Vecto - Are people still using it?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
K1TTENM1TTEN

19 May 2016

I remember when Rob Papen's Vecto came out, that it was highly praised and there was much excitement about it. Are people still excited about this synth? Do people still use it? If someone already has Antidote and Predator, does this synth truly do that much "more" than what else is available?

decibel

19 May 2016

actually forgot all about it lol, i might have another look

riemac

19 May 2016

I have Antidote and Predator and still use and like Vecto for it's moving choirs and pad sounds.
For virtual analog sounds I prefer Antidote or Predator.
Quad on the other hand I doen't use anymore. If I could sell it I would.

K1TTENM1TTEN

19 May 2016

riemac wrote:I have Antidote and Predator and still use and like Vecto for it's moving choirs and pad sounds.
For virtual analog sounds I prefer Antidote or Predator.
Quad on the other hand I doen't use anymore. If I could sell it I would.
So would you say that Vecto is mostly for pads then? And do you feel like you can get more out of Vecto for pads than Antidote?

riemac

19 May 2016

K1TTENM1TTEN wrote: So would you say that Vecto is mostly for pads then? And do you feel like you can get more out of Vecto for pads than Antidote?
I wouldn't say that Vecto is only good for pads. Vecto has four oscillators which can be used for virtual analog sounds, fm sounds and a lot more.
But Vecto has some very unique samples like choir etc. which you doen't find in other synths and which are very good for ambient pad sounds.

On the other side Vecto isn't good for supersaw like sounds or pads. If you are after that Antidote is the right choice.

K1TTENM1TTEN

19 May 2016

riemac wrote:
K1TTENM1TTEN wrote: So would you say that Vecto is mostly for pads then? And do you feel like you can get more out of Vecto for pads than Antidote?
I wouldn't say that Vecto is only good for pads. Vecto has four oscillators which can be used for virtual analog sounds, fm sounds and a lot more.
But Vecto has some very unique samples like choir etc. which you doen't find in other synths and which are very good for ambient pad sounds.

On the other side Vecto isn't good for supersaw like sounds or pads. If you are after that Antidote is the right choice.
Well like I said, I do have Antidote (to which I still believe is one of the few "Must Haves" for Reason) and I do enjoy it quite a bit for its fatness. Admittedly, I bought Predator, but have never really given it a solid go as it is a bit more complex/sounds a bit thinner than Antidote. I have used Thor for a majority of my pad sounds up until I got Jiggery-Pokery's amazing Harmonic Synth, which has pretty much been one of my go-tos ever since. But I am still on the search for something "different." The pads I am looking for are like those in what one would probably call "Modern Worship" with songs like Oceans (
and Shores (
(which apparently 2014 was the unofficial year of water-inspired song titles apparently, haha). I am looking for something that is thick, but not fat. Something that is airy but doesn't lack depth. Something that slightly transforms as it is held down without being all over the place with too much movement. Oh! And something that does not sound like it is from the early 90's/Korg Wavestation, haha. From your experience, is Vecto this synth?

raymondh

19 May 2016

I think you would like Vecto based on what you described you are looking for.

I use it often and like it. It isn't your workhorse synth but complementary.

tibah

19 May 2016

Vecto is great. I went for Predator in the last RP sale, and wish I went for Vecto. The song challenge was fun. Guess I got tempted by 1. having the VST back in the days and 2. THAT MANY PRESETS.

Now, taking your sound examples, I would say have a look into Parsec for that shimmery, but wide/bright pad sound. I love the combination of Parsec and Neutron for those kind of sounds, so check out both.

This is Parsec with Neutron as the main sound (and TONS of reverb, doh!), some WaveFront sampler patch for layering - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/130 ... biance.mp3

:)

K1TTENM1TTEN

19 May 2016

tibah wrote:Vecto is great. I went for Predator in the last RP sale, and wish I went for Vecto. The song challenge was fun. Guess I got tempted by 1. having the VST back in the days and 2. THAT MANY PRESETS.

Now, taking your sound examples, I would say have a look into Parsec for that shimmery, but wide/bright pad sound. I love the combination of Parsec and Neutron for those kind of sounds, so check out both.

