DVC-1 licenses giveaway

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ravenherz

18 May 2016

Ok, DVC-1 Digital Voltage Comparator is out now. But I want to give away some (4) free licenses. So I've decided to make a challenge,

Competition A (3 licenses):
I'd like to see what kind of creativity DVC-1 means to you. Share a short 4-8-16 bar pattern using DVC-1 and built-in devices. Well, it can be quite anything you can imagine, but the rules are:
- you PM me with a *.reason project download link or post in this thread
- you should only use DVC-1 and built-in devices (including latest 8.*.* version, no other RE's)
- you fully agree that I make choice considering my own taste.
- you are free to use any refills, samples etc. but notice - you should include all the resources into a *.reason song (see Song Self-Contain Settings)

Competition B (1 license):
The product page lacks a good review/tutorial video and my ability to express in english is quite about zero. So I need a third-party review. Consider the rules are:
- you should make a video in english (reason slang is ok, but no obscene lexicon)
- you should PM me a private youtube video link

Challenge begins: today
Challenge ends: 31'st May 2016 at 23:59:59
Feel free to compete in both A and B.

Good luck!
Otto Ravenherz
Last edited by ravenherz on 20 May 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Olivier

18 May 2016

Stickied for the duration of the competition.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Benedict
Competition Winner

18 May 2016

Is it me or is this RE blurry (in the rack)?

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

MDTerps2015

18 May 2016

Benedict wrote:Is it me or is this RE blurry (in the rack)?

Looks blurry to me in the shop. I still dont understand CV so no use to me either way. Basically, i drop and drag what i need and combi anything else. Never have understood cv.
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

Benedict
Competition Winner

18 May 2016

This fella is simply If>then logic. Forget the word logic and look at it this way, quoting Pink Floyd

"If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding.
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?"

IF you haven't eaten your Meat THEN no Pudding for you
IF Pudding is more important than the distaste for Meat, THEN you will eat your Meat

So in a CV:

IF the value of CV 1 is higher than the value of CV 2 THEN take this action, IF NOT THEN take that action

The actions are defined by options like playing the values of a chosen CV input with or without the Modification of another CV or fixed value.

The more you do it the better you get with it

Benedict Roff-Marsh

Benedict
Competition Winner

18 May 2016

Ok, here goes

4 Combis in a row with 1 bar of raw LFO, then 8 bars of same LFO massaged by DVC-1

1. Enveloping the LFO over time
2. Reshaping the LFO with a second LFO
3. Creating a gap in the S&H LFO
4. Another reshaping

While CV's don't alter sound like an effect they can have quite an effect on the sound you perceive.

Here are the Combis and Reason file:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6869239/DVC-1.zip

Last edited by Benedict on 19 May 2016, edited 1 time in total.
Benedict Roff-Marsh

Loque

19 May 2016

I thought the same, was cleaning my eyes all the time and tried to zoom...
Reason12, Win10

ravenherz

20 May 2016

Benedict wrote:Ok, here goes

4 Combis in a row with 1 bar of raw LFO, then 8 bars of same LFO massaged by DVC-1

4. Another reshaping

While CV's don't alter sound like an effect they can have quite an effect on the sound you perceive.

Thank you for these patches and example. It sounds really awesome. May I have your permission to use them on device's page?
Loque wrote:

Now about the interface, the backpanel is appears blurry (unreadable text, that's just a decoration), right?
The front panel shouldn't appear blurry, if so I should find out why it does.

Benedict
Competition Winner

20 May 2016

ravenherz wrote:
Benedict wrote:Ok, here goes

4. Another reshaping

Thank you for these patches and example. It sounds really awesome. May I have your permission to use them on device's page?
Loque wrote:

Now about the interface, the backpanel is appears blurry (unreadable text, that's just a decoration), right?
The front panel shouldn't appear blurry, if so I should find out why it does.
Yes you may use these patches and the piece included.

I wonder if there isn't a little too much antialiasing or feathering on the text (haven't even looked at the back to be honest)

Benedict Roff-Marsh

ravenherz

21 May 2016

Benedict wrote: I wonder if there isn't a little too much antialiasing or feathering on the text (haven't even looked at the back to be honest)
I will fix it soon in 1.0.1, thanks :)

Benedict
Competition Winner

21 May 2016

Benedict Roff-Marsh

challism

22 May 2016

................and the results are in...... Benedict won!

