like equals. there is nothing about the labeling that says "THIS IS A GLORIFIED SAMPLER". I would be enraged if I was a real synth RE developer

I think IDT in general is a weird concept. what was wrong with re-fills? pretty much all of those devices could be loaded into NNXT presets with no problems, and onboard FX are almost unnecessary due to the modular nature of Reason

Benedict
Competition Winner

13 Apr 2016

This is exactly the same as the anti-SynthEdit thing that grew over at KVR.

Would we go to a Guitar Center and suggest that the cheap Strat clones be stripped from the shop so we were only looking at Gibson Les Paul '69 Sunbursts and '54 Gretch Hollow bodies? Of course then insisting they were too expensive. I think not. A guitar is a guitar, and so a synth is a synth.

IDT is a method of making a synth (in the broader sense of the term). Sure some may become repetitive but having made sounds for a few IDT now, each is capable of delivering some cool things. Sure, I bet Props were more hoping for Kontakt style libraries with clever scripting than $9 "synthettes" but really, like SynthEdit it is out of those little Devs that some cool and unexpected things grow. If we make those smaller Devs feel like frauds, will they be more likely to step up and make those cool things?

As for IDT vs ReFill. I kinda agree. BUT people are more likely to spend money on a synth with a few samples and patches hardwired in than a cool sample/patch library even tho the potential may be greater. It is a funny psychology thing based on a synth seeming more tangible than the more esoteric Intellectual Property base of a ReFill.

We seem to spend so much time expecting "they", or Props & Devs in this case, to make the Reason community vibrant when in real fact is it us who are the community. If we are cool, positive people then others will be more likely to plant their seeds here. That is where credibility, development and longevity comes from.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

Faastwalker

13 Apr 2016

JiggeryPokery wrote:There's no such thing as "pro" or "amateur". Plenty of pro photographers have used Polaroid. Everything is a tool for someone, somewhere.
Agreed. The whole amateur V pro thing is as tedious, pointless & circular an argument as the (for example) hardware V software debate. It's not what you've got it's how you use it. The photography analogy is a good one. People buy a half decent DSLR & think they are a 'pro' photographer. Meanwhile there are people taking some fantastic & interesting photographs on their mobile devices.

But with that in mind doesn't it go somewhat against your points about cheap, half baked $9 IDT RE's? Nothing wrong with these. They are what they are or at least the potential is there. I'm not a huge fan of the current crop myself for a couple of reasons. Firstly there's the limitation of the IDT's inability to 'cv' things up properly. That's a problem for me with synths in Reason. Secondly I've not been all that overwhelmed by what I've heard. It's just not my thing. The exception being your own very fine percussion IDT RE. Very cool that one & shows the potential of the IDT format very well (the next time it's in a sale I'm grabbing that sucker).

I also don't think the $9 - $19 brigade detract from big hitters. I don't believe people buy RE's just because they are cheap. Even at $9 it's got to appeal beyond price or what's the point of having it in the rack? If it's more expensive it's automatically a more considered purchase obviously. But people have complained about the price of RE's from day 1. IDT's have no bearing on this. Quite the opposite I think because if people just want cheap RE's they've got them now (even if they are a bit 'amateurish' :roll: ).

Anyway back on track - Where are all the new RE's, IDT or otherwise?!

Libraquaricorn

13 Apr 2016

This is turning into quite the philosophers corner here... I should probably keep my mouth shut but why not try to put forth a few thoughts since I'm probably your average Reason hobbyist that has left a fair share of my dollars in the Propellarhead shop over the last couple of years.

I used to do stuff in Fastracker II in my early twenties, recording to minidisc...it sounded like it was run through Crapr3, but It was my passion in life and it kept fueling my dream of becoming an independent music producer. Then life happened and I had kids and I dropped out of doing music for a long time. The likeminded people I used to mingle with back in the days that had any success sold out and became - in my view - mainstream. I still had my dream and my passion, but it was stuck under a pile of diapers and responsibilities. Then, in 2013 I realized that I could actually afford a DAW and some midi gear and suddenly I had my very own tiny studio. I had tried a cracked version of Reason 1 some 10 years earlier so I was lightly familiar with it and eventually that made me decide on getting Reason 7 when the time had come for me to take on the modern DAW. I also looked into Cubase and Reaper and even Ableton Live, but the hassle with the VST format and the violently steep learning curve of Ableton put me off. Reason was hassle free, intuitive, a delight to play around and experiment with and I felt like a wannabe producer in a professional studio. I still do. I love the Re format! I love the fact that I can log in on any computer and press Sync All and be transported directly to my very own studio. THAT is what I call progress!

