random cv OUTPUT on gate

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
modecca

12 Sep 2016

Does anyone know of a device that can do random cv value OUTPUT on gate? So far I can only do this with quad.
A few devices have the random cv on gate, but you can only use it within the device.
πŸ”—β€πŸ’₯

modecca

13 Sep 2016

Thanks, would have took me a while to sort through all the rack extensions to find this.

Even has audio gate to random cv!
πŸ”—β€πŸ’₯

dvdrtldg

13 Sep 2016

Randrome is an extremely cool device

MannequinRaces

14 Sep 2016

modecca wrote:
Thanks, would have took me a while to sort through all the rack extensions to find this.

Even has audio gate to random cv!
It is a nice device! There are TONS of CV rack extensions in the shop and a lot of them do similar things so I don't blame you for not wanting to read about all of them.

alex

14 Sep 2016

If you just need random CV gate values in a "pattern fashion" pick a matrix stock device, generate a random pattern and then connect only its gate CV out to the desired input. Hope I'm not missing something here. :)
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

dioxide

14 Sep 2016

alex wrote:If you just need random CV gate values in a "pattern fashion" pick a matrix stock device, generate a random pattern and then connect only its gate CV out to the desired input. Hope I'm not missing something here. :)
Matrix (I think?) might only have a set number of Gate levels as there are only a small pixel height to set the velocity. I can't test this though, so maybe it has a full 0-127 range when you randomise it?

Connecting Note rather than Gate would give you 61 possible values as the Matrix has 5 octaves plus C5. That's not as good as Randrome but is pretty good for most uses. Clever idea to use the Matrix though :thumbs_up:

dioxide

14 Sep 2016

Just tried this and Matrix Curve with Bipolar switch on is the way to go, Note and Gate give you Unipolar CV. I'm still unsure if the Curve is quantized to a specific number of steps when randomising, as would be the case if you input the curve manually using the mouse and screen.

Loque

14 Sep 2016

Never tried it, but it should be possible to use the Players for generating rythmic gates. Add a RPG8 into a Combinator, attach a Players (Dual Arpegiator and Note Ech) to the Combinator, disable the RPG8 and grab the gate from the backside.
Reason12, Win10

modecca

14 Sep 2016

alex wrote:If you just need random CV gate values in a "pattern fashion" pick a matrix stock device, generate a random pattern and then connect only its gate CV out to the desired input. Hope I'm not missing something here. :)
I was asking about random value on midi gate to be more specific
πŸ”—β€πŸ’₯

8cros

14 Sep 2016

modecca wrote:
I do not quite understand how you want the result or the path. There are some opportunities, but we need to know the exact problem.
I find it difficult to translate some things as well.
Record For The Real Force
REASON RESONANCES

modecca

14 Sep 2016

8cros wrote:
modecca wrote:
I do not quite understand how you want the result or the path. There are some opportunities, but we need to know the exact problem.
For example, every time I hit a note on the keyboard, the filter value would be different (random value).
πŸ”—β€πŸ’₯

8cros

14 Sep 2016

modecca wrote:
8cros wrote:
modecca wrote:
For example, every time I hit a note on the keyboard, the filter value would be different (random value).
*You want to humanize of velocity, I understood correctly?
*You do not want trigger time offset. :puf_bigsmile: (first thought)

If the first, I think it is not difficult. We need a little time to choose the best path.
Depending on what parameters are necessary for this.
Selecting the range, speed, or something else.
REASON RESONANCES

modecca

14 Sep 2016

*You want to humanize of velocity, I understood correctly?

I like humanize (rob papen uses it) but I have not seen a "humanize to free cv out" option in any re mod matrix.

This cv function must be able to control other Re's/reason devices and go beyond simply controlling filter or velocity; It must be able to work in real time (not needing to randomize velocity in reasons sequencer. )

So far randrome and quad are the only devices that I can see capable of this.
πŸ”—β€πŸ’₯

8cros

14 Sep 2016

modecca wrote:*You want to humanize of velocity, I understood correctly?

I like humanize (rob papen uses it) but I have not seen a "humanize to free cv out" option in any re mod matrix.