Those are some nice sounds, Benedict.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

FGL

23 May 2016

Bought. Cool Device. Will fit well in my collection.

ravenherz

27 May 2016

Please notice - only 5 days left until the challenge is over. For now it's mostly alike Benedict will get all 3 licenses :D

Benedict
Competition Winner

27 May 2016

ravenherz wrote:Please notice - only 5 days left until the challenge is over. For now it's mostly alike Benedict will get all 3 licenses :D
Come on guys it ain't that hard, wack a couple of CVs into DVC-1 and as soon as they something remotely interesting you have made something.

I deliberately only covered some of the simplest things so you could copy and get more creative.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

challism

29 May 2016

Benedict wrote:
ravenherz wrote:Please notice - only 5 days left until the challenge is over. For now it's mostly alike Benedict will get all 3 licenses :D
Come on guys it ain't that hard, wack a couple of CVs into DVC-1 and as soon as they something remotely interesting you have made something.

I deliberately only covered some of the simplest things so you could copy and get more creative.

SHHHHHH! Don't encourage them. I started working on my submission yesterday night. Hoping for as few competitors as possible. ;)

Compliments to the developer. It is a really cool little CV merger/processor. I probably wouldn't have tried it if it weren't for this contest, as I feel most of my CV needs are covered. But this is pretty unique, so good idea having a contest. I must say that the product page could use an overhaul (in addition to the video you are wanting). The product page really doesn't explain clearly what this device does. I could whip something together for you which will explain it in plain and simple to understand English.

WongoTheSane

29 May 2016

Here's my submission: the Volume Controlled Vibrato. It's an insert effect that adds a vibrato depending of the volume of the source material. It works with instruments (vibraphone, bass...) and also on prerecorded material.
dvc-vcv.JPG
dvc-vcv.JPG (172.35 KiB) Viewed 2275 times
Here is how it works: the sound is routed to an MClass Compressor, set to max ratio. The Gain Reduction CV is then input in slot 1 of a DVC-1. In slot 2 of the DVC-1 is the output from a Subtractor's LFO.

The DVC-1 device then analyses the first CV (the gain reduction factor). If it is > 0 (that is, if some compression is happening), it multiplies it with the LFO value, so that the amplitude of the signal acts as a scaling factor for the LFO. This resulting scaled LFO is then routed to the combinator, which uses it to modulate the Level in a Line Mixer, into which a second copy of the original signal (not compressed) is fed. The higher the signal, the deeper the vibrato. Note that the compressor is not used in the resulting audio, it only serves as an envelope follower of sorts (and neither is Subtractor, which only acts as a LFO source).

Settings:
dvc-combi-settings.JPG
dvc-combi-settings.JPG (15.48 KiB) Viewed 2275 times
- "Threshold" determines both the threshold at which the effect will start to kick in and the depth of the vibrato.
- "LFO Rate" determines the vibrato speed, while "LFO Sync" determines whether the vibrato speed is free-running or synced to tempo.
- "Band Pass" adds a band pass filter in the envelope follower chain, so that the effect can be triggered only when a certain frequency band reaches a certain volume. The "Band" knob determines that frequency (it only has an effect is "Band Pass" is enabled).

Usage:

Drop the combi in a Mixer Channel's or an Audio Channel's Insert FX slot. The routing is done automatically by Reason.
cvc-usage.JPG
cvc-usage.JPG (57.33 KiB) Viewed 2275 times
(patch and demo song are included in the next post because there's a limited number of attached files per post).

WongoTheSane

29 May 2016

Here is the patch itself:
DVC-Volume Controlled Vibrato.zip
(2.1 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
And here is the demo song:
DVC-VCV.zip
(143.86 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
It's an 8-bar of a vibraphone (from the FSB) whose velocity varies.

That was fun :)

ravisoni

29 May 2016

I've given it a go.
It's basically an auto-EQ thing. I routed the audio to BV512 (into the modulator in), and once the EQ was activated, I used CV out from band 4 to trigger auto carving out of ~480Hz in the MClass EQ. Also, if the high bands were not high enough (i.e. if CV value was less than a given number), I used inverted values to boost the highs. I am using CV values as sort of band-loudness readers. If a band is too loud (the low-mids, for example), cut it out. If a band is not loud enough, boost it (the highs).
Not sure if I'll have enough time to give it a go, but this could potentially be used to make an automatic vocal rider as well. I'll have to first figure out how to change audio levels to CV.

