SUNDER amplitude splitter by Unfiltered Audio is released

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
theshoemaker

11 Jan 2017

Could go on for hours. Just spent some time with a PSQ and KONG and a Sunder sandwich. Perfect modular love. I'm dying to buy this the next days. I love the dynamic gating. Set the low and high band close to each other to have a small mid band. Used a Pulveriser on the Low Band with the Env Follower CV into the High Band to open up the mid band with a echo on it. Lovely .. very
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

Faastwalker

11 Jan 2017

theshoemaker wrote:Could go on for hours. Just spent some time with a PSQ and KONG and a Sunder sandwich. Perfect modular love. I'm dying to buy this the next days. I love the dynamic gating. Set the low and high band close to each other to have a small mid band. Used a Pulveriser on the Low Band with the Env Follower CV into the High Band to open up the mid band with a echo on it. Lovely .. very
Sounds good. Are you able to post a file / upload song? i'm still getting my head around the PSQ so anything using this is interesting ;)

GRIFTY

12 Jan 2017

so is this thing a 3-band gate?

tumar

12 Jan 2017

selig wrote: This is not exactly the same thing - this splits the audio FIRST, then you apply effects to the individual bands. So if you're talking about the top/loud band, then it's similar. But you ALSO have lower bands as well which do different things. And also, you THEN blend all bands back together, which again is different from what you were planning.
So how it compares to Elements Splitter or Yoko paired, i.e with any compressor?

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... -splitter/

theshoemaker

12 Jan 2017

GRIFTY wrote:so is this thing a 3-band gate?
Keep in mind. This is on the amplitude defined by dB, not to confuse with the common band stuff with frequency. The low Band is defined by the low knob. upper limit on the display (Blue bar, Blue Knob, Blue Band). Same geoes for the High band with read. The Mid Band is yellow and the thing in between. On the back you have two CV inputs. One for the Low and one for the High knob. So by changing the low and high band you broaden or narrow down the area of the bands. And in this case the amount from the amplitude band of audio. So for example, when you have a effect with and env follower which triggers only on the low volume band, the env follower send a signal out of it's CV routed to the high band. Just try stuff like this. So what happens is, that more amount of audio form the mid range is put to the effect chain connected to it. And I even didn't try yet, to route the send to different bands, not it's origin .. lets try this :lol: It's so convenient to have a rack for this setup. I love how to evolve sound wiht sunder. The effects. Just different
Last edited by theshoemaker on 12 Jan 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Loque

12 Jan 2017

tumar wrote:
selig wrote: This is not exactly the same thing - this splits the audio FIRST, then you apply effects to the individual bands. So if you're talking about the top/loud band, then it's similar. But you ALSO have lower bands as well which do different things. And also, you THEN blend all bands back together, which again is different from what you were planning.
So how it compares to Elements Splitter or Yoko paired, i.e with any compressor?

Its an amplitude splitter, not a frequency splitter. They are not comparable.
Reason12, Win10

theshoemaker

12 Jan 2017

tumar wrote:

How do all of the unfiltered Audio Products differ from the feature set?
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product_ ... ed-bundle/

Sunder works in the time domain as mentioned on the amplitude! Yoco works on the frequency. Different domain. You can compare Sunder to G8, but then not, it is the V2 of G8. I guess Elements works also on Frequency. Just try Sunder ... I love it

normen

12 Jan 2017

Loque wrote:There are a few EQs that pull out 32 or more bands. RE 302 or RE 60 comes in my mind.
Did a new 32-band version based on the RE60 band splitter, performs much better, I can just about run it on my MacBook Airs 1.4GHz i5:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y7b5ge1o3o535 ... 2.cmb?dl=1

And while there is some change in sound from just recombining the bands of the RE60 it works much better in terms of sound as well. This one could actually be useful for... something ^^

theshoemaker

12 Jan 2017

Faastwalker wrote:
theshoemaker wrote:Could go on for hours. Just spent some time with a PSQ and KONG and a Sunder sandwich. Perfect modular love. I'm dying to buy this the next days. I love the dynamic gating. Set the low and high band close to each other to have a small mid band. Used a Pulveriser on the Low Band with the Env Follower CV into the High Band to open up the mid band with a echo on it. Lovely .. very
Sounds good. Are you able to post a file / upload song? i'm still getting my head around the PSQ so anything using this is interesting ;)
Going to create a new topic for PSQ related stuff, if there isn't already one.

