AMP is in the Shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
rcbuse
RE Developer

13 Feb 2017

AMP is a very minimal device hosting two level control elements. The first is a Voltage Controlled Amplifier, which allows for precise automation and CV control of audio attenuation. Great for drawing full range automation curves and envelopes. The second stage is an output gain adjustment allowing for -96db of attenuation to 96db of boost.

- Voltage Controlled Amplifier
- Output gain
- Long faders for precise control
- Final Gain display

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/amp/

mataya

13 Feb 2017

For a price I can see buying it for some purposes.
Just when I saw Amp, I thought maybe it's an modeled preamp/channel/summing...something like NSL, or uad preamp emulations ...
Is that too much to ask? :p

tx and good luck
M

lowpryo

13 Feb 2017

selig gain now has some friendly competition? I like the simultaneous access to VCA and output

FLVZ

13 Feb 2017

Am I correct in thinking, I could use this with the PolyModular system as an amplifier, with an envelope manipulated by something like Charlotte or Movement ?

rcbuse
RE Developer

13 Feb 2017

Flavolous wrote:Am I correct in thinking, I could use this with the PolyModular system as an amplifier, with an envelope manipulated by something like Charlotte or Movement ?
That is correct. I wanted something super minimal to use for level automation and also CV with Shape.

Abstrax

14 Feb 2017

Potentially stupid question incoming. Looked for a manual to answer it, but couldn't find one... What's the difference between the VCA fader and the output fader?

Galaxy

14 Feb 2017

I thought the point of vca faders was to group channels together for macro volume adjustments? Isn't it suppose to be able to adjust grouped channels levels by also having a direct effect on the aux send feed?

Voltage controlled amp in the modular sense, this rack is great. But? Where would you place this to act as a vca fader?

rcbuse
RE Developer

14 Feb 2017

Abstrax wrote:Potentially stupid question incoming. Looked for a manual to answer it, but couldn't find one... What's the difference between the VCA fader and the output fader?
The ranges make the difference.

VCA fader is from -inf to 0.0db, so its perfect for drawing level automation envelopes or hooking to a CV input. Just like an amplifier you would see in a synths envelope.

The Output fader is from -48db to 48db, with a doubler and db fine control. You would use this if you wanted a very specific gain change.

rcbuse
RE Developer

14 Feb 2017

Galaxy wrote:I thought the point of vca faders was to group channels together for macro volume adjustments? Isn't it suppose to be able to adjust grouped channels levels by also having a direct effect on the aux send feed?

Voltage controlled amp in the modular sense, this rack is great. But? Where would you place this to act as a vca fader?
A VCA (Voltage Controlled Amplifier) is typically the part of a synthesizer at the end of the signal chain where the envelope is used to control the final output level of the voice.

You would place it wherever you wanted to modulate the signal level.
vca-diagram.jpg
vca-diagram.jpg (57.73 KiB) Viewed 1547 times

sonicbyte

14 Feb 2017

Hi,

Sorry my ignorance and to ask this again, I understand if I use vca in a synth output, but I just don't get why while you mix you need a VCA... if I route all my guitar tracks or drum tracks to a sub-group and then use that to control gain, is not the same as VCA does ?

thanks

rcbuse
RE Developer

14 Feb 2017

sonicbyte wrote:Hi,

Sorry my ignorance and to ask this again, I understand if I use vca in a synth output, but I just don't get why while you mix you need a VCA... if I route all my guitar tracks or drum tracks to a sub-group and then use that to control gain, is not the same as VCA does ?

thanks
You wouldn't need a VCA for mixing. A VCA is more for creative sound applications like putting an envelope on a sound. Drawing the automation is easier because you get to use the full range of automation (-inf dB to 0.0 dB)
Screen Shot 2017-02-14 at 10.36.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-14 at 10.36.38 AM.png (17.66 KiB) Viewed 1466 times
Screen Shot 2017-02-14 at 10.42.18 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-14 at 10.42.18 AM.png (14.33 KiB) Viewed 1466 times
Screen Shot 2017-02-14 at 10.42.27 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-14 at 10.42.27 AM.png (14.25 KiB) Viewed 1466 times
If you wanted to automate an envelope with the SSL mixer fader, your range in the automation editor is (0 - 1000) corresponding to (-inf dB to 8.06 dB), with 0.0dB at 734, which isn't very helpful for when I want to chop up sounds.
Last edited by rcbuse on 14 Feb 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Loque

14 Feb 2017

sonicbyte wrote:Hi,

thanks
I would say, yes. But it can be handy to have a small device to adjust gain between devices in a fx chain. Especially for amps or saturation you receive different results. Not all devices have a input gain control. I just did this yesterday and lowered the gain a few times in a big chain and the result was less muddy and distorted.
Reason12, Win10

Galaxy

14 Feb 2017

rcbuse wrote:
Galaxy wrote:I thought the point of vca faders was to group channels together for macro volume adjustments? Isn't it suppose to be able to adjust grouped channels levels by also having a direct effect on the aux send feed?

A VCA (Voltage Controlled Amplifier) is typically the part of a synthesizer at the end of the signal chain where the envelope is used to control the final output level of the voice.

You would place it wherever you wanted to modulate the signal level.

vca-diagram.jpg
Ya I get that. What about using it in the mixing console sense? Think Gain does this cause of the output cv or something like that. Some other daws have vca faders that act like group faders. Something to do with relative level adjustment between channels and their auxs and from channel to channel. Can this do the same?

QVprod

14 Feb 2017

sonicbyte wrote:I understand if I use vca in a synth output, but I just don't get why while you mix you need a VCA... if I route all my guitar tracks or drum tracks to a sub-group and then use that to control gain, is not the same as VCA does ?

thanks
This is only true inside of Reason. One of the main benefits of VCA faders in other DAWs and on mixers it that it affects the send levels of the individual tracks assigned to that fader so you don't end up with ghost sends, whereas normally a group/bus channel does not. Reason's group faders have similar functionality to VCAs in this sense.

AMP on the other hand has a different intended purpose.

rcbuse
RE Developer

14 Feb 2017

Galaxy wrote: Ya I get that. What about using it in the mixing console sense? Think Gain does this cause of the output cv or something like that. Some other daws have vca faders that act like group faders. Something to do with relative level adjustment between channels and their auxs and from channel to channel. Can this do the same?
AMP really doesn't have anything for this, I think.

I developed this RE for:
1) Drawing full range automation level envelopes.
2) Using Shape to control the VCA as an audio envelope.
3) 98dB boosts of source material into filters to cause massive distortion
4) 98dB boosts of source material into fast compression to hear hidden low level sounds
5) fine control over gain to match LPM measurements for loudness normalization

Galaxy

14 Feb 2017

Ahhhh! Ok I gotcha. It's not a vca fader, it's a vca with a fader. ;)

• Information