So, what kind of a customer am I? Well, I am a hobbyist. I do my uncompromising music, true to my dreams in an environment I could not dream of only a few years ago. I am trigger happy in the Prop Shop and if I have any unexpected money to spare I usually spend it there. But I'm a bit pussled by the capitalist pessimism on display here. Is the sustainability of a DAW dependent on perpetual growth? That seems strange to me. I can't very well buy every rack extension in the shop. I came into some money recently that I had not expected, so yesterday - after some careful consideration - I spent 307 $ in the Shop. I bought PSQ-1684, Uhbik G, Elements Filter, Elements Lo-Fi, Crapre 2, Additive Oscillator by Wiz, Auto Theory and FRG-4RE. A fine mix of new and old Re's. I hope this helps keeping the DAW of my dreams alive. I did not buy Zero, although I considered it. If i could have trialed it again I might have. Or if it was less expensive. Well, I think I got more bang for my 300 bucks leaving Zero out this time, high end or not.

Well, I get to live my old dream of being an independent music producer, as a hobby. It's not more expensive than any other hobby a 40+ year old dude might have and it means cash for the Props and their devs on a more or less regular basis. I don't know how i fit in, in the Reason user demographics, but I guess I believe that the music I use Reason to make is more unique than me as a Reason user.

Peace and prosperity for you all!

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

14 Apr 2016

Benedict wrote:This is exactly the same as the anti-SynthEdit thing that grew over at KVR.

Would we go to a Guitar Center and suggest that the cheap Strat clones be stripped from the shop so we were only looking at Gibson Les Paul '69 Sunbursts and '54 Gretch Hollow bodies? Of course then insisting they were too expensive. I think not. A guitar is a guitar, and so a synth is a synth.

IDT is a method of making a synth (in the broader sense of the term). Sure some may become repetitive but having made sounds for a few IDT now, each is capable of delivering some cool things. Sure, I bet Props were more hoping for Kontakt style libraries with clever scripting than $9 "synthettes" but really, like SynthEdit it is out of those little Devs that some cool and unexpected things grow. If we make those smaller Devs feel like frauds, will they be more likely to step up and make those cool things?

No, unfortunately this isn't the same as SynthEdit debates at all.

Comparing the PropShop with KVR or and SynthEdit/Reaktor et al is not really applicable. There are lots of shops, on and off line selling guitars. And there are a lot more people buying stuff for a wide range of compatible products (and also "not buying" stuff for compatible products too, equally likely to be a "professional", but that's a different debate entirely ;) )

The PropShop is a curated shop, a closed environment, where everything is sold together. And worse, it doesn't even show you everything available on screen if you don't scroll down and continue loading the page. What the hell ever happened to opening a page and the server just loading it?! Now it's open a page and scroll down to load it: eventually people tire of scrolling and waiting for more of the page to appear and stop scrolling. So a user can search for "synth" in Reason and not see half of those available as the results are bulked out by low-value product.

With VST/SynthEdit/etc users have to search the web. Even finding out about something via KVR one still has to actively visit elsewhere to grab it. There isn't a single point of contact (and thus, failure) for accessing plugins. And despite our best efforts there is, bafflingly, no desire in PH whatsoever to improve the shop behaviours. While Reaktor instruments are, afaik, largely through NI's Reaktor portal site, but comparisons there aren't really valid as those are all free anyway, so it's not a shop. And despite the "w0w that's 4ws0m3!!!1!" reviews, most I heard are pretty terrible.

Yay! Car analogy time! What you have in the PropShop is people visiting to buy a Porsche, but they only get shown the Dacia Sandero. In the real world, these two are unlikely to be in the same shop. But you need a car right now, and at least it's cheap, so you buy the Sandero. Next time you visit you see that 911 but now you can't afford it, and you can't even resell the Sandero to help fund it.

