Synapse GQ-7 Graphic Equalizer - thoughts?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
xRwu8

28 May 2016

Considering getting the GQ-7 on May Madness 50% discount. I already have the Kuassa EVE-MP5 and EVE-AT1, but they seem to be a little bit more like character EQ's, while GQ-7 seems all-business, lol. Is that accurate?

While trying the demo, it's seemed almost bizarre to me that something like this isn't already built into Reason (i.e. in addition to the M-Class EQ). Even though it's a bit spendy, 50% off seems like a bargain for what appears to be an indispensable tool.

Is this some people's default EQ? Like, to the extent that the first thing you do is put it in every mixer channel insert?
:reason: :recycle: :refill: :re: :rt:

boobytrap

28 May 2016

look at the bright side..
this is the only EQ that we have with Spectrum Display. 5 bands. important thing is 96db per octave LO-HI cuts. this isn't my default EQ. but this is MY special EQ. like brick wall filtering
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

The_G

28 May 2016

I like it a lot--it's a bit more flexible than the EQ built in to the SSL console, and I like that I can save EQ configurations (which is helpful when working on an EP or album). However, if money is tight then I think you can make do with the built in EQ.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

Abstrax

28 May 2016

xRwu8 wrote:Considering getting the GQ-7 on May Madness 50% discount. I already have the Kuassa EVE-MP5 and EVE-AT1, but they seem to be a little bit more like character EQ's, while GQ-7 seems all-business, lol. Is that accurate?

While trying the demo, it's seemed almost bizarre to me that something like this isn't already built into Reason (i.e. in addition to the M-Class EQ). Even though it's a bit spendy, 50% off seems like a bargain for what appears to be an indispensable tool.

Is this some people's default EQ? Like, to the extent that the first thing you do is put it in every mixer channel insert?
I have GQ-7 and its most like Ableton's EQ8 stock eq IMO. Depending on the type of sound design your doing, it's really powerful in creative EQing. Every knob has a cv input which enables wild possibilities.

My CPU can't handle this in every insert but I use it for creative FX's and Busses.

Skullture

28 May 2016

Very easy EQ to work with, it has been in regular use since I got it. It wasn't cheap, but still worth it.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

28 May 2016

Just buy it! Get it while it's on sale. I bought it for full price. Even though that was kind of expensive it was totally worth it imo.

It's been my go to EQ since I bought it. I've compared it to Mclass and to my ears it sounds much cleaner/clearer, both for boosting and cutting, plus it's so much more flexible. All the filter slope options are great too. Like you said this should be included in Reason, but since that's not the case I don't see any reason not to buy it.

At first I was afraid it was going to be CPU heavy but I'm glad it isn't. Plus if you wanna save some CPU power you can always switch off the spectrum analyzer on the back.

The SSL EQ is good too but it's very limited, GQ-7 doesn't have those limitations.
Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 28 May 2016, edited 1 time in total.

decibel

28 May 2016

i agree that you would kind of expect an eq of this standard included as stock item with any decent daw and not have to buy it from another developer to use instead of the stock eq that came loaded.. gripes aside though, GQ-7 gets used on just about every instrument in my tracks, if you buy it you probably end up doing the same thing ;)

pjeudy

28 May 2016

xRwu8 wrote:Considering getting the GQ-7 on May Madness 50% discount. I already have the Kuassa EVE-MP5 and EVE-AT1, but they seem to be a little bit more like character EQ's, while GQ-7 seems all-business, lol. Is that accurate?

GQ-7 is my default REASON EQ it's been over a year since I loaded up The Mclass EQ. I don't miss it at all , Mind you, obviously the Mclass EQ was the only EQ I used prior to the GQ-7 being released.

