What are your most forgotten REs?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
challism

09 Jun 2016

snowcattt wrote:"most forgotten device" - that would be a good thread!
I agree.... good thread topic.

My most forgotten REs are:
Instrument: Radical Piano, EDS06s Drum Synth
Effect: Tritone, Rotor, t00b, DC-1
Utility: CV Mutant, CV Suite Vectorizor, ChordSet

EDIT: BTW, I like all of these REs, especially CV mutant and Rotor, but just never seem to reach for them. I probably have close to 200 REs, so it's easy to forget many of them.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

TheMiles

09 Jun 2016

Instruments : PX7
Effects : Bitspeek, Tritone
Utility : Revolt

There are some more I don't use often, but those 4 are the ones I use least.

decibel

09 Jun 2016

just plucked quad out of a random line up of contenders and used an altered patch, layered with with a few other bits to get a nasty bassline rolling, it wasnt my intention to begin with but sometimes these things just seem to have a will power of their own yeah :) its a shame its 5.30am here though as i really want to turn it up and feel the full force of it lol

dvdrtldg

09 Jun 2016

JP's Combo Continental Organ - trialled it, loved it, bought it, immediately forgot about it

AutoTheory - picked it up when it went on sale for $20, just to see if I could make it do anything interesting. Answer: kind of, but only with a lot of fiddling for meagre results. Rarely use it

DynaRage Tube Compressor - so many compression & distortion options in Reason these days. I've got my favourites, this one is fine but it's not on the A-list. Plus it's a bit weird to operate, the "Sensitivity" knob always baffles me

DG8 Dragon Gate - can't remember why I bought this one. Doesn't offer anything that G8 can't do, and the UI is pretty blah

Ochen K Probability CV Trigger - had completely forgotten about this one, going to play with it today

Front-8 Graphical CV Router - nice concept, but I haven't found it particularly useful

8cros

09 Jun 2016

Uhbik A and Carve Eq Ducker
It would be great to get an update.
Record For The Real Force
REASON RESONANCES

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

09 Jun 2016

Morfin XF Crossfader - I haven't even used it once. I guess I just never feel the need for a device like this when I make music.

Faturator - Very rarely does its distortion do it for me. It happens, but I've pretty much forgotten I have this RE.

FET Compressor - Weird I know. It's my most expensive RE and I really liked the demos and other people loved it so I bought it. Turns out it doesn't work for me. I try it sometimes just because I know it's supposed to be awesome but I almost always get better results with all my other compressors.

moneykube

09 Jun 2016

AutoTheory and Rotor
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Faastwalker

09 Jun 2016

"What are your most forgotten REs?"

I can't remember!! .........

........... oh yes, JP's Charlotte. Bought & never used. Recently re-discovered & it's pretty bloody cool, if a little fiddly to use.

Ostermilk

09 Jun 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:Morfin XF Crossfader - I haven't even used it once. I guess I just never feel the need for a device like this when I make music.
Strange. That one goes in about every Combinator FX I create for a parallel Dry/Wet mix on anything.

It is a freebie though so I guess there's nothing lost by forgetting about it. I'd soon remember it if it was gone though as so many of my Combis rely on it now.... :D

guitfnky

09 Jun 2016

for me, Synchronous. it's cool, and does a ton of crazy stuff, but it's not really my kind of effects unit.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

09 Jun 2016

8cros wrote:Uhbik A and Carve Eq Ducker
Interesting. I use those in pretty much every project. They're both like my secret weapons when it comes to mixing.

8cros

10 Jun 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:
8cros wrote:Uhbik A and Carve Eq Ducker
Interesting. I use those in pretty much every project. They're both like my secret weapons when it comes to mixing.
I would also like to use them in every project. Uhbik A has a bug with modulation. This is certainly not critical. But I switched to the AD480, and forgot about Uhbik.
Ducker has a lot of problems, it is a long delay, strange bursts of amplitude and DC offset. I waited ReEq Ducker, so immediately it was bought, but was disappointed in it after the test, so I use the custom combi.
Record For The Real Force
REASON RESONANCES

electrochoc (PRX-A)

10 Jun 2016

Wow! Interesting how some forgotten REs of others are "always-in-my-rack" ones for me! The most surprising comment for me is the one from TheMiles: ReVolt is and has always been one of my most used CV utilities, PX7 is one of my favorite synths and, well, how could I forget Bitspeek, which I don't use that much, but it's always a lot of fun to play with! AutoTheory, Uhbik-A and the Morfin XF Crossfader are other ones I don't think I'll forget soon!

That's to say that to forget a RE is not a comment about its quality, but about its failure to fit within one's real needs.

Fortunately, my own "forgotten REs" are mainly free or low-cost ones:

- Stereo Splitter: although I find the idea interesting, I just never think to split the mid and side parts of an audio signal. So I never use the RE...
- Shelob: I bought it when I wanted more options to route audio signals, but Directre, Morfin XF and stock devices really took all the place in that department...
- wbl5515: fun concept, but I haven't find any way to actually use it...
- ReMark: I just never took the habit of inserting notes within the rack.

