Solaris In the Shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
boobytrap

14 Apr 2016

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/solaris/
Solaris.png
Solaris.png (1.8 MiB) Viewed 2967 times
Last edited by boobytrap on 14 Apr 2016, edited 1 time in total.
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

Benedict
Competition Winner

14 Apr 2016

Thanks Mr Trap for the heads up.

OT Q: I see you have Reason and Bitwig. Do you use them at once and if so how?

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

boobytrap

14 Apr 2016

Benedict wrote:Thanks Mr Trap for the heads up.

OT Q: I see you have Reason and Bitwig. Do you use them at once and if so how?

That's very Hard one. ok.. I have 5 DAW's. Reason, Bitwig Studio One 2, Renoise and recently FL 12. I bought Bitwig that's a cool looking Daw and similar to Ableton. Ableton is 799$ and I don't have that kind of money to spend. Bitwig is still New and entry. only I try to learn something from it now. also I use it for generate ideas. Renoise is a Tracker, I really bought that for fun. honestly I'm not a Pro with anything. finally I bought FL12 with is I using for make MIDI structure and export to Reason. coz FL 12 is most Fastest MIDI Workflow Ever but Reason is my Main Daw forever .

answer is I use FL for MIDI and Reason for rest of all ....

p.s. I don't wanna talk about SO2
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

Vince-Noir-99

14 Apr 2016

Wow! Is this the first 2D interface in the Reason Rack?
Maverick design choice. I like. :thumbs_up:

Miguel da Wu

14 Apr 2016

I like the demotrack. sounds really good.

Yonatan

14 Apr 2016

First synth since long that I really get interested in trying out.

Skullture

14 Apr 2016

Vince-Noir-99 wrote:Wow! Is this the first 2D interface in the Reason Rack?
Maverick design choice. I like. :thumbs_up:
Correct me if i'm wrong, but the Rob Papen devices are also in 2D design.

selig
RE Developer

14 Apr 2016

Just to clarify, there is no reason a synth like this could not have been released from the beginning, except for any possible custom displays that may be used (I haven't looked at this synth yet). The "2D" approach can produce "3D" looking devices, and the "3D" approach can produce "2D" looking devices. For example, all VSTs and AUs etc are produced as 2D, even the ones that look "3D". I think there may be some confusion that with the ability to design REs in 2D that they must look 2D in the final product, which is not true. Just like a photo or painting is 2D but can represent 3D objects, the same is true with REs developed in 2D. The converse is also true - you can use a 3D modeling app to build an interface that looks totally 2D! Just wanted to clarify…
Selig Audio, LLC

Pinkbox

14 Apr 2016

I would say realistic design vs. flat design.... wich is ugly btw :P

miscend

14 Apr 2016

At first glance just 159 patches isn't really that much. But the audio demos sound really good.

GRIFTY

14 Apr 2016

Synth looks great, samples sound great, price is great, might have to give this one a try

Emian

14 Apr 2016

i actually dig the GUI on this a lot... verry sterile !

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

Heater

14 Apr 2016

It's got a very old school Roland D50 type sound. I like it.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

14 Apr 2016

I beta tested this RE and had great fun with it, easy to use..

I've done a quick demo using this RE http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7494295 using 46 of them in total.

Note: most of the time DSP was on 2 bars peaking at 3, only in one part it was at 3 bars with a couple of peaks at 4.

Also note I have created a Nektar remote mapping for this RE which can be found at http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7491466

Regards
Carly (aka PoohBear).

Last edited by Carly(Poohbear) on 15 Apr 2016, edited 1 time in total.

geronimo

14 Apr 2016

Why are there not screen printing to indicate LFO and Modulation envelopes on the GUI ?

Benedict
Competition Winner

14 Apr 2016

HI all

Anther patch/sound demo using the patches I made. I enjoyed making these and yes Solaris manages to have a unique flavor.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

wishinghand

14 Apr 2016

I like the look, I'm excited to see some more non-skeumorphic devices. I would have liked more routing possibilities. The sound demos are really appealing to me.

Aquila

15 Apr 2016

I like the look of this. Might give it a go :)

miscend

15 Apr 2016

Anyone compared to the Korg M1 yet?

Yonatan

16 Apr 2016

There´s quite a lot of 80´s sci-fi feeling with this one. And that is nice.

Juan Rosa

16 Apr 2016

Real nice! sound and price! But you can do better with the interfase.

TheGodOfRainbows

16 Apr 2016

It's funny how people can disagree about the interface with such diverse opinions as "the worst" to "the best". For my eyes though, this is the kind of interface I like. Simple, clean, no fake screws (sorry, but its 2016, leave the screws in Subtractor and the rest, but no more pl0x).

Rob Papen's devices are some of the hardest on my eyes (and brain sometimes) GUI-wise. I like Windows 10's interface. I would like to see Propellerhead cave in and embrace the post skeumorphic era. I'm not saying everything needs to be 100% 2d and flat, I definitely like the use of depth and texture, but I think some devices favor aesthetics over functionality. The one that I think of the most in this regard is Rob Papen Sub Boom Bass. I hate the graffiti text intensely. I have to use OS magnifier to use the device. This will not be so with Solaris judging by the screen shot.

TLDR
I like clean, dark, yet colorful, interfaces like this one, with less shiny knobs that have amazing and distracting photorealism. A 50% blend of skeuomorphic and 50% flat/clean I would prefer just for the sake of not being overwhelmed by little details on devices that have no function (like screws, plugs, and FAKE BUTTONS which are unforgivable). And larger numbers and letters on devices meters. No more of this 5 pt bitmap pixelfest text. It's 2016. Like Steve Balmer said back in the 70's "Vectors, vectors, vectors."

Pinkbox

16 Apr 2016

I have nothing against "flat design" for itself.
You can't compare Windows 10 which as a complete flat design (and designed for phones before computers) and Reason which has a realistic design and philosophy (like a real studio, with wires and everything...).
I've used Ableton Live in the past and I've always been bothered by VST with realistic design, in a flat environment. It's just a matter of global design.
I should have said : Solaris' design is ugly in the rack. :) But it's really clean itself.
And it's quite unfair to take Rob Papen Boom Bass for a counter example :) Of course this design is disturbing, but if you take Etch red, Echobode or PMS-20, these guys fit perfectly in the rack and it's a pleasure to work with theses Re just for the GUI.

I tried Solaris this morning and it sounds fantastic. I've been looking for a new non-FM synth these past few weeks, and I think this one will be the one (even if there's no LFO in!).
:thumbs_up:

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

17 Apr 2016

Pinkbox wrote: I tried Solaris this morning and it sounds fantastic. I've been looking for a new non-FM synth these past few weeks, and I think this one will be the one (even if there's no LFO in!).
:thumbs_up:
Wack it in a combinator and you can control most things via an external LFO if you want :)

• Information