Peter

12 Jan 2017

theshoemaker wrote:Going to create a new topic for PSQ related stuff, if there isn't already one.
Great! :thumbs_up:

geronimo

12 Jan 2017

Maybe a Zoom function on the display would have been useful ...?

Loque

12 Jan 2017

geronimo wrote:Maybe a Zoom function on the display would have been useful ...?
Yes, tgat would be helpful. Until its available you can use the input knob and enable the output compensation. If this is not enough add more gain and reduce it after tge send out or output.
Reason12, Win10

chimp_spanner

12 Jan 2017

Oh man. So I wanted to say this looks interesting but I can't see a use for it. Then I demo'd it. And now I guess I gotta buy it!

Just a simple saw wave with filter modulation sounds crazy; the sound is kinda morphing through all different effects chains as the filter modulates. Very very cool!

theshoemaker

12 Jan 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:Oh man. So I wanted to say this looks interesting but I can't see a use for it. Then I demo'd it. And now I guess I gotta buy it!

Just a simple saw wave with filter modulation sounds crazy; the sound is kinda morphing through all different effects chains as the filter modulates. Very very cool!
Oh yes. Know what you mean. Just uploaded a short demo of a combinator I'm going to post in my PSQ-1684 Showroom thread .. This wobbling morphing sound. Brilliant. Used the Primal Audio Acid in this one.

unfilteredaudio

12 Jan 2017

Awesome! We're really enjoying the demos and ideas posted in this thread.

If we want to upload the Sunder demos and example projects, is Allihoopa a good place to do that?

theshoemaker

12 Jan 2017

As a reference for sure. I'd keep a link to the demo files on your website in the song description on allihoopa. Have you been talking to Kenni to feature Sunder on the main page? Might also be some place to store the project files. I'm goind to upload my samples over in the PSQ-1684 Showroom thread while exploring both together.

Galaxy

13 Jan 2017

Looking at all the hype around this processor and deeply considering it, this got me thinking. Couldn't you stack a couple G8 racks and feed one with the reject input of the other, kinda like creating a multiband splitter out of Mclass Stereo Imagers? This would allow for the first G8 to output the top level, reject output fed to input of 2nd G8, set lower threshold, have the mid level output the 2nd G8, and the reject output of the 2nd G8 outputs the low level.

Have to try this cause it's all in theory atm. If it works than you'd have more control over envelope shape, wouldn't you?

Convince me the benefits of using Sunder over stacked G8s? What else do we get with Sunder? Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of this device and probably gonna get it anyways. We have what, a week since the release date before it goes up to full price? When exactly will that be? Monday, or exactly a week from initial release?

Edit: and what is this ECON button for? Looking for a manual, but couldn't find one?

Loque

13 Jan 2017

Galaxy wrote:Looking at all the hype around this processor and deeply considering it, this got me thinking. Couldn't you stack a couple G8 racks and feed one with the reject input of the other, kinda like creating a multiband splitter out of Mclass Stereo Imagers? This would allow for the first G8 to output the top level, reject output fed to input of 2nd G8, set lower threshold, have the mid level output the 2nd G8, and the reject output of the 2nd G8 outputs the low level.

Have to try this cause it's all in theory atm. If it works than you'd have more control over envelope shape, wouldn't you?

Convince me the benefits of using Sunder over stacked G8s? What else do we get with Sunder? Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of this device and probably gonna get it anyways. We have what, a week since the release date before it goes up to full price? When exactly will that be? Monday, or exactly a week from initial release?

Edit: and what is this ECON button for? Looking for a manual, but couldn't find one?
This also comes directly into my mind and i tried it. It worked quite well, but i had hard times to adjust the thresholds and the results were not that satisfying. After fiddling around for 1h i realized that i am much faster with Sunder and have a bit better results.

I also noticed that the level metring seems to be different.

But feel free to try it yourself. Also check for different sound sources and how long you need to adjust it.

I like Sunder and would even like to see some improvements, even if it will be hard to realize.
Reason12, Win10

tiker01

13 Jan 2017

unfilteredaudio wrote:Awesome! We're really enjoying the demos and ideas posted in this thread.

If we want to upload the Sunder demos and example projects, is Allihoopa a good place to do that?

It depends. If you want people to be able to download them, then yes!

You can create your hashtags and or group and other people can upload their demos too. So you will end up with an interactive demo with comments place.

Please don't abandon this thread. :D

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Shokstar

13 Jan 2017

Sunder is a cool tool, I use it a lot now because I can easily cut out pops from the Low end while I keep the rest untouched.

thezkd

13 Jan 2017

I really view Sunder as a breath of fresh air in my future productions.
:reason: user from Transylvania. I use :reason: from front-to-end of a production.