Here's a little something I posted about it December of last year :
pjeudy wrote:
Lov2sing wrote:I am wondering which RE's are better than the M-Class unit and which would be better for what reason? :?:
That's an easy question
Mclas EQ
The specs:
The MClass Equalizer is a 4-band, professional level mastering EQ with low and high shelving bands, two peak filters and a low cut switch. The MClass Equalizer lets you make subtle or drastic frequency adjustments to your Reason mixes, and make them sound a touch more final: clean up that muddy bottom end, add shimmer to your cymbals, bring out the vocals. With its transparent sound and precise sound sculpting features, the MClass Equalizer is a tool you can trust.

Synapse GQ-7:

The specs: **ARE YOU READY**
five bands with high-quality parametric and shelving EQs
plus two additional low- and high cut filters
The five EQ bands can be toggled between Peaking and Shelf types :thumbs_up:
The low-cut and high-cut filters offer a variety of modes with slopes ranging from 12dB to 96 dB per octave, approaching a brick-wall response :thumbs_up:
Auto-gain compensation
If you want to hear just the dry audio, Send Mode feature removes the dry signal from the output completely, allowing you to process the wet EQ signal separately from the input.

New Mid/Side processing you can select:
[stereo] Normal mode you can EQ like you normally can with the Mclass
[Mid] you hear the full stereo spectrum but any EQ settings is only applied to the Mids
[Side] You can hear the full stereo Spectrum but any EQ applied only effects the Sides
[Mid Solo] only plays the Mid freq that you are EQING
[Side Solo] Only plays the Side Information that you are EQING
That means that you can route the Mid information and the Side Information to different outputs and say compress just the Side or just the Mids :thumbs_up:

The Mclass EQ is beloved by all of us ..because she was our first !! but for me, she now sits on the virtual shelf virtually unplugged,disconnected :puf_smile:
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

xRwu8

28 May 2016

Fantastic info guys, thanks - purchased! Thanks for all the testimonials, will definitely help me think through incorporating it into my workflow :puf_bigsmile:
:reason: :recycle: :refill: :re: :rt:

The_G

28 May 2016

It's definitely an upgrade relative to the m-class EQ, and worth the sale price.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

Abstrax

29 May 2016

Synapse GQ7.jpg
Synapse GQ7.jpg (64.97 KiB) Viewed 3613 times
Anyone interested in A GQ-7 combinator backdrop?

Rook

29 May 2016

I've been debating getting the GQ7 and just recently demoed it. I know people love it but... Honestly, I didn't like working with it. The graphical UI is laggy, which was kind of annoying. It sounds good, I guess. But for that kind of technical eqing, it wasn't that much better than the mclass imo. I bought the AT1 instead, just to have a different eq option to throw on things here and there.

gullum

29 May 2016

I use it in all my songs but after getting Tube Tech I only use it in my mastering chain

Ostermilk

29 May 2016

decibel wrote:i agree that you would kind of expect an eq of this standard included as stock item with any decent daw and not have to buy it from another developer to use instead of the stock eq that came loaded.. gripes aside though, GQ-7 gets used on just about every instrument in my tracks, if you buy it you probably end up doing the same thing ;)
These are my thoughts exactly, it's the kind of tool that comes standard with most DAW's around but sadly there's nothing as comprehensive among the stock PEQ, M-Class or Console EQ's. Props to Synapse for plugging that huge gap in the Reason devices.

I didn't buy it though as I haven't yet come across an EQ'ing job that the stock devices alone or in combination haven't been able to cope with. I did pick up Lab-One's 'Black Knight' at some point though which offers a few more parametric bands and a couple of nice features over the stock devices and it was very reasonably priced when I picked it up.

decibel

29 May 2016

Ostermilk wrote:
decibel wrote:i agree that you would kind of expect an eq of this standard included as stock item with any decent daw and not have to buy it from another developer to use instead of the stock eq that came loaded.. gripes aside though, GQ-7 gets used on just about every instrument in my tracks, if you buy it you probably end up doing the same thing ;)
These are my thoughts exactly, it's the kind of tool that comes standard with most DAW's around and there's nothing as comprehensive among the stock PEQ, M-Class or Console EQ's.