This cv function must be able to control other Re's/reason devices and go beyond simply controlling filter or velocity; It must be able to work in real time (not needing to randomize velocity in reasons sequencer. )

So far randrome and quad are the only devices that I can see capable of this.
We can do the following in the chain of the signal:
1. Midi key
2. Shaper of signal (randomizer, or something else)
3. The purpose (filter, amplifier, etc.)
4. Result (random, humanization, vibrato, or something else)
REASON RESONANCES

Joerg

14 Sep 2016

You can use Thors sequencer. Randomize the curve settings and output its values via sequencers step mode. So you have different, random static values every key press.

modecca

14 Sep 2016

Joerg wrote:You can use Thors sequencer. Randomize the curve settings and output its values via sequencers step mode. So you have different, random static values every key press.

And in addition to that you would set the "run section" on random; Now you would be limited to 16 values(unless you chained 8 thors together to get 127 values..is that possible?), but it is definitely the closest thing we have to a stock device, being able to perform the task in question.
πŸ”—β€πŸ’₯

8cros

14 Sep 2016

modecca wrote:
Joerg wrote:You can use Thors sequencer. Randomize the curve settings and output its values via sequencers step mode. So you have different, random static values every key press.

And in addition to that you would set the "run section" on random; Now you would be limited to 16 values(unless you chained 8 thors together to get 127 values..is that possible?), but it is definitely the closest thing we have to a stock device, being able to perform the task in question.
There are other ways.
You just need to proceed from the assumption what parameters need to be changed.
REASON RESONANCES

buddard
RE Developer

14 Sep 2016

What you're looking for is a Sample & Hold, and one is included in Ochen K A-Series 2 Modular Synth for 9$. You connect the CV output from the noise source to the S&H's Sample input, your gate to the Trig input, and take the random signal from Out.

I also have this functionality as part of an RE I've been developing for fun, but I haven't decided yet whether it's worth releasing (probably too niche). But the Ochen K synth should do nicely.
Robotic Bean

Β Β 

modecca

14 Sep 2016

buddard wrote:What you're looking for is a Sample & Hold, and one is included in Ochen K A-Series 2 Modular Synth for 9$. You connect the CV output from the noise source to the S&H's Sample input, your gate to the Trig input, and take the random signal from Out.

I also have this functionality as part of an RE I've been developing for fun, but I haven't decided yet whether it's worth releasing (probably too niche). But the Ochen K synth should do nicely.
nice and even cheaper than randrome
πŸ”—β€πŸ’₯

8cros

14 Sep 2016

I have a ready-made solution based on Reason 5 devices.
It is thus not at all bad.
This is my combinator, I did not even design and there is no logo or signature.
But I can show you how it works.
I need a day or two to make the cover. :mrgreen:
REASON RESONANCES

modecca

14 Sep 2016

8cros wrote:I have a ready-made solution based on Reason 5 devices.
It is thus not at all bad.
This is my combinator, I did not even design and there is no logo or signature.
But I can show you how it works.
I need a day or two to make the cover. :mrgreen:
nice, make that availible for download when ur done with it
πŸ”—β€πŸ’₯

8cros

16 Sep 2016

modecca wrote:
nice, make that availible for download when ur done with it
Unfortunately, I still did not draw. I put the standard blue backdrop. :redface:
Randomaizer

I've updated the link. There was a small fault with the button.
REASON RESONANCES

modecca

16 Sep 2016

Randomaizer

great if i like it, i will use it my current song
πŸ”—β€πŸ’₯

jdub

17 Sep 2016

A single instance of Thor or Little LFO (free; highly recommended) can do this quite easily.

On Thor, set LFO 2 to stepped random mode, turn its rate down to minimum, activate key sync, then route LFO 2 to a CV out via the mod matrix, and route that CV out to whatever you wish to control. To make it run even slower, route a programmable button to LFO 2 rate with a value of -100.

Because Thor's LFO will always be running no matter how slow you set it, though, I prefer to use Little LFO for this. On Little LFO, set an oscillator to its stepped random mode, set the rate mode to 'free' and turn the rate down to zero, then activate sync and route its CV out wherever you like. With this method, Little LFO will produce a new random CV value with each MIDI or CV gate it receives and will hold it until it receives another.

I hope this is what you were after.

• Information