Dubstep

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
hadmyrackextended

17 Jan 2017

So is Expanse - THE - synth now for metallic dub step filth or is there another device more likely to get the noises I want, i.e. new style Dubstep womps, metallic noises etc. Virtual Riot sort of style ( Yes I know ) But I like the energy so don't judge... and besides, once i find a synth of choice I will certainly make my own style of sounds.

I did like expanse on the trial, but noticed Zero ? looks worth a try - or should I just stop pissing about and buy Expanse ?

Shokstar

17 Jan 2017

Both are doing a well job. But you can do the same Sounds like VR in Thor. Expanse is killer for that Job or FM4 also you can use JPS Harmonic Synth. Some others achieving the same result with Subtractor. So it´s up to you which synth is the right one for you :)

Majestik Monkey

17 Jan 2017

Lol - or should I just stop pissing about and buy Expanse ?

I'm pretty sure Expanse will "widen" you're pallet of Wacky Bass's & weird Womps + + + :lol:

hadmyrackextended

17 Jan 2017

Cheers bro - I know you can get all those noises from all differnt synths ( and stock ones ) I guess sometimes a new interface promotes you to 'tweak' a bit more. Having some success with fm4 but it's quite basic so im wondering if I would be missing any features that would get that extra grunge - as we've all hear expanse can do - and if so which ones the better buy ....

Zero looks an octave step up from fm4, but expanse looks another step up from that.

FLVZ

17 Jan 2017

You can makes Dubstep with any RE
PX7, Kraft (really easy to make aggressive bass patches) & Thor from my experience are great for metallic timbres.

Fluxton

17 Jan 2017

If you're going specifically for that new style of growls, I guess Expanse is probably the best choice at the moment. I personally haven't bought it yet, but during my trial period I've tried to make some of the growls and it's very good for that. And since Expanse now has something like Bend+/- modes known from Massive and Serum, I suppose you can make a pretty much spot on recreation of Virtual Riot's growls.

However as suggested by others, Thor is still a pretty good synth (check out this amazing tutorial by derocc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hvz43MNDmo).

And lastly, a little different suggestion - you should check out Vibro Wavetable Synth RE, I was able to get these sounds out of Vibro and some stock Reason effects - the project file of that song is actually included with the RE:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

17 Jan 2017

I bought FM4 during the sale and I like it so far. Maybe not the tweakiest synth but that's also why I like it. It's simple and it's very easy to make great sounding patches. But if it's more options you're after then maybe you should look into Expanse or Zero. They're both big quality synths for sure. I personally prefer Expanse over Zero. I find Expanse to be so much more intuitive to work with and at the same time the possibilities are endless.
I'd say the wavetable part of it alone would make it great for dubstep or any electronic music.

The way I see it, if you're working in Reason and you want to make modern sounding electronic music, you're going to buy Expanse sooner or later.
So like you said maybe you should "just stop pissing about and buy Expanse". :)

Unless you want to wait for Spire which apparently is coming soon. People say it's awesome. I have no idea, I haven't tried it.
But who wants to sit and wait really?

Vince-Noir-99

17 Jan 2017

Malström, Subtractor and Thor will do those sounds ))
Modulating the Vocoder set to EQ, and few bands, or running through the Bass Amp can help.
Automating a lot of stuff (LFOs mainly).
Printing to audio and chopping/stretching/pitching.

hadmyrackextended

18 Jan 2017

Cheers guys, the way my brain works is i need to hear something 'resembling' the sound i want, before adding,chopping and obliterating it with techniques. I struggle with end vision, so can lose patience quickly - which sucks. But if a synth chucks out something sounding 'along the lines' of what I want i tend to stay more patient and slowly crawl towards the vision of what I wanted to make.

Hence me asking what the better synth is - I think Expanse, all things considered is my option - but I will trial Zero first too! Just in case i get along with that as well.

hadmyrackextended

18 Jan 2017

I will look out for Spire too.

Shokstar

18 Jan 2017

Watch tutorials, that will help you.

miscend

18 Jan 2017

Maelstrom and also all the FM synths FM4/Zero/PX7 will get you there.

hadmyrackextended

18 Jan 2017

Shokstar wrote:Watch tutorials, that will help you.
I do mate. But also like to find my own way - if that makes sense - so that my sounds don't mimic other too much.

X1Lo

18 Jan 2017

Expanse all the way. Zero can make some great sounds but I found Expanse to be a lot more fun to program. It is amazing at creating a wide range of sounds but I probably created close to a hundred dubstep basses just during my trial. As soon as I can afford it I'm snatching it up!
"As I stare into the digital abyss, I will remember when the world was real."

hadmyrackextended

19 Jan 2017

Had a go with Zero last night. Cannot for the life of me see myself getting along with it.

Expanse is definitely much easier to program. I do not like the Zero interface at all.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

19 Jan 2017

hadmyrackextended wrote:Had a go with Zero last night. Cannot for the life of me see myself getting along with it.

Expanse is definitely much easier to program. I do not like the Zero interface at all.
Yep, with Expanse you get cool sounds with way less effort. You can suck at tweaking synths and still come up with something cool by just turning a knob or two.
I'm sure I'll dive into Zero some day to figure it out, but until that day it's gonna be a preset bank for me.
I do like the colors of the interface in Zero better, but the actual workflow in Expanse is so much more intuitive.

scratchnsnifff

23 Jan 2017

When the reason talk community refill is all done check out my patches made some barley alive/VR growl/womps expanse is easy to make those kinds of sounds, the first fm ratio wavetable (when you ad the saturation mod) creates an instant virtual riotish sound it's quite nice, and zero has its own benefits I honestly say get both, expanse if you want something awesome and quick and zero if you want to get lost in FM for a while hope that is a good enough perspective for ya
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

scratchnsnifff

23 Jan 2017

hadmyrackextended wrote:Had a go with Zero last night. Cannot for the life of me see myself getting along with it.

I was the same way, but after the learning curve it can be tons of fun, then again In my experience each fM synth has its own quirks

XysteR

25 Jan 2017

Literally anything with an LFO will do.

scratchnsnifff

25 Jan 2017

Hey so get expanse, now with the update you can literally get the virtual riot barley alive zomboy xcore skirllex sounds. Because expanse has a new sample upload and serum wavetable capabilities :) for heavy dubstep expanse is the king in reason well it' was just my favorite since it came out and it just keeps on giving :)

• Information