random cv OUTPUT on gate

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
modecca

17 Sep 2016

jdub wrote:A single instance of Thor or Little LFO (free; highly recommended) can do this quite easily.

On Thor, set LFO 2 to stepped random mode, turn its rate down to minimum, activate key sync, then route LFO 2 to a CV out via the mod matrix, and route that CV out to whatever you wish to control. To make it run even slower, route a programmable button to LFO 2 rate with a value of -100.

Because Thor's LFO will always be running no matter how slow you set it, though, I prefer to use Little LFO for this. On Little LFO, set an oscillator to its stepped random mode, set the rate mode to 'free' and turn the rate down to zero, then activate sync and route its CV out wherever you like. With this method, Little LFO will produce a new random CV value with each MIDI or CV gate it receives and will hold it until it receives another.

I hope this is what you were after.
Never even considered using little lfo for this. I especially like the " will hold the value it until it receives another gate" which some of the other techniques cant do.
🔗💥

modecca

19 Sep 2016

Here is a combinator based on this method. Really nice I can now use a stock device to this. I have the random on gate simutaneously going to three sources: pitch, subtractor phase and filter.
DARK RANDOM.zip
(40.47 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
🔗💥

jdub

20 Sep 2016

modecca wrote:Here is a combinator based on this method. Really nice I can now use a stock device to this. I have the random on gate simutaneously going to three sources: pitch, subtractor phase and filter.
What did you end up going with? I don't have access to Reason right now to try it out, but I'm a sucker for randomization, so this kind of thing is right up my alley. One suggestion, which you may have considered already, is to use separate random signal sources for each parameter being modulated so that they're not all tied together.

modecca

20 Sep 2016

What did you end up going with?
Liked the thor method for it is very easy to do and uses a stock device;

Another cv method I would like to be able to do : position of the lfo triggered by gate (you can only progress through lfo by hitting a key); Oberon does this but again there is not a cv out option for this.
🔗💥

• Information