Frame CV Generator - my first RE is out now!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Speo
RE Developer

13 Jan 2017

Hey everybody!

I've been under the radar for a while. One reason for that is that I've been putting together a Rack Extension utility to help de-clutter the sequencer and bring new possibilities for intricate movement to the Rack.

FrameCV is out now: https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... generator/

If you have any questions, comments, impressions, please let me know :).
The controls are minimal, which is partly intended, and partly due to the fact that I had to finish FrameCV before my Christmas break was up. I'm open to feature suggestions though!

Cheers,
Jan.

Catblack

13 Jan 2017

Amazing. Bezier curves! An overlay with all the mods displayed! Sold!
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Despondo
Competition Winner

13 Jan 2017

Nice device. Would be good to have a sync feature so that you can sync up to the tempo.

Speo
RE Developer

13 Jan 2017

Catblack wrote:Amazing. Bezier curves! An overlay with all the mods displayed! Sold!
Thank you! :D Those are two of the features I was most excited about when coding as well.
Despondo wrote:Nice device. Would be good to have a sync feature so that you can sync up to the tempo.
On the list!

joeyluck

13 Jan 2017

Congrats on the release! Looks to be very useful! :thumbs_up:

Might be handy to have custom labeling. If there's no easy way to make it work on the front, maybe at least just the back?
I like that it would help keep things tidy in the Sequencer, and I'll know what I'm doing (most of the time) when I'm working on a new project... But I think when I revisit a project, I'll have forgotten what it's connected to and controlling. Not that we can't just hover over the CV connection to see. But it would be more immediate seeing a label :puf_smile:

Creativemind

13 Jan 2017

Nice. Loved the sidechaining, good ducking.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Catblack

13 Jan 2017

What I'd like to see is either a number overlay or the ability to see what level you are setting something at. Perhaps the sdk doesn't let you show the value at the mouse cursor (like you get with a knob) in a custom display? In that case, I'd love a knob that lets me dial in values of the selected frame. And two smaller knobs that set the before/after bezier curve points for the selected frame.

Also include in my official wishlist: Remotables. Automation too, but; One remotable to let you select between each of the frames. A remotable to turn on/off the selected frame. A remotable to set the value of each frame. Two remotables to set the curve before/after of each frame. Probably separate remotables for each frame value, each on/off and each before/after curve points. I ask for the remotables because being able to set this from a controller (and see the values) would be beyond awesome and into the realm of the truly indispensable.

I know it must have taken a long while to get it this far. This is one of those tools I'll be reaching for again and again. Thank you.

Damn.

Shokstar

13 Jan 2017

Instant buy, it´s good tool for Dubstep Music :) I´ll use it a lot in the future I guess :) Thanks for making such a handy tool like this.

A few suggestions from my side:

- Solo/Mute for each Frame Generator
- CV Invert
- CV Uni/Bipolar

Cheers
Shokstar

theshoemaker

13 Jan 2017

Shokstar wrote:Instant buy, it´s good tool for Dubstep Music :) I´ll use it a lot in the future I guess :) Thanks for making such a handy tool like this.

- CV Invert
- CV Uni/Bipolar

Cheers
Shokstar
there are so many other free tools you can use in the meantime for it. like the cva 7 cv analyzer which has the feature you request :) .. also have a look at the free rack extensions thread. Don't miss on the Jiggery ones gone free.
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

Speo
RE Developer

13 Jan 2017

Thanks so much for the quality feedback guys! I'm getting a good feeling where my priorities should be for 1.1.
Solo/Mute + Labels for Mods, Tempo Sync for Trigger, and a Value Display for value and curvatures of the current frame are at the top of the list.

Breach The Sky

13 Jan 2017

Nice device! I can see this having a big place in my workflow. I to get tired of all the clutter in the sequencer when you automate a lot.

Have you thought about adding som kind of loop function so it can be used it as a lfo?

Loque

13 Jan 2017

Congratulations to your first RE. Hopefully more will come. I will try it tomorrow.

But maybe i have some questions, just while checking out the pictures.
* Is it triggerable by note/gate? Could be usefull if combined with a synth. Maybe switchable triggermode (free/gate). There is a gate on the back, so i need to hook up another device, maybe an RPG8 to trigger it
* Beside some additional modifiers like Env-Scaling, scale, phase-shift, offset and so on, at least a Bi/Uni polar switch would be nice.
* Somekind of time-scale information in the display would be nice, also a sync mode
* I dont see a save/load area. Well, i can save them in a Combinator and inject them if needed
* Are the curves automatable? I guess not...

