New EQ - RedRock RE3Q Sixband Equalizer

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Ostermilk

08 Sep 2016

miscend wrote:Here's a good article on why some digital EQs are better than others. Or You could just use the one that comes with your daw.

https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... #more-1308
It's a good article as to why EQ's get implemented the way they do and I'm sure Selig would be in total agreement with everything laid out there.

I don't know why Red Rock is being so 'snippy' toward Selig at all as given the same implemtation of curves and filters then two EQ's will be the same just as this one ironically is claiming to be similar to the Maag albeit with a lower price ticket.

People, including myself, like particular console style EQ's because generally they get you in the ballpark of where you want to be quickly and efficiently and that tends to be down to the design choices implemented by the EQ designer rather than any 'magic sauce'.

I reckon it's pretty lame and unprofessional of RR to get sarcastic toward another dev when a/ as Red Rock knows full well that there's plenty of truth in what was said in the first place and b/ this by it's own admission is trying to be follow to a large extent someone else's EQ design anyway.

Notwithstanding all of that the only way to decide it suits anyones way of working is to try it and I'm certainly going to.

GRIFTY

08 Sep 2016

I wasn't going to say anything at first, but I don't want to buy his products anymore either. Completely unprofessional. Embarrassing conduct to be associated with on this forum, let alone as a business owner.

Blast

08 Sep 2016

Bought the RE3Q and really liking it, I also owned a few more Red Rock RE as well. But after reading this post I am thinking twice about buying another Red Rock product. I think its very unprofessional coming from a Developer.

WongoTheSane

08 Sep 2016

Ottostrom wrote:Going full Trump with this one eh?
I laughed...
selig wrote:I'm not sure where the assertion that I attacked first has come from.
You said: "all EQs that are not linear phase exhibit the same exact amount of phase distortion when their curves match", which he (mis)interpreted as "all EQs are equal so yours is the same as every other". Language barrier + hypersensitivity at work.

RR, you went to war under a grave misassumption, you refused to back down when evidence was presented to you, and that's what's causing the backlash right now. Selig never attacked you, and you're acting like a sore loser. Saying "you may be right, I may have reacted a bit quickly" would buy you some good will right now. No one has attacked you, no one is criticizing your products, you should own up to your misunderstanding.

The worst of it all is that now Selig may be wary of analysing the response curve of your product, which some (most?) of us were really interested in, seeing as he is, whether you like it or not, the most capable of doing, out of us all. Shame.

Rice

08 Sep 2016

WongoTheSane wrote:
The worst of it all is that now Selig may be wary of analysing the response curve of your product, which some (most?) of us were really interested in, seeing as he is, whether you like it or not, the most capable of doing, out of us all. Shame.
I think Selig is a lot more grown up than you give hime credit for...don't think he's the type who takes his ball and goes home. The only problem I see with all of this is that it all should have been PM'd...but by it being public, it has caused you guys to pick a side instead of just trying a product and seeing if works for you or not.

selig
RE Developer

08 Sep 2016

Rice wrote:
WongoTheSane wrote:
I think Selig is a lot more grown up than you give hime credit for...don't think he's the type who takes his ball and goes home. The only problem I see with all of this is that it all should have been PM'd...but by it being public, it has caused you guys to pick a side instead of just trying a product and seeing if works for you or not.
I may not have been as clear as I could have been when I had previously mentioned to Red Rock to contact the admins if it was felt my behavior was out of line in any way. This is my common response to get things out of the regular threads and into the hands of someone who can actually do something about them. As a moderator (and another developer) myself, I was suggesting to contact any of the other mods/admins if there was a problem (so there could be no concern I was playing dirty, also standard procedure on my part), so that I was not "policing myself" so to speak.

Again, I can see that I was not very clear on that original point, and just wanted to take a moment to clarify that here and apologize for any unintended offense it may have caused!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

KaliKush84

09 Sep 2016

Love both red rock and selig have both of respected lines of products .In all honesty the spat killed the vibe of the thread .Some thing are to be said in private can we get back to business or are we going to sling salami and bring out the tape measures? :?:

Noplan
Competition Winner

09 Sep 2016

I want to enlighten the community because both refuse to pay their bill. Selig and RedRock made use of my marketing service and I scripted the whole drama for them to push the thread for better sales.

Biolumin3sc3nt

09 Sep 2016

Noplan wrote:I want to enlighten the community because both refuse to pay their bill. Selig and RedRock made use of my marketing service and I scripted the whole drama for them to push the thread for better sales.

Damn it, We've all been duped again lol

bsp

09 Sep 2016

I want to enlighten the community because both refuse to pay their bill. Selig and RedRock made use of my marketing service and I scripted the whole drama for them to push the thread for better sales.
excellent post !

p.s.: this EQ is a bit unusual but it is great!

