Zooming Into Rack Extensions - Are They Too Small?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
kuhliloach

22 Jun 2016

Pressing Z to zoom a clip to full screen size is pretty great! What about a similar feature for the rack?

I'm sometimes hearing that people feel certain UI elements in Reason are too small. Has anyone else felt the need for a rack Zoom feature that zooms in and centers on a given device?

jonheal

22 Jun 2016

Yes, I would love a native rack zoom in Reason. On Windows, you can use the screen magnifier, but it is too cumbersome for regular use as it is virtually impossible to keep the magnifier window itself from popping up in the way, eventually.

Built-in Rack zooming, PLEASE!!

Maybe version 20? :)
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

8cros

22 Jun 2016

I feel mixed emotions. On the one hand, greater clarity would be nice. But on the other hand, this scale is quite good, and I like to draw a pixel art for the combi. :redface:
Record For The Real Force
REASON RESONANCES

Sinistereo

23 Jun 2016

This is sorely needed in the era of high DPI displays. When I use Reason on my laptop, I have to scale it using the horrible Windows display scaling, which makes the text fuzzy and the rest of the interface ugly.

At 4K on a 15" display, those knobs are about the size of a starving gnat.

Faastwalker

23 Jun 2016

Would be awesome if you called hit a button & zoom selected device to fill width / height (depending on the dimensions of device of course). Especially on synths that have shed loads of parameters.

Wasn't this in the pipeline with all this 3D rendered RE GUI thing? I'm not sure if this is still a requirement. But I remember people speculating the need for developers having to create a 3D render of the GUI was something to do with scaling? Not sure though. I'm fuzzy on how all this stuff works. In any case it would be nice to have a zoom function.

Loque

23 Jun 2016

Nostromo was the first time i wanted such a feature.

Btw: a real rack does not have zoom functions
Reason12, Win10

avasopht
Competition Winner

23 Jun 2016

Loque wrote:Nostromo was the first time i wanted such a feature.

Yes it does, .. you just move your head closer or put your glasses on ;)

Loque

23 Jun 2016

avasopht wrote:

Move your head closer to the monitor :lol:
Reason12, Win10

Arrant
Competition Winner

23 Jun 2016

This has been frequently requested for the last few years as display resolutions have steadily increased

Tumble

23 Jun 2016

Nostromo sounds really good, but the size of the UI elements is keeping me from buying it.

It's just no good having knobs that are smaller than the mouse-cursor.

pongasoft
RE Developer

23 Jun 2016

The good news is that when a developer submit a Rack Extension to Propellerheads what gets submitted is much higher resolution and it gets downscaled on their server. So I assume they don't get rid of what gets submitted and could "easily" rebuild Rack Extensions in higher resolution for higher resolution screens.

The bad news is that there does not seem to be any indication that Propellerheads is moving into this direction since every single one of their latest release has not done an iota of change regarding support for 4K. Apple Logic for example has been converting their UI (progressively, release after release) to 4K... and it shows!

In this day and age where you essentially cannot buy a Mac Laptop without a Retina display screen this seems like a very bad decision. If only they did not dedicate all those resources to haliloopa (can't even spell this thing...)...

Yan

Tumble

23 Jun 2016

Every other DAW is more or less fully HDPI compatible by now. I'd be surprised if we're not going to see some sort of GUI overhaul in a 9.x update or version 10.

selig
RE Developer

23 Jun 2016

A real rack ALSO has unlimited resolution…(well, down to the atomic level, at least)
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

jonheal

23 Jun 2016

Loque wrote:
avasopht wrote:

Move your head closer to the monitor :lol:
Humorous, but not helpful. My monitor I where it is because it has to be. I have glasses that do make small label text readable, but I don't like wearing my glasses at the computer because they have terrible parallax distortion. I wouldn't mind if the zoomed in view was pixelated, it would still help me read the labels better.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

kuhliloach

23 Jun 2016

I had similar visions as jonheal -- a pixelated zoom of the existing UI would work just fine! Dare I say that would be almost 'retro looking'.

At the same time this opens up the opportunity for a zoomed-in RE to reveal a new level of detail. ;)

• Information