Also, I'm a noob to CVs, so perhaps you can answer this for me: Some CV values that I've seen in reason go from -127 to 127 (if looking at it from a bipolar perspective). Any reason why you've chosen -1 to 1? Does 127 correspond to +1 and -127 to -1?

Thanks for any answers, and also for the challenge!

Demo:
(Credit to http://freesound.org/people/Blondie1159/sounds/342130/ for the vocals)

Zip file is attached. I didn't see any samples in the song self-contain settings, so could someone please let me know if the audio is intact in the file when you download?
Attachments
DVC-1 Challenge (Auto EQ) - Ravi Soni.zip
(5.85 MiB) Downloaded 61 times
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

WongoTheSane

30 May 2016

ravisoni wrote:I've given it a go.
It's basically an auto-EQ thing. I routed the audio to BV512 (into the modulator in), and once the EQ was activated, I used CV out from band 4 to trigger auto carving out of ~480Hz in the MClass EQ. Also, if the high bands were not high enough (i.e. if CV value was less than a given number), I used inverted values to boost the highs. I am using CV values as sort of band-loudness readers. If a band is too loud (the low-mids, for example), cut it out. If a band is not loud enough, boost it (the highs).
Not sure if I'll have enough time to give it a go, but this could potentially be used to make an automatic vocal rider as well. I'll have to first figure out how to change audio levels to CV.

Also, I'm a noob to CVs, so perhaps you can answer this for me: Some CV values that I've seen in reason go from -127 to 127 (if looking at it from a bipolar perspective). Any reason why you've chosen -1 to 1? Does 127 correspond to +1 and -127 to -1?

Thanks for any answers, and also for the challenge!

Demo:
(Credit to http://freesound.org/people/Blondie1159/sounds/342130/ for the vocals)

Zip file is attached. I didn't see any samples in the song self-contain settings, so could someone please let me know if the audio is intact in the file when you download?
Great idea, nicely done! And the audio works fine!

challism

30 May 2016

Here is part of my project. I figured I would submit something before time runs out. Just in case I don't get around to it later. I'm trying to work on some other stuff to add to this, all parts using DVC-1. You can here this part here: https://allihoopa.com/s/NooS0chX

For this part, I was sort of inspired by the Reason 9 dual appregiator, not that I have used R9 yet, but I was thinking what would happen if I ran 2 RPG-8 thru the DVC-1? Well the results are kind of cool. And then I used DVC-1 for some Echo delay trigger and filter frequency trickery and threw in an Aligator into the breakout loop. Anyway... here is part 1
Attachments
DVC-1 contest part 1.zip
(70.98 KiB) Downloaded 48 times

challism

30 May 2016

OK, here's part 2.... the bassline. DVC-1 is being controlled by 3 LFOs and the DVC-1 is routed to control some of the formant filter controls of the Thor bass. Listen to it here: https://allihoopa.com/s/TX0UppcZ
DVC-1 CONTEST part 2.zip
(63.72 KiB) Downloaded 55 times

challism

30 May 2016

Alright here is part 3. I added parts 1 & 2 together and added some drums (changed part 1 a bit to make it fit better). Also added some glitch drums, some of the hits are controlled with the DVC-1. https://allihoopa.com/s/boo0w7x8
DVC-1 contest part 3.zip
(2.68 MiB) Downloaded 61 times

WongoTheSane

30 May 2016

challism wrote:Alright here is part 3. I added parts 1 & 2 together and added some drums (changed part 1 a bit to make it fit better). Also added some glitch drums, some of the hits are controlled with the DVC-1. https://allihoopa.com/s/boo0w7x8
DVC-1 contest part 3.zip
You win. </contest>

challism

30 May 2016

WongoTheSane wrote:
challism wrote:Alright here is part 3. I added parts 1 & 2 together and added some drums (changed part 1 a bit to make it fit better). Also added some glitch drums, some of the hits are controlled with the DVC-1. https://allihoopa.com/s/boo0w7x8
DVC-1 contest part 3.zip
You win. </contest>
ha ha, I hope so. This is a sweet device. I'm really having a lot of fun mutating CV with it.

• Information