K1TTENM1TTEN

10 Sep 2016

Haha, so five pages into the "EQ - The Drama: LIVE!" I just wanted to say two things:

1) I've got love for both devs. Red Rock, you make great products. Selig, you make great products. Nobody can contest this. Selig was simply saying that unless if an EQ introduces some sort of "warmth" in their processing, all EQ CURVES can be replicated with other EQs. This is a fact, not a big deal. Red Rock was saying that they felt that Selig took merit away from their great sounding EQ, but he did not - your product is great! Just because curves can be replicated does not mean that an EQ looses it's value. Being able to quickly dial in results is why people buy tools to help cut down on time. For some their time is worth spending $29 to buy an EQ that cuts out some time EQing things. For some their money is worth more and they want the knowledge of how to replicate results with tools they already have. Nobody is saying your EQ is not worth the money, Red Rock. You know that you are a top-notch developer, and Selig has even said the same thing. You both are awesome in my book. Selig has given me soooooo much insight that he will never know I can attribute to him that I am beyond grateful for, and I have an absolutely respect for the mastery he has in his craft and the tools he has made available to the community. And Red Rock, you have given us all some amazingly valuable tools in our RE tool belt. This is a misunderstanding, so let it die now as just that and let's all laugh at this whole thing. We all love ya guys :-)

2) I am still interested in the curve processing, Selig, haha! I have waited over a week and I am chomping at the bit with curiosity what is going on with this EQ behind the scenes. Hurrrrrryyyyy upppppp allllrreeaaadddyyy :-D

Ottostrom

11 Sep 2016

K1TTENM1TTEN wrote: 2) I am still interested in the curve processing, Selig, haha! I have waited over a week and I am chomping at the bit with curiosity what is going on with this EQ behind the scenes. Hurrrrrryyyyy upppppp allllrreeaaadddyyy :-D
If you scroll down on this blog post you can see what this eq is doing: http://melodiefabriek.com/blog/maag-nat ... unding-eq/

selig
RE Developer

11 Sep 2016

Ottostrom wrote:
K1TTENM1TTEN wrote: 2) I am still interested in the curve processing, Selig, haha! I have waited over a week and I am chomping at the bit with curiosity what is going on with this EQ behind the scenes. Hurrrrrryyyyy upppppp allllrreeaaadddyyy :-D
If you scroll down on this blog post you can see what this eq is doing: http://melodiefabriek.com/blog/maag-nat ... unding-eq/
To be totally clear and fair, that's the Maag EQ plugin - I've not tested the Red Rock EQ.

And to be further clear, it is not my intent to encourage folks to use the factory devices instead of REs - that would be suicide for my brand at the least, and total insanity at the worst. Not sure why anyone would think that's a goal for me…

I just wanted to know for myself if there was any special "phase" tricks going on with the Maag, since claims have been made that it uses/creates less phase shift somehow (which I assumed was impossible). Turns out Maag uses the same amount of phase shift as any other minimal phase EQ (which is all of the EQs in Reason).

Beyond that, it's a purely academic exercise in the name of science, no "dirty tricks" or trying to make anyone look bad (or good). Mostly these sorts of tests evoke positive response, but other times things don't go quite as expected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Loque

11 Sep 2016

This EQ clears out some bass mudd. Good. I would like to see an uber smart EQ that catches all the typical frequencies in a mix to fix mudd, add punch, add air and so on.... Without fiddling 10h EQ Qs and frequencies and filters... Maybe RedRock will do it...
Reason12, Win10

Ottostrom

11 Sep 2016

selig wrote: To be totally clear and fair, that's the Maag EQ plugin - I've not tested the Red Rock EQ.

And to be further clear, it is not my intent to encourage folks to use the factory devices instead of REs - that would be suicide for my brand at the least, and total insanity at the worst. Not sure why anyone would think that's a goal for me…

I just wanted to know for myself if there was any special "phase" tricks going on with the Maag, since claims have been made that it uses/creates less phase shift somehow (which I assumed was impossible). Turns out Maag uses the same amount of phase shift as any other minimal phase EQ (which is all of the EQs in Reason).

Beyond that, it's a purely academic exercise in the name of science, no "dirty tricks" or trying to make anyone look bad (or good). Mostly these sorts of tests evoke positive response, but other times things don't go quite as expected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ah sorry! Didn't realize it was the Maag plugin, good thing you cleared that up :thumbs_up:
I know you don't wanna create more confusion here but I really don't feel like you have to justify what you are doing.
To show analytic results should never be frowned upon. How else are people gonna learn?

• Information