I didn't buy it though as I haven't yet come across an EQ'ing job that the stock devices alone or in combination haven't been able to cope with. I did pick up Lab-One's 'Black Knight' at some point though which offers a few more parametric bands and a couple of nice features over the stock devices and it was very reasonably priced when I picked it up.

im a sucker for the extreme cutting slopes, i like to get as surgical as possible with some frequency's so this as pretty much become my weapon of choice. if the m-class upgrades and adds the same ability's maybe i'll go back to using it as well ;) lol

Ostermilk

29 May 2016

decibel wrote:
im a sucker for the extreme cutting slopes, i like to get as surgical as possible with some frequency's so this as pretty much become my weapon of choice. if the m-class upgrades and adds the same ability's maybe i'll go back to using it as well ;) lol
Aye the GQ-7 is a great device and very well implemented, I'm just a sucker for very gentle cuts to my pocket money... :puf_bigsmile:

decibel

29 May 2016

Ostermilk wrote:
decibel wrote:
Aye the GQ-7 is a great device and very well implemented, I'm just a sucker for very gentle cuts to my pocket money... :puf_bigsmile:
i dont drink, smoke, take drugs, own a vehicle, eat out at resturants, have no girlfriend currently and have no children, and for all those reasons i can afford the guilty pleasures of a musical hobby gone wild ;) still doesnt mean i dont go through periods of being very limited in what i can afford to eat etc, but its worth it,, that being said though i think ive pretty much reached a point where i dont need any extra gear to get the results i initially set out to achieve, so maybe now i can start to slowly save some money for a few weeks out town sometime down the line ;)

The_G

29 May 2016

Rook wrote:I've been debating getting the GQ7 and just recently demoed it. I know people love it but... Honestly, I didn't like working with it. The graphical UI is laggy, which was kind of annoying. It sounds good, I guess. But for that kind of technical eqing, it wasn't that much better than the mclass imo. I bought the AT1 instead, just to have a different eq option to throw on things here and there.
Completely fair. If it doesn't work for you then it isn't worth your money.

My opinion is that it is a very good 7-band EQ for $49, or as part of the Mix Rig, but not worth the full $99 price tag (half the price of Logic, which comes with the equally good Channel EQ plugin). I also did live without it between trying it and buying the Mix Rig. But that said, I do use it a lot and find it to be a very transparent and flexible EQ.

gak

29 May 2016

TBH, it's kinda a necessary evil imnsho. To the best of my knowledge, it's the only one that does this. I know Papen has interest in porting their EQ but there is something wrong with SDK????? I'm not a coder but a shame, it would really be welcome.

Things I don't like:

First, it's kinda hungry. Not really something you can use on every track (unless you are just mixing and have the buffer set high)

Second, as mentioned, it's a bit of a batch to work with. It's not elegant at all.

Third, I hate the sound. I know, bash you all want, but I just feel that it is worse than just using the built in stuff, but having the steeper cuts is necessary sometimes.

And last, the only time I've ever had a crash was a reproduceble bug (that someone else mentioned) which had to do with some wacky automation/filter slope. Though I'd never do that in a song, a bug is a bug and synapse blows it off when people try and contact them about it....so don't like that attitude.

It's not horrible, and like I said, there is nothing else like it for us RE peeps, but make sure you demo the shit out of it (add it to a bunch of tracks and make crazy stuff and see if there are issues)

The_G

29 May 2016

gak wrote:TBH, it's kinda a necessary evil imnsho. To the best of my knowledge, it's the only one that does this. I know Papen has interest in porting their EQ but there is something wrong with SDK????? I'm not a coder but a shame, it would really be welcome.
That would be awesome. I haven't messed with RP-EQ but apparently it's really, really good.

iZotope's EQ is another one I'd love to see in RE form (that one I do own).

• Information