Can any Dev make a Sidechain RE

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
selig
RE Developer

11 Jul 2016

Vyckeil wrote:
selig wrote:
Vyckeil wrote:Since audio was introduced in Reason, what we really need is sequencer automation curves. It's so much easier to line up the curves and automation perfectly to the audio compared to a device in a rack. Devices are fine for synth-based stuff, but it's a pain to time it right and tight to an audio sample in the sequencer. Then you can either bounce to channel or copy-paste the setup in blocks for further tweaking in other parts of the song.

There are tons of really good CV and automation devices that do what we want already.
But then you can't "play" the effect - there's no interaction, though I agree there are advantages to doing it this way. There also need to be track looping options (loop an individual track) for this approach to really work well IMO.
:)
I completely agree with you, but sometimes it's just way better to simply add "that automation" at "that spot" right in the sequencer when composing. It's also much a much better workflow when mixing and editing too.

Nothing is stopping us from using automation devices right now. There are plenty of really good REs and stock devices that do the job. We're still missing proper sequencer automation, and the workarounds we have are not that great. At least have a bunch of standard curves (just like in Synchronous) for the sequencer, and maybe a device that can record CV automation straight in the sequencer without having to use Thor as a workaround. Heck, I want that device with the option of linking automation parameters of other devices so that it could record the automation directly on the lane of the parameter I want to modulate.
I don't think the automation approach is always better. It's like using an LFO for a filter effect vs using automation. Sometimes the LFO is just so much quicker. Plus, you don't always know where you want the effect - with automation you have to copy/paste the entire track just to have a repeating effect. Then if you want to change it, you have to make changes then copy/paste all over again, which is a real workflow killer IMO. An LFO is just so much more immediate in most cases. In fact, I'm not sure when automation is better than an LFO or envelope for most applications - in what cases would you use automation instead of an LFO/Env, and why?
Selig Audio, LLC

Vyckeil

11 Jul 2016

selig wrote:
Vyckeil wrote:
selig wrote:
Vyckeil wrote:Since audio was introduced in Reason, what we really need is sequencer automation curves. It's so much easier to line up the curves and automation perfectly to the audio compared to a device in a rack. Devices are fine for synth-based stuff, but it's a pain to time it right and tight to an audio sample in the sequencer. Then you can either bounce to channel or copy-paste the setup in blocks for further tweaking in other parts of the song.

There are tons of really good CV and automation devices that do what we want already.
But then you can't "play" the effect - there's no interaction, though I agree there are advantages to doing it this way. There also need to be track looping options (loop an individual track) for this approach to really work well IMO.
I completely agree with you, but sometimes it's just way better to simply add "that automation" at "that spot" right in the sequencer when composing. It's also much a much better workflow when mixing and editing too.

Nothing is stopping us from using automation devices right now. There are plenty of really good REs and stock devices that do the job. We're still missing proper sequencer automation, and the workarounds we have are not that great. At least have a bunch of standard curves (just like in Synchronous) for the sequencer, and maybe a device that can record CV automation straight in the sequencer without having to use Thor as a workaround. Heck, I want that device with the option of linking automation parameters of other devices so that it could record the automation directly on the lane of the parameter I want to modulate.
I don't think the automation approach is always better. It's like using an LFO for a filter effect vs using automation. Sometimes the LFO is just so much quicker. Plus, you don't always know where you want the effect - with automation you have to copy/paste the entire track just to have a repeating effect. Then if you want to change it, you have to make changes then copy/paste all over again, which is a real workflow killer IMO. An LFO is just so much more immediate in most cases. In fact, I'm not sure when automation is better than an LFO or envelope for most applications - in what cases would you use automation instead of an LFO/Env, and why?
In most applications where I don't need repeating or synced LOF/Envelopes. As in, select the curve and apply, done! Maybe that's just my ProTools workflow talking but I like to have the audio waveform and the automation just below it so I can adjust it perfectly to my liking. Having the LFO/Envelope in the rack (on a separate "screen") is convoluted and unnatural for simple automation edits.

selig
RE Developer

11 Jul 2016

Vyckeil wrote:
selig wrote:
Vyckeil wrote:
selig wrote:

In most applications where I don't need repeating or synced LOF/Envelopes. As in, select the curve and apply, done! Maybe that's just my ProTools workflow talking but I like to have the audio waveform and the automation just below it so I can adjust it perfectly to my liking. Having the LFO/Envelope in the rack (on a separate "screen") is convoluted and unnatural for simple automation edits.
OK, I agree that if you don't need synced or repeating modulations, then just drawing in the shape is the way to go. Unfortunately, that's hardly ever the case for me (another long time Pro Tools user…)
Selig Audio, LLC

Spryx

11 Jul 2016

After my previous comment, I should point out that I've been using Synchronous lately....due to sheer laziness.
latest:

submonsterz

12 Jul 2016

Spryx wrote:After my previous comment, I should point out that I've been using Synchronous lately....due to sheer laziness.
I noticed a lot of peoples tracks i have breezed through have done just that used a generic side chain and boy do them pops and clicks sound bad under the mix .
Ill lett you figure out why this happens doing that a lot of the time.

