Skrock Music's Radiator in the shop (temporarily pulled - being renamed Thermal)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Social Exodus

08 Nov 2016

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/thermal/

They have apparently pulled this RE and are renaming it due to copyright issues. I will try to keep track of when the new one reappears and change to topic title and the link here when that happens.
Last edited by Social Exodus on 02 Dec 2016, edited 2 times in total.
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

eusti

08 Nov 2016

Sounds interesting, but I might be too dense to get what this really does... And I thought I knew synthesizers... :P

D.

Social Exodus

08 Nov 2016

eusti wrote:
Sounds interesting, but I might be too dense to get what this really does... And I thought I knew synthesizers... :P

D.
Me neither, but I thought I'd list it here for others that may be interested.
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

eusti

08 Nov 2016

Siberian Khatru wrote:
eusti wrote:

D.
Me neither, but I thought I'd list it here for others that may be interested.
Hehe! :)

D.

platzangst

08 Nov 2016

If I'm reading this right, it's sort of like a mix-and-match waveform generator. It has a set of internal wave cycles, like probably a sine and sawtooth and so on, but each divided into four parts. So if you just want a straight sine, you select all four parts of bank A, or whichever one holds the sine. But, you can choose to cobble together a mutant waveform by selecting parts of four different waveforms.

These would supposedly have weirder harmonics than the classic synth wave shapes, and there's some further tweaking you can apparently do to the individual slices. So it's a pretty interesting concept, and not too expensive at all, I'll probably pick it up on my next buying binge.

Yonatan

08 Nov 2016

Wow, another synth in the shop. Looks different. Not bad price.

eusti

08 Nov 2016

platzangst wrote:If I'm reading this right, it's sort of like a mix-and-match waveform generator. It has a set of internal wave cycles, like probably a sine and sawtooth and so on, but each divided into four parts. So if you just want a straight sine, you select all four parts of bank A, or whichever one holds the sine. But, you can choose to cobble together a mutant waveform by selecting parts of four different waveforms.

These would supposedly have weirder harmonics than the classic synth wave shapes, and there's some further tweaking you can apparently do to the individual slices. So it's a pretty interesting concept, and not too expensive at all, I'll probably pick it up on my next buying binge.
Thanks for explaining... That is pretty much what I thought... Please report back, when you have tested it! :)

D.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2016

eusti wrote:
platzangst wrote:If I'm reading this right, it's sort of like a mix-and-match waveform generator. It has a set of internal wave cycles, like probably a sine and sawtooth and so on, but each divided into four parts. So if you just want a straight sine, you select all four parts of bank A, or whichever one holds the sine. But, you can choose to cobble together a mutant waveform by selecting parts of four different waveforms.

Thanks for explaining... That is pretty much what I thought... Please report back, when you have tested it! :)

D.
This pic shows what's it up to..

Regards

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2016

Seems like a cool concept for a synth.

But right now I'm immersed in The Legend and it's gonna be like that for a while.
After that Expanse is next on the list of synths to master.

I own way to many synths already and I haven't even learned half of what they're capable of. So no more impulse synth purchases for me before I somewhat master the synths I already have.

Of course this is what I always say to myself until some new fun toy comes along or a song challenge starts.
But I mean it this time, I think...

Noplan
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2016

Could this be a problem, Selig?

http://www.soundtoys.com/product/radiator/

platzangst

08 Nov 2016

As I understand trademark rules, if someone uses a common word as a brand, another person can also use that word as long as it's for a different product. This is how you could have the Beatles' Apple Records and Apple Computers coexisting, their markets didn't overlap - until Apple came out with iTunes, selling music, and there was some conflict there.

This Radiator may or may not be considered to overlap with the other Radiator - different function, different platforms, BUT they are both music related plug-ins. So it's kind of borderline, depending on how the rules might be interpreted.

selig
RE Developer

08 Nov 2016

Noplan wrote:Could this be a problem, Selig?

http://www.soundtoys.com/product/radiator/
For those who don't know, I'm being asked this question because the initial name for the Selig Leveler was The Curve. I was approached by Cable Guys because the name was similar enough to one of their products they felt there could be confusion, especially if they ever entered the RE market. There were EXTREMELY nice and professional about the whole subject, BTW, perfect gentlemen at all times!

I was also told that the Props would be more likely to err on the side of caution if they felt there may be any potential conflict, which I totally understand.