This is Parsec with Neutron as the main sound (and TONS of reverb, doh!), some WaveFront sampler patch for layering - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/130 ... biance.mp3

:)
I had never even heard of Neutron until you mentioned that RE. I am honestly a bit surprised as I do tend to keep up-to-date with these things, haha! I will definitely give that track a listen to as well. My only issue with Parsec was that when I demo'd it, it did not impress me at all. It just felt like a SFX generator and I could never really seem to make it very "musical" - it felt just a bit harsh and thin. I will try it out again though and see what can happen.

tibah

19 May 2016

Neutron had a recent "reload", for creating that shimmer reverb some people, myself included, like a lot. :)

I agree that Parsec can be a bit weird to like but it has great potential to get "more" if you can get past a certain point with it.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

19 May 2016

Vecto and Parsec really excel at weird and wonderful sounds. Everything evolving and with movement can be done inside it and vecto has a bunch of wavesets that sound really good.

It is also nice for some sort of leads based on flutes and stuff like that. If you consider how it was built around those sounds, you can look at it in the middle of the AWM type of synthesis you have in Yamaha Motif and other hibrid synth/Sampler stuff. But the most strong in it is the way you can make evolving stuff with the vector section (something you also had in M1, and other samplers).

Anyway, as i do a lot of world and new age music, i already have 3 songs i used Vecto.

A little note about quad, i had it before Vecto. First it is a wonderfull synth too. I never dwelved much into the specifics, but there are a bunch of gems in the patches and i used already on a couple of arrangements for clients.
For me Quad is a little more gritty than Vecto. That does not mean you cannot do Quad stuff on Vecto (i think it is more complete than it), but i don't think you have the same Phase Distortion and WaveShaping abilities. So they are different, and you can do different stuff from one another.

Anyway, i understand the differences between the various devices, but unfortunately i lack the time to invest on them in the sound design side of things. But if you ask me if i use them, yep sure!

BTW, one of the things i do when i buy or test a refill or Re, i usually spend some hours exploring the patches that come with it. So, a bunch of stuff goes to folders with favourites. At some point i remember a particular sound and where it is in those favorites, but i don't really care much if it is a refill, an Re, etc. I've used amazing sounds that i still love today, and the come from 6 year old refills. And no despite for example lately i've not being using PX7 a lot, i would defenitely not sell it if i could because i know i might get back to it one of this days.

K1TTENM1TTEN

19 May 2016

tibah wrote:Neutron had a recent "reload", for creating that shimmer reverb some people, myself included, like a lot. :)

I agree that Parsec can be a bit weird to like but it has great potential to get "more" if you can get past a certain point with it.
So I have read through the description but have not really seen anything about it being used as a reverb. Are you using a chain of Parsec -> Neutron -> Reverb unit? Or does Neutron, itself, actually function as a Reverb-type RE?

tibah

19 May 2016

K1TTENM1TTEN wrote:
tibah wrote:Neutron had a recent "reload", for creating that shimmer reverb some people, myself included, like a lot. :)

So I have read through the description but have not really seen anything about it being used as a reverb. Are you using a chain of Parsec -> Neutron -> Reverb unit? Or does Neutron, itself, actually function as a Reverb-type RE?
There is a combi by selig who uses nothing but 3 Neutron in series to create a reverb.

http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php ... mer#p19891

Otherwise, depending on where you put Neutron, it will create different results. Experimentation is key. :)

I just came with an idea how I would try to create such a sound. Vecto is still sweet! :D

JNeffLind

19 May 2016

I use Vecto mainly for pads. Specifically a lot of cool choir sounds that can add a lot of thickness when paired with a sharper (fast attack, more piercing) sound.

Melody303

19 May 2016

What do you folks think about Vecto's filters & effects? How about in comparison to Predator/Antidote/Thor/Subtractor?
I have VA uses in mind when I'm asking this question, if that matters.
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

samardac

28 Jun 2016

From my exepriments I can say that Vecto uses abolutley the same stuff that Predator uses, filters, basic waveforms, effects etc. You can reproduce practically any preset from Predator by setting absolutley the same values to ascilators, filters etc. I thing Rob papen just reuse engine from Predator.
So Vecto personaly for me is much more powerfull synth then Predator.
Last edited by samardac on 28 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

samardac

28 Jun 2016

But Vecto still is far behind Korg Wavestation wich is absolute monster, Vecto is just a little toy.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

29 Jun 2016

K1TTENM1TTEN wrote:I remember when Rob Papen's Vecto came out, that it was highly praised and there was much excitement about it. Are people still excited about this synth? Do people still use it? If someone already has Antidote and Predator, does this synth truly do that much "more" than what else is available?
deja vu, just replied to your Parsec post.