There's a lot of decent and even excellent freestuff in VST land, but you have to go find it. PropShop is a different environment and can't support free and low-end stuff as it just swamps the higher margin products PH and business-level devs need to sell to pay their mortgages.

And incidentally, to be clear the issue of pseudo-synths has got nothing whatsoever to do with the sound quality and their ability to do cool things with their individual merits, or criticism of hobbyists, as that's how a lot of us started. Wavetable romplers like [insert element here] have their place, that's why IDT even included that functionality, after all (I did buy Orange, liked it enough to do a whole track with it). However, I do seriously question the thought process behind releasing five of the things, sold for peanuts, from just one person in almost as many months. And I do hope those doing these types of products are putting them together with newly created samples the dev has made themselves and not illicitly repackaging Architecture or somesuch.

Benedict
Competition Winner

14 Apr 2016

So it seems your issue is

#1) with the layout and searchability of the Shop. I get you and largely agree.

#2) that smaller, cheaper products swamp your ability to sell your own offerings. I kinda get you but that strays too far out of Free Enterprise for my comfort.

If #1 is improved, any Dev who creates a unique/special product and lets users know it exists then stands a fair chance of growing. Even with #1 as it is, I will scroll to the end of the every growing and re-arranging list from time to time.

And I feel you on paying the bills. I have a few myself, esp now I done spent all my savings on an apartment and am back to worrying about saving a nest egg again (along with all the other things I worry about like a girlfriend, Mother, selling fruit...)

Benedict Roff-Marsh

challism

14 Apr 2016

boobytrap wrote:
K.Markov wrote:
riemac wrote:
Electric-Metal wrote:
boobytrap wrote:...Antidote is the only Pro Type Synth that we have.
Seems you´ve forgot about Predator.
And Blamesoft Zero... ;-)

And Korg Mono/Poly... :mrgreen:

And kHs One.

I think there are a ton of great synths available in the Reason rack.

What about those mentioned above, in addition to: Parsec, Revival, Tres, Oberon, Viking, Ivoks, Vecto and Quad. Those are all pretty bad ass synths, if you ask me.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

boobytrap

14 Apr 2016

challism wrote:
I think there are a ton of great synths available in the Reason rack.

What about those mentioned above, in addition to: Parsec, Revival, Tres, Oberon, Viking, Ivoks, Vecto and Quad. Those are all pretty bad ass synths, if you ask me.
Ranking Of Synths

Class 5

Antidote

Class 4

Predator, kHs One, Zero, Megasaur, Quad, Vecto, FM4, Paesec, PX7, VK-1 Viking, Korg, Tres, Redominater, ABL3

Class 3

Ivoks, Snalkebite, Chip 64, Driver, 4MER, Oberon, Noxious, Orbis, JPS,

DLDTech

14 Apr 2016

That's an interesting ranking - is that personal preference, or some sort of logic? What happened to class 1 and 2??
Megasaur Supersaw synth now released Follow @DLDTechnology for new stuff!

boobytrap

14 Apr 2016

DLDTech wrote:That's an interesting ranking - is that personal preference, or some sort of logic? What happened to class 1 and 2??
You can think Rest of other Synths fall in to Class 1 & 2. But the truth is there are no Class 1 & 2. Also I use a Cosmic method for Ranking.

Skullture

14 Apr 2016

JiggeryPokery wrote:
Skullture wrote:
boobytrap wrote:[

so the dev has to repackage it in a new format and pretend it's a new thing for another nine bucks. But all those $9–19 synths stack up and take money out the market that some people might have saved for a better, dedicated synth with all the advantages that confers.
Since I'm no expert, could I ask what synths are IDT based in the P-shop? (except for ProjectSAM)

Faastwalker

14 Apr 2016

dbl post
Last edited by Faastwalker on 18 Apr 2016, edited 2 times in total.

eXode

14 Apr 2016

Skullture wrote:Since I'm no expert, could I ask what synths are IDT based in the P-shop? (except for ProjectSAM)
I believe all the RE's by Skrock Music are IDT based (including the just released Solaris), then we have the Studio Corbach stuff (Mixfood), and also Turn2on (Blackpole Station, and Meteora), and DNA Labs Hydronexius Workstation.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