Makis

12 Jul 2016

I would love to see something like LFOtool in Reason. Synchronous is close but not quite there.

michal22

12 Jul 2016

Control of automation in the sequencer is OK, but only for simple 4/4 rhythms. When the rhythm is complex with an additional groove that the matter is not simple. Sidechain RE which has a curve triggered by keyboard MIDI (sequencer) or CV gate is the solution here.
Ableton Live Suite 10 / Reason 10 / Windows 10 / Fingers - also 10 ;)

Abstrax

13 Jul 2016

I'm sure this has already been said, but... Why not just make a sidechain cominator???

you could easily pull it off using the the global mod env in a thor and a line mixer. Set up the the lfo to trigger the sidechain or trigger it using midi. It seems relatively straight forward to me.

selig
RE Developer

13 Jul 2016

Abstrax wrote:I'm sure this has already been said, but... Why not just make a sidechain cominator???

you could easily pull it off using the the global mod env in a thor and a line mixer. Set up the the lfo to trigger the sidechain or trigger it using midi. It seems relatively straight forward to me.
That's easy enough, but there's another level of control that a dedicated RE would provide - provided it was designed to do so, of course!
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

tobypearce

14 Jul 2016

Abstrax wrote:I'm sure this has already been said, but... Why not just make a sidechain cominator???

Hi Abstrax

See my post and download in other thread
http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php ... 22#p272822

It has a Reason file with a bunch of different sounding envelopes. I believe these would be difficult to accomplish with pure LFO on mod env. They appear to need finer control over the shape of the envelope.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

Miguel da Wu

14 Jul 2016

i want something like the Vengeance Multiband Sidechain as Rack Extansions. was my first choice in VST for sidechains

riemac

14 Jul 2016

Miguel da Wu wrote:i want something like the Vengeance Multiband Sidechain as Rack Extansions. was my first choice in VST for sidechains
Yes, that would be nice so that the bass can be sidechained more than the highs. But please with an option to switch the multibandfeature off to reduce the cpu usage.

submonsterz

14 Jul 2016

riemac wrote:
Miguel da Wu wrote:i want something like the Vengeance Multiband Sidechain as Rack Extansions. was my first choice in VST for sidechains
Yes, that would be nice so that the bass can be sidechained more than the highs. But please with an option to switch the multibandfeature off to reduce the cpu usage.
You can as i did make a 16 band gate/sidechain plus filter plus compressor using re 180 as its it guts .
Two mins is all it takes to work it all out to make it.

Zac

14 Jul 2016

submonsterz wrote:
riemac wrote:
You can as i did make a 16 band gate/sidechain plus filter plus compressor using re 180 as its it guts .
Please share your creation...? I'd like to try it out. Cheers.

selig
RE Developer

14 Jul 2016

Is the curve drawing really that simple? Seems everyone here wants more complex curve drawing than just what is provided there…
Selig Audio, LLC

submonsterz

16 Jul 2016

Zac wrote:
submonsterz wrote:
riemac wrote:
Please share your creation...? I'd like to try it out. Cheers.
Ill in box you maybe tonight possibally tomorrow night if i get chance to get on music pc by then to search the patches out ok.
But also if you go pm i can try even tailor make something to ya specs if you like .

EntityMusicEnt

08 Aug 2016

Loque wrote::|
Marc64 wrote:cant remember who but someone made a reason file with different automation curves that you could copy/paste to taste.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Good point. Its from that PH guy that made the videos. Cant remember his name atm...
James Benard did it in the micro tutorials I believe.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
:PUF_figure: :reason: :re: :ignition: :record: :refill: :reload: :rt: Scarlett 2i2 2nd Gen - Blue Spark - NI Maschine Mikro mk2 - Nektar Impact LX25 - Motif ES6 - Sony MDR-7506 - Presonus Eris E5

• Information