Flower Audio vs RE 128 loudness meter

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
dvdrtldg

23 Nov 2016

Any advice on which is better? At a glance it looks like the RE 128 has more features, but maybe I don't need them all

I'm a music & radio documentary producer - have been getting along OK without a dedicated loudness meter, mostly because we have dedicated sound engineers at work who understand all the specs. But if I was going to bite the bullet and learn how to use one, which would you recommend?

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2016

Mr No Help Here,

I have them both and I use them next to each other all the time when doing sound design and for general monitoring of my mixes..

I do use/reference the Loudness meter more mainly as I can set a -12db reference for sound creation but I do like to know my dynamic range..

They are that cheap at the moment so why not buy them both....

JerrelTheKing

25 Nov 2016

I really would like to know which 1 is better as well. They do the same thing so it's no reason to buy both..

Loque

25 Nov 2016

There is no better and they dont do the same thing. If you mean just metering, than you dont need both, because you have this already in Reason.

I use Flower to have exact and easy view for my peaks by value. i use 128 if i want to have a detailed look on my peak history to adjust a compressor or limiter or whatever, but imo the display could be better somehow. Both do a good job. There is no better, its a matter of taste and what you need. Also there is another RE that displays the volume history and others that display volume and peaks.
Reason12, Win10

dana

25 Nov 2016

I use RE128 all the time, i don't use Flower any more. I like to zoom in and pinpoint a short period of time where all the action is.

Bonkhead

26 Nov 2016

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:I have them both and I use them next to each other all the time when doing sound design and for general monitoring of my mixes..
Me too, plus mastering.

kloeckno

27 Nov 2016

Pongasoft's VAC-6 (which is free) has some features in common with RE 128 also, plus it has the benefit of displaying graphics when the transport is stopped. When I first bought RE 128 I thought my graphics card drivers were causing a bug or something because the display is blank when the song wasn't playing, and I hadn't tried hitting play yet!

• Information