Again, loved the Vecto, created what I call the BFV (Big F**king Vecto), I use the Vector to control 4 separate synths, get some real nice effects from it, nice samples.

This track is all Vecto, 21 of them..

miscend

30 Jun 2016

samardac wrote:But Vecto still is far behind Korg Wavestation wich is absolute monster, Vecto is just a little toy.
How so?

samardac

30 Jun 2016

miscend wrote:
samardac wrote:But Vecto still is far behind Korg Wavestation wich is absolute monster, Vecto is just a little toy.
How so?
One part of Korg Legasy Wavestation consist of 8 patches, eatch patch consist of 4 oscilators so it have 32 oscilators (its like running 8 Vectos). Also it have wave sequncing feature absolutley unicue feature, that I never meet in any other synths. Total amount of samples is 484 witch include single cycle, looped or transient waveforms(drums, percusions...) A lot of waveforms are realy rare and unicue. WS also have I do not remember exactly but about 50 effects.
So you can compare it with your self.
I think Rob Papen used WS as refference but Vecto turned very, very simple. I think it is because first of all they made it to earn money and if it was as complex as WS nobody will buy it and second I understood that WS was made by team of super proffesionals that icluded Dave Smith witch was founder of Sequential Circuits.

jjpscott01

30 Jun 2016

All of Rob Papen's stuff is excellent but Vecto for me holds a special place in the rack. If im working on anything ambient or cinematic, it always seems to find its way onto the track and enhance what ive already laid down. Its also one of the instruments I really enjoy tweaking the sound of and layering to make new sounds. If you do any kind of Film Score, Ambient, Sound-scape type work its really an awesome synth to work with. Highly recommended here.
| REASON 12 | BITWIG 5 | CUBASE 13 | SSL2+ | AUDIENT ID4 | ERIS E5 MONITORS | ESP LTD TE-212 | MXL MICS | LES PAUL TRADITIONAL PRO II | NEKTAR T4 |[/color] :reason: :re: :PUF_balance: :refill:

4filegate

01 Jul 2016

They are also known as the Elves

raymondh

01 Jul 2016

samardac wrote:
miscend wrote:
How so?
One part of Korg Legasy Wavestation consist of 8 patches, eatch patch consist of 4 oscilators so it have 32 oscilators (its like running 8 Vectos). Also it have wave sequncing feature absolutley unicue feature, that I never meet in any other synths. Total amount of samples is 484 witch include single cycle, looped or transient waveforms(drums, percusions...) A lot of waveforms are realy rare and unicue. WS also have I do not remember exactly but about 50 effects.
I think Rob Papen used WS as refference but Vecto turned very, very simple. I think it is because first of all they made it to earn money and if it was as complex as WS nobody will buy it and second I understood that WS was made by team of super proffesionals that icluded Dave Smith witch was founder of Sequential Circuits.
I used to own a Korg Wavestation EX and it was a favourite instrument (very nice keyboard action too, not just the sound). But with Vecto I don't miss it. Yes the samples and FX were primo with the WS, but it didn't have a resonant filter (from memory), and if I want a bigger Vecto sound, I'll pop a few into a combinator.

samardac

01 Jul 2016

raymondh wrote:
samardac wrote:
miscend wrote:
How so?
I used to own a Korg Wavestation EX and it was a favourite instrument (very nice keyboard action too, not just the sound). But with Vecto I don't miss it. Yes the samples and FX were primo with the WS, but it didn't have a resonant filter (from memory), and if I want a bigger Vecto sound, I'll pop a few into a combinator.
Legasy WS have Resonant filter, and it sounds very closeto MS 20.

raymondh

01 Jul 2016

samardac wrote:
raymondh wrote:
samardac wrote:
miscend wrote:
How so?
Legasy WS have Resonant filter, and it sounds very closeto MS 20.
Ah - so it doesn't sound like a real (hardware) Wavestation then.

Still - Korg did a great job with their software emulations. Polysix and Mono/Poly are great. I wish they'd port the rest of their legacy collection to rack extensions.

• Information