Polymodular system or??

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
samp

30 Nov 2016

Greetings. Ok last call. Polymodular system for $29 or get the Viking synth for $39??? Anyone have advice. Thanks all!

Skullture

30 Nov 2016

I own both, so I might give you a simple answer.

If you like cabling and tweaking , seeing what the rack is really capable of, then you should go with Polymodular. The price is insane and the possibilities are huge. Just remember it isn't light on CPU. And you need to be patient to get some good sounds, but all the hard work in patching is worth it. Plus it comes with a really killer filter that you can use on other devices as well.

Now, if you are seeking a fantastic sounding monophonic synth that thrives on basslines and nasty leads, the VK-1 is for you. If you want poly sounds from the VK-1, you need to own Distributor, which is an extra 9EUR. But very much worth it. Also keep in mind that distributor is part of the Polymodular bundle, but you can purchase the Polymodular package without distributor as well. So whatever works for you.
Vk-1 is also very easy for tweaking, and if you are not into patching then you should know Vk-1 comes with some really good patches. The eXode patches in there are great as he always makes them.

I'm curious to see what you are going to pick. I would just get them both, you can integrate VK-1 in a Polymodular combi for extra power :D

EDIT: oh, and Polymodular comes with an external refill that you can download on the Blamsoft website, just saying ;)

xRwu8

30 Nov 2016

I pulled the trigger on the Polymod system even though I'm only a CV newbie. Seems super fun, and now that I'm getting really into cabling the core Reason devices I see Polymod being really enjoyable to grow with. Can't speak to Viking, but I think if you're into experimentation the Polymod price is very nice
:reason: :recycle: :refill: :re: :rt:

fieldframe
RE Developer

30 Nov 2016

Question about Distributor, PolyCV, and Polymodular / Viking: I presume you need to wire up another copy of the patch for each voice, correct? Or is there some magic in PolyCV that lets you reuse certain parts for polyphony?

buddard
RE Developer

30 Nov 2016

fieldframe wrote:Question about Distributor, PolyCV, and Polymodular / Viking: I presume you need to wire up another copy of the patch for each voice, correct? Or is there some magic in PolyCV that lets you reuse certain parts for polyphony?
There is some reduced patching. For instance, the PolyCV protocol allows you to use a single CV cable for all voices. You still need to wire the audio cables separately for each voice, though. The approach of the Polymodular system is that each device supports up to 8 voices (with a single set of controls which saves a lot of time!), so each device has 8 stereo pairs of inputs/outputs.

samp

30 Nov 2016

Thank you all for the input, but i got home from work and it looks like the Blamsoft sale is over, so i won't be getting anything...

Catblack

02 Dec 2016

Yeah, I had this problem too. I had Polymodular in my cart at one point, but didn't buy it before the sale ended. It's on the list to try out. Will check it out when it's on sale next.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

• Information