Best Stereo Bus Compressor?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
skie

24 May 2016

Hi, Looking for a possible upgrade to the MClass Compressor in my mastering chain....currently have Synapese GQ-7 -> Mclass Comp -> Stereo Widener -> Ozone. How is the McDSP bus comp? Thank you for helping me take advantage of this week's sale!

16BitBear

24 May 2016

I just bought the McDSP C670 when the sale started. So far, I am really liking it. It adds a nice warmth and analogish feel for me which is important in the music I create. I have not used it on the master bus yet but for drums and synths, it has been very good. I also like Red Rock's C1-L1. It is super versatile and makes a fantastic master bus compressor. I pretty much use it now on all of my 'retro' synthwave and techno/house tracks. The McDSP compressor bundle is on sale right now, so that might be a great way to get all three.

dvdrtldg

25 May 2016

I'd second the vote for C1-L1, for my money it's just a great all-round versatile piece of kit. McDSP C670 is also very simple, very nice and to my ears, completely transparent if that's what you're after

I also like FXpansion's DCAM Bus Comp, a lot

Loque

25 May 2016

It depends on what kind of sound is on your bus. McDSP 670 is a good allrounder and easy to use, FRGE is faster with more saturation, Moo is good for warm bassy sounds.

R2A reminds me at 670, but i like 670 more - maybe depends on use case.

C1-L1 is one of the best for everything, except saturation imo. Tube-Tech is similar, but a bit more boomy presence.

Mace is also a good allrounder with good saturation.

FET is awsome for drums. And Dynamite is not realy a compressor, but it goes in the direction - also great for drums.

SSL is clean like the MClass, but not available for the rack or bus :thumbs_down:

There are also some multiband compressors available, but they are difficult to use.

Defently no recommendation from my side for DCAM, and Rough Rider only for specific effekts.
Reason12, Win10

16BitBear

25 May 2016

Hi Loque I have been using C1-L1 the most and like the 670, it is a great allrounder but does lack in saturation.

Would you recommend Mace as the best compressor if one were seeking more saturation? Would it make a good compliment to the C1-L1 and the C670? I like to be somewhat judicious in my purchases and don't want or need every RE compressor there is.

Loque

25 May 2016

DJBuddhaBear wrote:Hi Loque I have been using C1-L1 the most and like the 670, it is a great allrounder but does lack in saturation.

Would you recommend Mace as the best compressor if one were seeking more saturation? Would it make a good compliment to the C1-L1 and the C670? I like to be somewhat judicious in my purchases and don't want or need every RE compressor there is.
Yes. C1-L1 has mid/side compression, but the Mace does it with one instance. The limiter if driven hard in Mace has a quite good and clean saturation with adjustable soft/hard and it sounds better and more saturared than C1-L1. The limiter does not go to low, so you need to tweak it with the gain knobs. If you look for more saturation in general, you also should have a look to GClip and FRGE. GClip is an easy to use limiter with nice saturation, but it may (under very special circumstances) crash by producing an internal overflow.

You may also like Red Rocks Multiband Compressor. I like the saturation, but its quite expensive.

Finaly, try and test if they fit your needs.

For more sound coloring instead of saturation, check out FET. If you need more shape, try Malstroem or Thor.
Last edited by Loque on 25 May 2016, edited 1 time in total.
Reason12, Win10

16BitBear

25 May 2016

Yes, I already use Malstroem when I need more shape. I don't want to risk a crash so I will likely pass on GClip. I am going to trial Mace as it sounds like just what I need. It is not a part of the sale but is decently priced as is. I will also look at FRGE especially since it is on sale, though I probably should have just sprung for the McDSP bundle instead of going piecemeal. :roll: :lol:

Thanks for sharing the information - much appreciated. :puf_smile:

Loque

25 May 2016

You should check GClip too. I only had a crash in combination with modulated Movement and 2 hard driven high resonant F-16. Since this patch actually never again.
Reason12, Win10

16BitBear

25 May 2016

OK, I will check it out. I do use the polymodular system quite a bit so hopefully I won't run into such crashes. ;)

tibah

25 May 2016

I use C1-Alpha mostly for this. Just one mode of C1-L1. Otherwise, I use the bus comp in the mixer.

selig
RE Developer

25 May 2016

Maybe I'm just sentimental, but I still prefer the Master Compressor over the other options for most of my stereo bus compression needs…
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

boobytrap

25 May 2016

Loque wrote: C1-L1 is one of the best for everything, .
Yah! C1-L1 is one of the best for everything
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

Djstarski

25 May 2016

selig wrote:Maybe I'm just sentimental, but I still prefer the Master Compressor over the other options for most of my stereo bus compression needs…
;)
do mean the M-Class ?

Loque

25 May 2016

Djstarski wrote:
selig wrote:Maybe I'm just sentimental, but I still prefer the Master Compressor over the other options for most of my stereo bus compression needs…
;)
do mean the M-Class ?
Every track in SSL has a compressor, gater or expander. I dont realy like the gater/expander and the compressor is ok and quite transparent for some quick small compression needs imo.
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

25 May 2016

Djstarski wrote:
;)
do mean the M-Class ?
Master Compressor. Used it for decades on the hardware SSL, still love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Zac

25 May 2016

To cheer myself up I TRIED the Softube Tube-Tech as I'm not going to be able to get it for quite some time and then only in a future sale if there is one. There is a patch called CL1B - Final Mix Warmer that I found worked very well as a master bus comp (it's doing around 1dB gain reduction). I then dialed in the EQs as well. I'm going to miss this RE so I aim to make the most of my trial and hope that I can open the files again sometime in the future :)

Stranger.

25 May 2016

ΣΣΣ
Last edited by Stranger. on 03 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Djstarski

25 May 2016

selig wrote:
Djstarski wrote:
;)
do mean the M-Class ?
Master Compressor. Used it for decades on the hardware SSL, still love it.

thank you . should of known . lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skie

25 May 2016

Thanks for all the input folks. So now I'm between the C1 L1 and the DCAM bus comp for a Master insert. Anybody prefer the DCAM?

GRIFTY

25 May 2016

I'm voting for the master compressor on the SSL. it's one of my favorite compressors in reason, just like selig

skie

25 May 2016

GRIFTY wrote:I'm voting for the master compressor on the SSL. it's one of my favorite compressors in reason, just like selig
Yes I quite like it too, but I can't place it after the EQ in my mastering chain....

Loque

25 May 2016

skie wrote:Thanks for all the input folks. So now I'm between the C1 L1 and the DCAM bus comp for a Master insert. Anybody prefer the DCAM?
I never get DCAM to work for my needs. Good luck.
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

25 May 2016

skie wrote:
GRIFTY wrote:I'm voting for the master compressor on the SSL. it's one of my favorite compressors in reason, just like selig
Yes I quite like it too, but I can't place it after the EQ in my mastering chain....
Sure you can - set inserts to "PRE COMPRESSOR", which you need to do anyway if using side chain EQ/Filtering on the Master Compressor…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

skie

25 May 2016

selig wrote:
skie wrote:
Sure you can - set inserts to "PRE COMPRESSOR", which you need to do anyway if using side chain EQ/Filtering on the Master Compressor…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Right, but Id want my limiter to be post-compressor...

GRIFTY

25 May 2016

Which is totally possible. It's advisable already, actually, to have the limiter be the final piece in the chain before hardware. Flip the rack around and plug it in in between the hardware and master section

• Information