So in an abundance of caution, especially as it was my first RE product, I decided to change the name.

Bottom line, if soundtoys makes no comment/complaint, then they are fine. If they have already approached soundtoys, which would be the smart thing to do after the obligatory name search, then maybe things have already been worked out. If they have NOT done this, then now is the time to change the name (assuming there would be a conflict).

I don't know the law, but why go to court even if you're right, unless you have the cash on hand and are certain you'll win? I would think that durning any court case you'd have to suspend sales anyway, so who knows. Again, if soundtoys sees no conflict, there's no problem because they are the only ones who could bring legal action as I understand it. But I'm no expert, and I'm also pragmatic, so if it was me I'd change the name (as evidenced by history!).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

michal22

08 Nov 2016

I love this extension. :)
Extremaly simple, cheap, fast results and good sound.
Very interesting new concept of wave division.
Ableton Live Suite 10 / Reason 10 / Windows 10 / Fingers - also 10 ;)

Benedict
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2016

I Beta'd for Radiator and while it is definitely not in the same space as eXpanse there is some cross with The Legend as Radiator majors in Basses and Leads as you hear in Marcus' demo. That said I pulled some interesting pads...

In Subtractor, or just about any synth, adding a second Osc plays the two Osc on top of each other - at the same time. Radiator however, pops them in a chain so each wave plays one after the other. The concept seems mind boggling but is really no more complex than the PD Osc that allows you to chain two waves - only Radiator allows up to four in the chain.

In Subtractor, you can detune the two Osc against each other for a phatter sound. Radiator has effectively one Osc, but you can detune each wave slice to achieve the same end.

That means that in use Radiator can deliver from simple analog to gruff and gnarly wavetable-style sounds.

Well worth checking out as a character instrument.

:)
Last edited by Benedict on 08 Nov 2016, edited 1 time in total.
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

jonheal

08 Nov 2016

I have an alternate name available, if needed: Chimera.

'Course, I've trademark-squatted it, so I'll be needing a bit of compensation. :puf_smile:
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Noplan
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2016

or he can use the german translation: Heizkörper (you have to read it with Tills voice from Rammstein)

modecca

08 Nov 2016

jonheal wrote:I have an alternate name available, if needed: Chimera.

'Course, I've trademark-squatted it, so I'll be needing a bit of compensation. :puf_smile:

Majkens-Chimera.jpg
Majkens-Chimera.jpg (84.65 KiB) Viewed 2801 times
🔗💥

Creativemind

08 Nov 2016

No video showing it used. Is this going to be the trend now with the new shop layout?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

TheGuyNotNamedBob

08 Nov 2016

Is this just me, or is this synth's basic premise (Chopping waveforms and combining them) so close to Nostromo?

I do really like the sound... I'll have to wait for a while before a try, what with Black Friday coming and all.

Noplan
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2016

I tested radiator and i like how this synth creates unstable sounds when you play with drive, sub, Filter/Amp Env and then use cutoff. At low settings the sound disappears abrupt and completly. With high settings the synth roars unexpected. Nice.

I don't know if that was intended, but i like it. it has an organic flavour.
Last edited by Noplan on 08 Nov 2016, edited 1 time in total.

jonheal

08 Nov 2016

modecca wrote:
jonheal wrote:I have an alternate name available, if needed: Chimera.

Majkens-Chimera.jpg
Dadgummit! Where's my lawyer's business card?
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

geronimo

08 Nov 2016

Adopted . ;)
Attachments
Filter Modulate.cmb.zip
(42.97 KiB) Downloaded 70 times

Benedict
Competition Winner

09 Nov 2016

Here's a track I made today using 100% Radiator. Once you get past the oddity of the Osc then it is a very cool instrument with a lot of character that can equally do smooth or gruff - with a tendency to chunky, esp when using the drive. The intro uses the tendency mentioned earlier to be lumpy when lots of drive is used.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

michal22

09 Nov 2016

Benedict wrote:
Here's a track I made today using 100% Radiator.
Cool start. Later the song lost charm in my opinion. After a 38 second I thought it would be something like Prodigy. :)

As for the extension... another great thing is possibility automation of changing quadrants of the waves. :) This can enrich the sound nicely.

michal22

09 Nov 2016

By the way. I rated extension to 5 stars. Despite this, I do not see any assessment and I can not judge anymore. Probably shop is not working properly.

• Information