Frame CV Generator - my first RE is out now!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
teddymcw

13 Jan 2017

Hell Yes Speo! Will buy just out of support, but this just happens to be an awesomely fun and useful type of device.

theshoemaker

14 Jan 2017

MDTerps2015 wrote:
theshoemaker wrote:
Shokstar wrote:Instant buy, it´s good tool for Dubstep Music :) I´ll use it a lot in the future I guess :) Thanks for making such a handy tool like this.

A few suggestions from my side:

- Solo/Mute for each Frame Generator
- CV Invert
- CV Uni/Bipolar

Cheers
Shokstar
there are so many other free tools you can use in the meantime for it. like the cva 7 cv analyzer which has the feature you request :) .. also have a look at the free rack extensions thread. Don't miss on the Jiggery ones gone free.
I am buying it just to support the developer. Speo has been around like forever and makes really good music. I have actually chatted with him on face book. Free this and free that, how about supporting some of the hard work and grit that goes into supporting our platform. Thanks Speo.
I'm taking about Shokstar can use a free RE for the features he asks for in the meantime, until Speo might decide to implement them. Didn't say anything about making it free :lol:
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

ravisoni

14 Jan 2017

I'm a big fan of everything speo, and this is really nifty. One question I have is how is this different from synchronous? Doesn't synchronous allow automation curves and CV in/out as well, along with triggering capability through the back panel?
(I don't do a lot of work with CV, so just curious at this point).
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

theshoemaker

14 Jan 2017

ravisoni wrote:I'm a big fan of everything speo, and this is really nifty. One question I have is how is this different from synchronous? Doesn't synchronous allow automation curves and CV in/out as well, along with triggering capability through the back panel?
Actually Synchronous is just a free running LFO :roll: It'll be so easy to have a trigger function on it. Actually Frame CV is the better tool to get, because of it's trigger modes. Just connect and LFO to the position. I'll upload a patch later to show you an example on how to rebuilt something similar as synchronous with FrameCV

Shokstar

14 Jan 2017

theshoemaker wrote:
MDTerps2015 wrote:
theshoemaker wrote:
Shokstar wrote:Instant buy, it´s good tool for Dubstep Music :) I´ll use it a lot in the future I guess :) Thanks for making such a handy tool like this.

- CV Invert
- CV Uni/Bipolar

Cheers
Shokstar
there are so many other free tools you can use in the meantime for it. like the cva 7 cv analyzer which has the feature you request :) .. also have a look at the free rack extensions thread. Don't miss on the Jiggery ones gone free.
I am buying it just to support the developer. Speo has been around like forever and makes really good music. I have actually chatted with him on face book. Free this and free that, how about supporting some of the hard work and grit that goes into supporting our platform. Thanks Speo.
I'm taking about Shokstar can use a free RE for the features he asks for in the meantime, until Speo might decide to implement them. Didn't say anything about making it free :lol:
True, you can do it with stock devices too but it´s easier to do it on the device itself (for a better workflow).

Speo
RE Developer

14 Jan 2017

I'm super grateful for the support guys! It's incredible how welcoming the Rack Extension platform and community is to new, small-scale devs. <3

ravisoni wrote:I'm a big fan of everything speo, and this is really nifty. One question I have is how is this different from synchronous? Doesn't synchronous allow automation curves and CV in/out as well, along with triggering capability through the back panel?
FrameCV is focused on being a CV utility with minimal controls, whereas I'd call Synchronous a movement powerhouse. A difference I'd highlight is the way users can define curves.

Shokstar

14 Jan 2017

Hey Speo,

I have another feature suggestion for you.

Can you make it available that you device can receive notes within a Combinator? It's really a time saver because I'm using to Workaround the free tool "one-note-stand" I know the trigger cv in should solve this for purposes out of the Combinator but within the Combinator could you do it with one click in the Programmer window.

This tool is really a time saver for, growl basses are easy modulated with your tool, just in seconds. I have all other envelope generators but this is for me the fastest way to get fast results without wiring to much work arounds to get the same result out of the box.

selig
RE Developer

14 Jan 2017

Congrats on your first RE!
All my suggestions have already been made above, so carry on and great work!
Selig Audio, LLC

Speo
RE Developer

14 Jan 2017

Shokstar wrote:Can you make it available that you device can receive notes within a Combinator? It's really a time saver because I'm using to Workaround the free tool "one-note-stand" I know the trigger cv in should solve this for purposes out of the Combinator but within the Combinator could you do it with one click in the Programmer window.
That will be super useful and definitely part of 1.1. FrameCV works great as part of a combinator patch, and I recently noticed as well that note input would make it even more useful in a combi. It's coming.
selig wrote:Congrats on your first RE!
All my suggestions have already been made above, so carry on and great work!
Thank you!

Gorgon

14 Jan 2017

So what does this thing do that Synchronous can't do?
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Speo
RE Developer

14 Jan 2017

Gorgon wrote:So what does this thing do that Synchronous can't do?
While a bunch of use cases are similar, the devices are conceptually quite different. FrameCV is a simple utility, aiming to offer quick and direct controls for generating CV along curves. Synchronous with it's versatile pattern based curve editor and inbuilt effects is a lot less lightweight, but has a wider range of applications. In contrast, FrameCV is simply all about streamlining CV curve workflow.

theshoemaker

14 Jan 2017

- CV Invert
- CV Uni/Bipolar

Cheers
Shokstar
Tried this with CVA 7 ... having 24 in total. Sucks a lot of DSP. So yeah, would be great to add those feature... per CV Signal

pongasoft
RE Developer

14 Jan 2017

theshoemaker wrote: Tried this with CVA 7 ... having 24 in total. Sucks a lot of DSP. So yeah, would be great to add those feature... per CV Signal
Did you turn off the displays (keyboard and graph) in CVA-7? If you are not using them, turning them off should reduce the DSP usage.