On the path of becoming "forgotten REs":

- Renoun: I used to use it a lot at the time when I was searching for my favorite reverb settings. My "shopping" is pretty much done as of now: DR-1 became my main reverb for synthetic sounds (most of my projects), with Uhbik-A for other kinds of ambiences and RV7000 for weirdness. I should eventually retry Renoun, but...
- Blamsoft's Shredder Series bundle: impulsive purchase (while on sale) which doesn't fit at all with my material. Plus I already have many other distorsion options...
- Synapse's VE-3: was part of the (fantastic!) Synapse bundle, but I never got any result I like with it. Now that I have a Kuassa EQ as well as some other EQ options, VE-3 is about to be THE Synapse effect I never use...
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

electrochoc (PRX-A)

10 Jun 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:FET Compressor - Weird I know. It's my most expensive RE and I really liked the demos and other people loved it so I bought it. Turns out it doesn't work for me. I try it sometimes just because I know it's supposed to be awesome but I almost always get better results with all my other compressors.
I tried FET Compressor (a little too fast maybe), and it didn't work for me neither... I already had D.CAM ChanComp at that moment, and prefered it as long as I used it on my own material, which sounds very synthetic... During my FET trial, I also tried FET on some accoustic drum and guitar loops from the FSB, and the result was really great! I couldn't explain why... I felt FET was great on accoustic material, but a little meh when used with synthetic sounds... I should eventually get FET within the Mix and Mastering bundle: if so, I'd make more tests...

Miguel da Wu

10 Jun 2016

for me it's definitely the RPDistort Effect. I bought it, but use it very rarely because it is too complicated for me. not really easy to use.

Shokstar

10 Jun 2016

I have also nearly 200 REs in my rack,its easier to saying which one I use.

JPS Harmonic synth.
Zero
Antidote
A unknown synth

Fx
Dcam chancomp
The Mace
Gclip
Chenille
Chorus by Audio air
Renoun
Vac 6
The Curve
Seligs Gain
Echobode
Loudness Meter

satyr32

10 Jun 2016

Instruments: Tres, Re-Tron, EDS06, Quad
Effects: Rotor, Elements Distort, Elements Lo-Fi, Buffre, Selig Leveler, All SB Effects
Utility: Randrome, ReVolt
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

Lov2sing

10 Jun 2016

:D The problem I have is getting the things I needs opposed to the things I want. Saying that most CV RE's I don't have time for these days and I have over 100 RE's. The one I never use is the get laid RE's, revolt, auto arp, and re-stereo. For the most part I try to use what I buy but it is all based on the style of music I'm doing.
We make music for a reason

adfielding

10 Jun 2016

I don't use Tres a whole lot these days. I know I can get some decent sounds out of it, but the UI makes it a bit of a pain to use and I can never be bothered to work with it.

guitfnky

10 Jun 2016

oh man, I forgot Etch Red and Faturator. Etch is cool, but I really shouldn't have bought it. Faturator was a buy because I thought the sounds in the demo were great, and it was fairly cheap, but it just doesn't sound very good to me, now that I have it. Lesson learned.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

challism

10 Jun 2016

Too bad I can't buy Revolt from you guys who don't use it. :( I REALLY, REALLY want that RE, but sadly can not buy it anymore. Double :(

electrochoc (PRX-A)

10 Jun 2016

challism wrote:Too bad I can't buy Revolt from you guys who don't use it. :( I REALLY, REALLY want that RE, but sadly can not buy it anymore. Double :(
Very sad indeed... Fortunately, its features are available in other REs. In a couple of others in fact... ReVolt had the advantage of offering all the basics in one place...

WongoTheSane

11 Jun 2016

I'd say Revival and Predator, for the same reason: love the sounds, hate the GUI...

challism

11 Jun 2016

I love the effects thru on both of those devices... especially on Revival. The synth is incredible, but the effects are really overlooked. I think it's the most underrated synth in the shop. But, I also hate the GUI. So ugly. I would love it if: A) they completely redid the GUI, and B) gave us the updated soundbank they promised us about 2 years ago.

tibah

11 Jun 2016

Interestingly enough, I didn't forget any RE I bought, I simply uninstall them for some time if I don't use them much. Mainly for less clutter while browsing for devices. Then there is stuff I try to forget on purpose. I own just about 30 REs though, so there is less room for forgetting something. ;)

The ones I truly forget about most of the time are both filer REs I own. DFilter and AF-4. I bought them since I use a lot of sampler patches from various ReFills, but I wanted another option to filter them, but instead I still use the NN19/XT filters, the ones in the mixer or Pulverizer. Weird me.

Overall, most of my RE purchases where based on using only Reason Essentials for about 2 years, before upgrading to Reason 8 again 3 months ago. The Echo went back to be my main delay. Pulverizer for many applications. The full featured mixer also kinda made some REs obsolete in theory, but I still use them quite a lot, e.g. EVE bundle, but there are many REs I own that I bought to compensate missing features or devices in Essentials.

555 posts... that deserves a beer I guess... ;)
Last edited by tibah on 08 Aug 2016, edited 1 time in total.

• Information