At this time, it looks easy to hook up a modifieable CV signal. Well done.
Reason12, Win10

Catblack

13 Jan 2017

I just want to point out that from my testing, you can set up another lfo on the 'position' cv and automate this that way. Gate will still trigger on the FrameCV if you have one hooked up also, so be careful. But because he's included the position cv in, it's really quite handy!
Attachments
FrameCV-Pulsar-Position.zip
(2.42 KiB) Downloaded 121 times

Damn.

nooomy

13 Jan 2017

Speo wrote:Hey everybody!

I've been under the radar for a while. One reason for that is that I've been putting together a Rack Extension utility to help de-clutter the sequencer and bring new possibilities for intricate movement to the Rack.

FrameCV is out now: https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... generator/

If you have any questions, comments, impressions, please let me know :).
The controls are minimal, which is partly intended, and partly due to the fact that I had to finish FrameCV before my Christmas break was up. I'm open to feature suggestions though!

Cheers,
Jan.
Now thats some really cool stuff!!!!

alex

13 Jan 2017

Great device! Simple and damn useful, I'm sold! :thumbs_up:
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

GRIFTY

13 Jan 2017

I think this thing is a no-brainer candidate for a custom envelope generator. Just add note-in activation with a small button or something like that.

Also, it begs for some bi-polar CV action. Couldn't be too hard right?

Otherwise seems dope

nooomy

13 Jan 2017

GRIFTY wrote:I think this thing is a no-brainer candidate for a custom envelope generator. Just add note-in activation with a small button or something like that.

Also, it begs for some bi-polar CV action. Couldn't be too hard right?

Otherwise seems dope
You know you can just convert it to bi-polar with the combinator?

Speo
RE Developer

13 Jan 2017

Really happy you guys are on-board with a simple device like FrameCV. It's something I've been wanting for a while myself.
Catblack wrote:I just want to point out that from my testing, you can set up another lfo on the 'position' cv and automate this that way. Gate will still trigger on the FrameCV if you have one hooked up also, so be careful. But because he's included the position cv in, it's really quite handy!
The way it's setup right now, a trigger (CV in or button) won't block changes on the Position or vice-versa. You can play around with low speeds and changing the Position knob during a run-through to get a feel for that. It's a bit funky, but I kinda like it.
GRIFTY wrote:I think this thing is a no-brainer candidate for a custom envelope generator. Just add note-in activation with a small button or something like that.
On the list for 1.1.
Loque wrote: * Is it triggerable by note/gate? Could be usefull if combined with a synth. Maybe switchable triggermode (free/gate). There is a gate on the back, so i need to hook up another device, maybe an RPG8 to trigger it
Use the Trig Gate CV in on the back. Any device that can send out CV on a note (e.g. mod env CV out) can trigger FrameCV (if you use an ENV, use short values on the decay and no release so quick successive note hits still trigger run-throughs). You can see this setup in action in the overview video!

Loque

13 Jan 2017

Great video. Thx.
Reason12, Win10

MDTerps2015

13 Jan 2017

theshoemaker wrote:
Shokstar wrote:Instant buy, it´s good tool for Dubstep Music :) I´ll use it a lot in the future I guess :) Thanks for making such a handy tool like this.

- CV Invert
- CV Uni/Bipolar

Cheers
Shokstar
there are so many other free tools you can use in the meantime for it. like the cva 7 cv analyzer which has the feature you request :) .. also have a look at the free rack extensions thread. Don't miss on the Jiggery ones gone free.
I am buying it just to support the developer. Speo has been around like forever and makes really good music. I have actually chatted with him on face book. Free this and free that, how about supporting some of the hard work and grit that goes into supporting our platform. Thanks Speo.
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

Majestik Monkey

13 Jan 2017

Congrats with your 1st RE ' Great little Device Speo ! :thumbs_up:

Taff

13 Jan 2017

You guys have an amazing ability to make me feel dumb! (Or maybe, I have an amazing ability to make me feel dumb.)

I'm sure this device is a real wonder, and worth every penny, (congrats to the designer.)

But what the hell does it actually do?

chimp_spanner

13 Jan 2017

Dude, this one almost slipped past me! Seriously good work. Buying right now.

Taff - it's basically like automation inside a rack. So rather than working in automation lanes, you draw up to 6 curves (with up to 16 stages each), and then each of those 6 curves can go to 6 destinations on one device, or maybe 1 destination on 6 devices, and you can sweep through them all using the position knob. So you could create some really cool bass sounds where moving through the position moves a filter up, the pitch up and then down, FM doing some crazy pattern, all from one device.

Taff

13 Jan 2017

Thanks C_S. I don't know if I'd use it, but it's obviously captured the imagination of many here.

joeyluck

13 Jan 2017

Taff wrote:You guys have an amazing ability to make me feel dumb! (Or maybe, I have an amazing ability to make me feel dumb.)

I'm sure this device is a real wonder, and worth every penny, (congrats to the designer.)

But what the hell does it actually do?
Watch the videos ;)

• Information