Yan

dana

14 Jan 2017

Scanning across the frames via the position knob, and triggering frames via cv (synchronous can only sync to tempo)

chimp_spanner

14 Jan 2017

Curves man! Nice, smooth curves. Plus being able to freely scan through them. Well worth the 9 bucks :)

joeyluck

14 Jan 2017

Well Synchronous does have the Master Offset which you can sweep. And you can access automation via the Sequencer. But I don't think you can make Synchronous not run, so doesn't quite work the same when you hit Play.

theshoemaker

15 Jan 2017

pongasoft wrote:
theshoemaker wrote: Tried this with CVA 7 ... having 24 in total. Sucks a lot of DSP. So yeah, would be great to add those feature... per CV Signal
Did you turn off the displays (keyboard and graph) in CVA-7? If you are not using them, turning them off should reduce the DSP usage.

Yan
Yes I did. Thanks for the hint. That's been the first counter measure. In the end, I figured out, I don't need CVA7 in this case for rebuilding Synchronous function. Great product so far. Because I wanted to also have some knob for dialing in the -/+ amount of the bipolar signal I ended up using the CV delay splitter. Same DSP usage so far. It's just, when you add up 24 instances of whatever CV splitter/merger device (didn't try the stock one) I end up with 1 to 2 DSP meters added on top. But I didn't test exhaustive to figure out where the DSP really comes from.

theshoemaker

15 Jan 2017

theshoemaker wrote:
Actually Synchronous is just a free running LFO :roll: It'll be so easy to have a trigger function on it. Actually Frame CV is the better tool to get, because of it's trigger modes. Just connect and LFO to the position. I'll upload a patch later to show you an example on how to rebuilt something similar as synchronous with FrameCV
So here it is. It is a Synchronesque setup called Asynchronous, as I've been splitting it up into different combinators, which require some setup. But it's more flexible this way. Attach is a reason demo song with the initial setup.

The Effects are each put into a combinator, which allows for reordering and creating of new effect types with the same interface, even if the core inside changes, ie like using a different RE. The rotaries are assigned to something usefull (hopefully) to dial in the parameters like Amount, Character, Frequency and so on.

Then inside each combinator is a CV merger for getting the signals of each different FrameCV Graph, finally connected to the Rotaries. FrameCV itself has a LOLTH CV Dealy Splitter attached in order to rebuilt the -/+ dials for the amount the CV Frame signal gets send to the effect.

Malströms Mod B is used as an LFO to drive the position. The demo song has it beeing setup as pendulum to go back and forth on the FrameCV position. The effects right now are not dramatic, as fine tuning is needed, but the basic concept is proofed and shown. Now go wild and add some new effects and improvements :)
In this basic setup each Effect has 4 easily modulateable signals.

Cheers.
Attachments
Asychronous_FrameCV.reason.zip
(769.52 KiB) Downloaded 108 times

Bumbum

16 Jan 2017

been lurking for long but now i cannot be silent anymore! This RE is perfect, cousin of Synchronous (which probably never will be updated) and Shape.
great work Speo! UI looks really outstanding compared to other RE`s. Really fast to use compared to its "cousins".

few ideas :-) :

-adjust speed of all curves individually,also mentioned tempo mode would be nice
-adjust band amount,from for example 8 to 32 like in bv512 vocoder
-also different run mode, lets called "free" when it will run always without trigger, would be nice to per curve setting
-more cv outputs per curve,also mentioned cv output with invert
-per curve phase setting
-after these,raise the price to 49euros because thats the correct price for this RE :D

Ostermilk

07 Mar 2017

Very simple, very flexible, very nice.

zenmonkey

23 May 2017

Speo, thank you for making this RE. I've wanted non-linear macro knobs in Reason since they added the Combinator in 3.x. If you're still accepting feature requests I'd like to request the following:

1. More bands like Lectric Panda has. It doesn't have to go as high as 640, something like 64-96 would be plenty.
2. Easier method to change the curve shape. I always seem to have trouble changing the shape of the curve of a line. Either I move the endpoint, add/remove another point, or change the curve too much. It'd be nice if there was a curve knob that affected the curve of the currently selected point. Or maybe some rethinking of of the editor - I'm not sure. I just wish it was a little easier.
3. A knob to increase/decrese the value for a selected point. Sometimes when I want to move a point higher/lower I end up changing a curve of one of the lines or (worse) remove the point.
4. cut/paste and patch saving. I'd rather not have to save the devices in combinators to recall curves I've worked to create. I'd also like to work on one of the 6 curves, copy it, switch to another view, paste it and make small changes.
5. a "stepped" mode to create steppy transitions between two points: similar to the lo-fi Thor LFO waveforms.

Thanks again. :)

Marc64

23 May 2017

I might get this nifty litte RE, looks interresting.
In the mean time look at this I did with sunchronous about not free running it :)

ljekio

23 May 2017

Thanks for the bump thread, its really amazing CV tool.
As I had not noticed it before?

Redster

23 May 2017

Thanks for the bump missed this little tool its awesome! 9 Euro? OK then :)

ljekio

30 May 2017

@Speo, I have small question.
If first point of my envelope have nonzero value and last point is null, then after working out the envelope, we get the value of the first, but not the last. If this isn't a bug, then a rather strange solution, isn't it so?

p.s. oops, Im sorry, position knob can set needed value for static.

• Information