14 Apr 2016

eXode wrote:
Skullture wrote:Since I'm no expert, could I ask what synths are IDT based in the P-shop? (except for ProjectSAM)
I believe all the RE's by Skrock Music are IDT based (including the just released Solaris), then we have the Studio Corbach stuff (Mixfood), and also Turn2on (Blackpole Station, and Meteora), and DNA Labs Hydronexius Workstation.
At the risk of sounding partisan, Hydronexius is not—at my request as a condition for developing it—labelled a synth: it is advertised as a preset rompler, so I wouldn't list it along side the sample-synths. And with Mixfood, at least Bou labelled Orange as a "Sample-based Synth", so again users can make an informed decision as they should know exactly what they're getting in advance.

Now say the same about the oddly-named Aurora Hybrid Synth, that appears so monikered for no other reason than Zero did it the previous month.

Solaris seems to be largely Aurora with a few resampled instruments added.

Skrock
RE Developer

14 Apr 2016

The reason for Auroras hybrid label is that i designed some of the wavetables to do stuff that you normally find on other synths. Like changing the phase of a sawtooth wave or changing the pulsewidth on a square. Mixed with other wavetables included, that enables the creation of sounds that you usually might need two synths or more for. Solaris is a synth inspired by korg m1, I hope people like it.
https://www.skrockmusic.com/
https://soundcloud.com/derekstrike
https://soundcloud.com/marcusbits
I make music in Reason using using Skrock synths and the creative tools from other developers!

electrochoc (PRX-A)

14 Apr 2016

I may be wrong on some devices, but here's, to my knowledge, the list of IDT-based instruments currently available in the shop:

Propellerhead

- A-List Acoustic Guitarist
    - Pop Chords A-List Electric Guitarist
    - Power Chords A-List Electric Guitarist
    - A-List Studio Drummer

DNA Labs

- Hydronexius Workstation ROM

Jiggery Pokery Sound

- Combo Compact Organ
    - Combo Continental Organ
    - Combo X-705 Space Organ
    - Combo 310 Unique Organ
    - Combo B3 Tonewheels Organ
    - Republik Handheld Percussion

ProjectSAM

- ProjectSAM Orchestral Sampler

Skrock Music

- Nautilus Bass Synthesizer
    - Aurora Hybrid Synthesizer
    - Iridium Distortion Synth
    - Orbis Wavetable Synthesizer
    - Solaris

Soundiron

- Soundiron Emotional Piano

Studio Corbach

- Mixfood Orange
    - Mixfood Unison Xs Sample-based Synth
    - Mixfood Ambi Nature Ambiance-creator

Turn2on

- Meteora Sample Based Rompler
    - Blackpole Station Polyphonic Synthesizer
    This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

Faastwalker

14 Apr 2016

Have at look at the rear view image in the RE shop. If you only see 'gate' & 'note' CV inputs that's usually a give away. IDT doesn't really do CV, which I think is a major handicap in the context of the Reason Rack. Especially for synths. It's bread & butter stuff in Reason so it's a real shame IDT's (at least currently) don't have the capacity to utilize this much loved Reason fundamental.

PadShifta

16 Apr 2016

I buy IDT based synths every now and then because they often offer material that is just different to what we have inside Reason. Take the stereofield properties or other sound characteristics for example. For some reason, we still don´t have synths with quite the punch of a SPIRE or SYLENTH or most of the pre-fabricated wav-samples, which we hear in modern edm, trance and dubstep. They come along turboboosted with broadness, chorus and impact. Some IDT synths offer me those sounds or at least something close to it and that is why I am interested in them. I´d love to see more super buffed up and beefy IDT Instruments in the future. Too bad that HYDRONEXIUS is mostly trap-oriented (love it anyways). If only DNA-Labs would craft an IDT monster with focus on club, trance and edm... :roll:

Maybe I should point out that my favorite "real" synths (which are actually capable of almost the equal amount of punch) are ANTIDOTE and ZERO!! Totally love these synths! But afterall we´re talking about IDT instruments, not synths here, right!?

Cheers, Andy :geek:
    Last edited by PadShifta on 16 Apr 2016, edited 3 times in total.

• Information