Lectric Panda's Nostromo Spectral Synthesizer Song Challenge | The Winners

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Reasonistas
RE Developer

15 Jul 2016

The Winners!
We congratulate all participants for their hard work and participation. We listened to all 57 songs several times and with the additional community votes, we are ready to announce the top 3 winners. So, without further ado, here they are:

1st Place
Prize: Nostromo Spectral Synthesizer and 2 other Lectric Panda Rack Extensions of choice
Pale Male - Max Wellhouse

2nd Place - 2 Winners
Prize: Nostromo Spectral Synthesizer and 1 other Lectric Panda Rack Extensions of choice
Tibah - Neila

Buddaka - Sundawn

3rd Place - 5 Winners
Prize: Nostromo Spectral Synthesizer
TROY - Teleport

Tritone Addition - Nostromo

Bixambi - Random Access Citrus

Noise Shadow - Stasis

The Good Breaux - On Point

IMPORTANT: Instructions to the winners
Please send the following items (as download links) to Noel G. via ReasonTalk private messaging:

1. Your Reason song files to verify compliance with all song challenge rules.
2. Your contact email address and PH user account name to coordinator the delivery of your prize(s).

Closing Statement
Congratulations again to each of you for your stellar music, and thank you for taking the time to participate in the Reasonistas and Lectric Panda's Nostromo Spectral Synthesizer Song Challenge.

Until next time here's the SoundCloud link again to listen to all 57 songs.

All the best!

Rob and Noel G.
Last edited by Reasonistas on 23 Jul 2016, edited 4 times in total.
ImageImageImage

Loque

15 Jul 2016

Wow... The rules have changed. Now the one with most clicks wins...
Reason12, Win10

Reasonistas
RE Developer

15 Jul 2016

Loque wrote:Wow... The rules have changed. Now the one with most clicks wins...
No, not exactly. The 3 songs with the most votes win the poll. The site only allows people to vote once so we think it is a fair system and one that people have asked us to incorporate many times.

Also, there is this:
rcbuse wrote:It should be noted that this was meant to help us decide the final winners.. not be the final say. We are just soliciting feedback here.
Last edited by Reasonistas on 15 Jul 2016, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImageImage

Noise
Competition Winner

15 Jul 2016

Calling the devil's lawyer, a user can have multiple ip's, home or work. Also, i'm sure someone will vote on their own song and choose the one's they don't like, just for effectiveness of the vote.

Anyways I don't mind it : )
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

K.Markov

15 Jul 2016

Noise wrote: a user can have multiple ip's, home or work.
...and hundred friends on fb :puf_smile:

Noise
Competition Winner

15 Jul 2016

I don't have facebook, Just g+.. oh damn, no friends :|
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

Reasonistas
RE Developer

15 Jul 2016

Noise wrote:Calling the devil's lawyer, a user can have multiple ip's, home or work. Also, i'm sure someone will vote on their own song and choose the one's they don't like, just for effectiveness of the vote.

Anyways I don't mind it : )
It's not that serious....we're not asking people to vote to the next President / Prime Minister of whatever country. ;)

Let's have fun with this and see how it goes. :puf_bigsmile:
Last edited by Reasonistas on 15 Jul 2016, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

K.Markov

15 Jul 2016

Noise wrote:I don't have facebook, Just g+.. oh damn, no friends :|
me neither :puf_smile:

lowpryo

15 Jul 2016

sorry, I don't have 3+ hours to listen through all of the entries, and it wouldn't be fair to the participants if I didn't! good luck to everyone though. and great job to Lectric Panda for motivating so many people with your synth.

VHS

15 Jul 2016

Not so much a song challenge any more, is this? Now you expect us and anyone willing to listen to 57 songs and reasonably choose the best? We all know its now a popularity contest. But at least you can easily disregard all our hard work because "were not asking people to vote for the next president".Whoever wins(me included), know that it wasn't because you had the best song. I can't express how disappointed I am.

Zac

15 Jul 2016

Maybe it would have been fairer to just go with the developer's Top 3? Since his blood sweat and tears went into the synth.

I agree that it's a popularity contest now. IMO no-one is going to listen to 57 songs from start to finish. I think I probably have but it's been over the period of a month.

It's better than drawing names from a hat, but I'm a bit disappointed too.

Despondo
Competition Winner

15 Jul 2016

I'm not sure I agree with the change in picking the winners, but I am happy that I got at least 3 good songs (I only entered 2) written because of this synth. It will be interesting to see how the vote pans out. Perhaps the vote plus the judges picks (even if they don't sync up) should each get licenses? Regardless of the outcome, I WILL be buying this RE! :-)

rcbuse
RE Developer

15 Jul 2016

It should be noted that this was meant to help us decide the final winners.. not be the final say. We are just soliciting feedback here.