Galaxy

14 Jan 2017

Kind of a big deal here, and I advise Unfiltered Audio to take a close look at this BUG!

Connecting cv to the back inputs makes a 64 sample delay, at 48k sample playback, on the right main output. To correct this a 64 sample delay needs to be put on the left main output of Sunder. Delays might be different amounts at different playback sample rates.

CV signals are coming from Pulveriser's LFO and Follower.

Edit: what's weird here is that this delay seems to be coming from an Spider Audio Merger Splitter actually. Sunder's output is split into a Spider Audio Merger Splitter, and the copy signal that is sent to the Pulveriser has a weird delay effect on its CV, which affects the right main output of Sunder. Should this be? Me thinks not?

Amusesmile

14 Jan 2017

Hey everyone, this is Josh from Unfiltered Audio. As Mike mentioned, Sunder was my often neglected labor of love over the past few years so I'm thrilled that it's finally released. Sorry it took so long and thanks for the generally positive feedback and support. I think this is a pretty novel effect and we're excited to see how people use it.

As for the bug you're seeing Galaxy, I feel like it might be a simple case of one-buffer-delay caused from having audio coming in through the return input. Could you send me a picture of the back of your rack in the situation you're describing. The ECON button is to turn the display, which vastly cuts down on CPU usage.

To answer some previous questions, yes this is completely time-domain so there's no latency introduced besides the lookahead amount. No FFTs under the hood, I promise ;)

01B, glad to deliver something of interest and I really appreciate the reference to Dynamizer. It wasn't on my radar previously, but yes it's a very similar concept and I'll be sure to check it out in more detail. From reading the description I'm imagining a very different underlying algorithm in terms of how band transitions are handled. Sunder is imagined as a splitter foremost, so the algorithm is set up to maintain an always-sum-to-one ratio of energy between the bands (so the gain is constant if everything is set to 0.0 dB change). Whereas if I were going for a Dynamizer type of compression effect I would probably favor envelope shape over even splits, etc. I'd love to take my own stab at that concept some day, since it looks quite cool and I think I know roughly how it's pulled off internally...

Ostermilk, your idea about splitting things as a percentage of the audio is a great one. I've been talking internally with Michael about adding a "smart" threshold to all of our dynamics-based effects. Just something that would adjust itself, trying to keep X percent of the signal above/below, etc. I'm sure we'll get around to it eventually.

Loque, thanks for the tap about the dry/wet blending. Michael is also very much in favor of that knob on Sunder 2.0. Another thing I want to add is a shuffle button/knob that shift through all 6 permutations of the bands, so for instance you could hit the button to swap low with high, mid with high, low with mid, etc. to quickly trade which effect is going where.

The general advantage to using Sunder as opposed to multiple gates in a combinator is the even splits during band transitions. I don't think you'll really be able to pull it off unless the gates were using identical length linear envelopes or something trivially simple. Sunder is able to use different shape/length envelopes without losing sum-to-one gain because everything happens internally. Don't get me wrong because you can definitely get cool effects using a crude two-gate system, it just doesn't have the same level of control/speed/detail.

miscend

14 Jan 2017

Are you guys at Unfiltered Audio still working on a Spatial Modulation Synthesis based synth?

Galaxy

15 Jan 2017

Hey Josh, I'll see what I can do, but try this in the meantime. Btw, yes I did have Scream4s on each band's send and return, but not sure why only the right main output would be delayed. Would think at least both left and right would be delayed equally.

Try this.

Use Sunder on a dr Rex drum loop, set low and high threshold to liking. Put Sunder in the mix channel insert.

Throw scream4s on each send return.

Use a spider audio to split Sunder's main output. Put the first split into the mix channel insert return.

Create a Pulveriser. Feed it with the 2nd split of the spider audio.

Use Pulverizer's LFO or follower cv out to modulate Sunder's cv inputs. Try the low and high thersholds.

Notice delay in right main output.

Remove the audio split that is fed to the Pulveriser. Notice how delay goes away.

You can try to remove the scream4s to see if this adds to the issue, I'll try that as soon as I'm back.

Even if the delay is unavoidable, I still can't see how a cv connection triggers it, and that it only happens to the right main output.

When has connecting a cv signal delayed an audio output?

Want to buy this device before the intro price goes away, will this be fixed soon?

• Information