Autofilter RE recommendation

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
The_G

27 May 2016

Is there an auto-filter RE that any of you would recommend? I've got a couple decent VST/AU auto-filters but would like one to use when just working in Reason (i.e. not slaving ReWire to Logic).

Thanks!
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

selig
RE Developer

27 May 2016

The_G wrote:Is there an auto-filter RE that any of you would recommend? I've got a couple decent VST/AU auto-filters but would like one to use when just working in Reason (i.e. not slaving ReWire to Logic).

Thanks!
You looking for something Pulveriser can't do?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

The_G

28 May 2016

selig wrote:
The_G wrote:Is there an auto-filter RE that any of you would recommend? I've got a couple decent VST/AU auto-filters but would like one to use when just working in Reason (i.e. not slaving ReWire to Logic).

Thanks!

Something more specialized, like this.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

jdub

28 May 2016

The_G wrote:
selig wrote:

Thanks!

Something more specialized, like this.
The second paragraph there tells you everything you'd need to know to make your own:
The effect works by analyzing incoming signal levels through use of a threshold parameter. Any signal level that exceeds the threshold is used as a trigger for a synthesizer-style ADSR envelope or an LFO (low frequency oscillator). These control sources are used to dynamically modulate the filter cutoff.
An M-Class compressor can be used for its envelope follower, the output of which could be routed to, e.g., an ECF-42's gate input for triggering its envelope. The gain reduction signal won't be a gate (instantaneous high value), but any non-zero CV can stand in for one just fine; you will want to set ECF-42's velocity parameter to zero if you go that route, though, as it will interpret the gain reduction CV as a very low-velocity gate, meaning that the envelope it triggers won't do much to the filter cutoff if velocity scaling is active.

If you want to use a different filter, you could route the GR output to Thor for triggering its global envelope (GR out to Thor's gate input should do fine), then the global envelope output to the cutoff of the filter of your choice.

Using an LFO instead of envelope would only be slightly more involved; instead of taking the global env output, I would send LFO 2 (activate key sync to reset its phase when it's triggered) to a CV ouput (twice, since Thor's LFOs run at 50% gain by default, IIRC) scaled by the global envelope, which would look like this in the mod matrix:
[Src: LFO 2][Amt: 100][Dst: CV Out][Amt: 100][Dst: CV Out][Scl: Global Env]

I'll have to test these ideas for myself when I'm back in Reason, but I've done similar work before, so I'm fairly certain that they should do the job.

tibah

28 May 2016

Pulverizer is already your best option in Reason. It offers you the follower/envelope, LFO and a distortion, all in one box. jdub's post is also very helpful. If you also have Synchronous (which I highly recommend everyone to own), you have another option to Pulverizer as well. :) The Logic filter *seems* like he does offer more imo.

The_G

28 May 2016

Thanks, guys. I'll look into all these options. Right now I'm doing it all manually (i.e. "scripting" the modulation), which is a pain in the ass.

Synchronous seems interesting in that you can draw the modulation curves.

Also, can't help but think that the lack of an auto-filter RE is an opportunity for some enterprising RE developer!

selig
RE Developer

28 May 2016

The_G wrote:Thanks, guys. I'll look into all these options. Right now I'm doing it all manually (i.e. "scripting" the modulation), which is a pain in the ass.

Synchronous seems interesting in that you can draw the modulation curves.

Also, can't help but think that the lack of an auto-filter RE is an opportunity for some enterprising RE developer!
Not sure if I'm 100% aware of the missing features with Pulveriser, but it appears it's only the trigger function (and the ADSR)?

How useful is this feature? I would think a manual trigger would be more useful, but I've not used the device being referenced here…
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

zero01101

28 May 2016

how has no one mentioned etch red yet? :)

The_G

28 May 2016

zero01101 wrote:how has no one mentioned etch red yet? :)
You know, I tried it some time ago and didn't connect with it but maybe I wasn't really giving it a fair shake. But it seemed--and correct me if in wrong or being unfair--to be better at wobble than "custom-curve" filter sweeps, which is what I'd need it for. But I didn't really test it systematically so I could be dead wrong about that.

electrochoc (PRX-A)

28 May 2016

My main recommandation would be simply to explore CV! As far as I know, no Reason device will do that trick directly (I mean triggering a LFO or an envelop to modulate a filter with a threshold detector), but with CV, this is very simple to do, and there's many ways to do it.

I've just made a little patch to demonstrate that to you. In this patch, I use a Pulverizer as an envelop following (to set the threshold triggering the modulation), and sent the signal to a Maelstrom's gate. This will trigger the first LFO of Maelstrom, set to one-shot, which will then modulate the filter frequency of a second Pulverizer, used as a filter. Use key C3 to hear the result! :D

Oh! And play with the Maelstrom LFO 1's rate and waveform for maximum fun!
Attachments
exenvfolpulv.zip
(4.26 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

• Information