Déjà Vu Delay Station in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
dvdrtldg

06 Oct 2016

Faastwalker wrote:you can never have too much delay in your arsenal
Amen brother

sumusik

06 Oct 2016

bsp wrote:(Déjà Vu has no overall dry/wet knob itself).
bsp, thanks for thoroughly checking this out and working with the devs to fix the bugs. It helps everyone interested in this unit. Regarding the quote, I assumed the "mix" knob was essentially the dry/wet?

bsp

06 Oct 2016

sumusik wrote: I assumed the "mix" knob was essentially the dry/wet?
that's what I first thought, too.

"Mix" controls the delay wet/dry level, and "Pitch Mix" the pitchshifter wet/dry level.

The input signal goes into the pitchshifter, then into the delay. When you set the "Mix" knob to 0%, you'll only hear the pitchshifter (or the dry input signal, depending on "Pitch Mix").

EDIT:
Made a little delay experiment today. The main delay is Steerpike and Déjà Vu sits in its feedback loop, adding a nice little "bloom" effect. Expanse occasionally adds another delay to the Steerpike input signal. Warning: Sounds very new agey.

Breach The Sky

06 Oct 2016

EDIT:
Made a little delay experiment today. The main delay is Steerpike and Déjà Vu sits in its feedback loop, adding a nice little "bloom" effect. Expanse occasionally adds another delay to the Steerpike input signal. Warning: Sounds very new agey.
That sounds awesome! Will try this for sure.

SunSetCity

06 Oct 2016

bsp wrote:
Wow, sounds totally cool. Could you post a Combinator with it, please? Thanks in advance!

Cheers
SunSet

bsp

06 Oct 2016

@Breach The Sky / @SunSetCity: Thanks for listening! Initially I just wanted to make a small demo for the bloom effect, then got carried away a little.

Unfortunately, I currently cannot post any combinator patches that use the Déjà Vu RE since I am still using the beta version which is not patch-compatible with the latest official version (at least Reason says so).
I sincerely hope that there will be a new official release of this RE soon.

What you basically have to do is use Steerpike's "Tap Out" and "Tap In" jacks to send the feedback signal to the Deja Vu RE, then crank up the "tap level"s to hear it.
Déjà Vu settings are mix=31%, feedback=27%, pitchmix=57%, pitch=7 digital+pingpong=off, mode=boomerang.
For this experiment, I mapped a couple of knobs/faders on my master keyboard to things like wavetable position+osc mod amounts+dly amount (in Expanse), bbd1+2 tap level + feedback (in Steerpike), dry/wet ratio (in Chenille), then recorded a couple of minutes of knob-tweaking, processed that with a few EQs, compressors and a limiter, duplicated the audio track, processed it again with a different set of FX (more subtle this time to keep the dry sound character), level-mixed the two audio tracks and exported the result as a wav.
In the middle of all of this, my PC suddenly died and I had to spend a couple of hours getting+installing a new power supply (fortunately it was just that).
And yeah, I was actually doing it wrong when I connected Steerpike to Deja Vu, that's why the bloom is mostly audible in the stereo center.
Instead of taps 1+2 I connected taps 1+3 (both still hard-panned left and right, respectively).

borracho

12 Oct 2016

Just downloaded Deja Vu delay... WOW!!! It sounds amazing! I underestimated this device when I've seen it arrived at the store.
We need more REs like this one. Small - doing pretty simple thing but sounding great when combined with other devices!

ohmygoff

16 Oct 2016

Any news on bug fixes available to the public?

Yonatan

07 Nov 2016

An upate seem to be out.

So, this device is like a kind of Polar?

Marco Raaphorst

07 Nov 2016

Yonatan wrote:An upate seem to be out.

Hard to compare. Déjà Vu has some really unique delay options (reversed, boomerang + analog delay). Polar has a very basic delay.

Déjà Vu's pitch shifting is the best I have found in any Reason device. Polar pitch shift sounds really bad imo.

Yonatan

08 Nov 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
Yonatan wrote:An upate seem to be out.

Hard to compare. Déjà Vu has some really unique delay options (reversed, boomerang + analog delay). Polar has a very basic delay.

Déjà Vu's pitch shifting is the best I have found in any Reason device. Polar pitch shift sounds really bad imo.

Will try it, had forgot about it so good to get reminded. Seems to be a very creative device. Way more attractive inside than the outer look. Seems to be a go-to RE in a guitar set-up. Will be interesting how it works with vocals also. Polar would really need a (free) update to stand the competition in the shop.

TheGuyNotNamedBob

09 Nov 2016

Question to Users:

Does the new update fix the crash issues?

bsp

17 Nov 2016

TheGuyNotNamedBob wrote:Question to Users:

Yes it does (+ the pitch shifter now also works on Windows).

The Propellerhead "sync all" web site feature is currently broken (for at least a week now) so the update can only be downloaded on the product page.

Here's another sound sample (no FX except for three Déjà Vu instances and a master limiter, first 9 seconds are dry):

One thing that is unusual about this delay is that the insert effect does not sit in the feedback loop (not saying that this is bad, just something to keep in mind).

TheGuyNotNamedBob

17 Nov 2016

bsp wrote:
TheGuyNotNamedBob wrote:Question to Users:

Yes it does (+ the pitch shifter now also works on Windows).

The Propellerhead "sync all" web site feature is currently broken (for at least a week now) so the update can only be downloaded on the product page.

Here's another sound sample (no FX except for three Déjà Vu instances and a master limiter, first 9 seconds are dry):

One thing that is unusual about this delay is that the insert effect does not sit in the feedback loop (not saying that this is bad, just something to keep in mind).
I'm interested, I just didn't purchase it because of the crash issues. I'll have to pick it up sometime... maybe in the may madness sale (R9 for Black Friday)

• Information