WongoTheSane

15 Jul 2016

If I may play the devil's advocate, I have already listened to all songs as they were posted (I've made a few songs and a few patches so I was interested in how other people would use Nostromo), and wondered why the competition didn't include some sort of an audience award. While listening, I (am ashamed to say that I) ripped four of those songs to include in my mp3 rotation; so now I have the award I longed for, and I'm down to only four songs to choose from. So I'm quite happy I've got a chance to weigh in on who wins, even if it's just one vote among many...

VHS

15 Jul 2016

rcbuse wrote:It should be noted that this was meant to help us decide the final winners.. not be the final say. We are just soliciting feedback here.
That wasn't made clear in the OP, IMO. Good, that's better than completely changing a contests judgment process long after the contest has ended. But, what if 3 totally different songs are chosen? Giving you 9 songs that don't overlap. Seems possible with 57 songs. What feedback is used in that scenario?

rcbuse
RE Developer

15 Jul 2016

VHS wrote:
That wasn't made clear in the OP, IMO. Good, that's better than completely changing a contests judgment process long after the contest has ended. But, what if 3 totally different songs are chosen? Giving you 9 songs that don't overlap. Seems possible with 57 songs. What feedback is used in that scenario?
Then I'll probably have to turn up the generosity fader.

VHS

15 Jul 2016

rcbuse wrote: Then I'll probably have to turn up the generosity fader.
Lmao, best possible answer :thumbs_up:

tibah

15 Jul 2016

I took the poll, but like to throw in a random idea.

Given that SC already has some sort of feedback system, why not use it. Take the number of plays into account, along with the "Likes" or "Hearts". This should give you a likes:plays ratio and is overall more fair... maybe. I like K.Markov entry quite a lot, but it only has like 98 plays atm, compared to the 500 my track Neila has, but competing within that ratio, they can compete on somewhat equal levels.

Reasonistas
RE Developer

15 Jul 2016

tibah wrote:I took the poll, but like to throw in a random idea.

Given that SC already has some sort of feedback system, why not use it. Take the number of plays into account, along with the "Likes" or "Hearts". This should give you a likes:plays ratio and is overall more fair... maybe. I like K.Markov entry quite a lot, but it only has like 98 plays atm, compared to the 500 my track Neila has, but competing within that ratio, they can compete on somewhat equal levels.
We've considered this route before and it was clear that most people thought it was unfair if someone already had a large SoundCloud fan base. Also, the problem with SoundCloud is they will round the play count after 1,000 plays.
ImageImageImage

Zac

15 Jul 2016

On reflection it is a big ask to whittle down 57 to 3, especially with such quality and variety, so getting some feedback as part (clearly stated now) of the process makes sense. The competition has been a run away success, it'd be a shame to sour that feeling now.

Reasonistas
RE Developer

15 Jul 2016

Zac wrote:On reflection it is a big ask to whittle down 57 to 3, especially with such quality and variety, so getting some feedback as part (clearly stated now) of the process makes sense. The competition has been a run away success, it'd be a shame to sour that feeling now.
Thank you.
ImageImageImage

Advanced Suite
Competition Winner

15 Jul 2016

VHS wrote:
rcbuse wrote: Then I'll probably have to turn up the generosity fader.
Lmao, best possible answer :thumbs_up:
I think generosity faders sound the best. Turn it up to 11
Everybody gets a Nostromo
You get a Nostromo
You get a Nostromo
Nostromos all around!

swamptooth

15 Jul 2016

I like this idea, but I also have reservations... It would be nice if the participants could just PM you guys their top 3 picks excluding their own pieces.

logicalpocket

15 Jul 2016

Just contributing my two cents. There will never be a truly "fair" way of deciding who wins these kinds of contests. The consideration of what makes good music is entirely subjective to begin with. We all have different ideas of what constitutes interesting structure, melody and overall composition. Whatever happens there will always be those who feel hard done by, those who feel that their favourites have been overlooked and those who feel that weaker tracks took the prize.

In previous competitions the competitors have often felt hard done by because they believe that the judges have particular genre tastes that don't align with their musical output. I won't deny that the current situation has a similar conundrum in the form of the popularity argument but so what. If you entered the contest with only the intention to win then you've already lost, regardless of whether you take the prize in the end or not. This should be about two things: 1) all of us having a unique opportunity to show each other what can be achieved with a particular synth/plug in and 2) the basis for us to come together as a community and discuss our craft. Some of us will always be left by the wayside in terms of what we can currently achieve which suggests to me that the purely competitive mindset is the wrong way to frame this. We're all at different stages in our musical careers and we all have different intended outcomes for our productions. Instead of focusing on who's more popular, or whether we each feel that we've had a fair shot I'd recommend that it's probably a better idea to share what we each believe to be positive about each others tracks, rather than individually focusing on how we think our own tracks fit into all of this. Less of this divide and conquer nonsense.

That's pretty much all I have to say except peace and love y'all. *mic drop* etc.
Blep

Sinistereo

17 Jul 2016

Great idea! It's not like there's any way of objectively selecting winners anyway. Love that you're reaching out to the community to help you focus your selection process.

• Information