How would you rate the Tape fx in the audiomatic RE? What is your honest opinion?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
mreese80

21 Feb 2017

I use Slate Digital VTM on everything i do. It's the best tape plugin to date imo. Is there anything out there for reason like it? And if anyone uses the audiomatic tape fx mode, how much of it do you use on a track? % wise
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Feb 2017

I don't have any other tape simulations (except in Scream4) so I can't compare it to other plugins.
Using the % knob doesn't really work on the tape setting because it sounds weird imo. Maybe it introduces phase issues or something. I don't know.
When I use it I always set it to 100% wet.

I don't use Audiomatics Tape on the whole mix but i use it quite often on individual tracks. It gives things a more midrangy feel and it's great for removing the worst digital sounding high end frequencies on some synth sounds. It can be a good alternative to using a low pass filter. The tape setting just gives things a different (warmer?) character.
I wish the % knob worked though because the effect isn't very subtle imo.

mreese80

21 Feb 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:I don't have any other tape simulations (except in Scream4) so I can't compare it to other plugins.
Using the % knob doesn't really work on the tape setting because it sounds weird imo. Maybe it introduces phase issues or something. I don't know.

I don't use Audiomatics Tape on the whole mix but i use it quite often on individual tracks. It gives things a more midrangy feel and it's great for removing the worst digital sounding high end frequencies on some synth sounds. It can be a good alternative to using a low pass filter. The tape setting just gives things a different (warmer?) character.

Ok. I'm so used to VTM. I thought 100% wet would be way to much. It sure would be nice to use vsts in reason for fx and than bounce it down to an audio file. I'm trying to do everything in reason now.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

selig
RE Developer

21 Feb 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:I don't have any other tape simulations (except in Scream4) so I can't compare it to other plugins.

The input and output level controls can be used to affect the amount of tape saturation, and the transform to affect the frequencies being affected (like tape speed affects frequency response, ala head bump etc). This is the same amount of control that actual tape gives you, btw… ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

21 Feb 2017

The lack of a fully featured (and properly emulated) virtual analog tape machine in Reason has long been a sticking point for me, especially since U-He teased releasing Satin RE right before he left (*ahem*, sorry - took an extended/indefinite hiatus) from releasing RE's. :lol:

I do use Audiomatic sometimes for a bit of color, but it just doesn't come even close to what you can do with Satin (or presumably Slate Digital VTM - which I've never tried).

Would love for an experienced dev to step up with a bang up tape emulation (Synapse Audio, I'm looking at you)! ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

selig
RE Developer

21 Feb 2017

EnochLight wrote:The lack of a fully featured (and properly emulated) virtual analog tape machine in Reason has long been a sticking point for me, especially since U-He teased releasing Satin RE right before he left (*ahem*, sorry - took an extended/indefinite hiatus) from releasing RE's. :lol:

I do use Audiomatic sometimes for a bit of color, but it just doesn't come even close to what you can do with Satin (or presumably Slate Digital VTM - which I've never tried).

Would love for an experienced dev to step up with a bang up tape emulation (Synapse Audio, I'm looking at you)! ;)
I was super excited about Satin too, would have been perfect for Reason IMO. Oh well, hopefully there will be other options.
:)

Selig Audio, LLC

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Feb 2017

selig wrote:

The input and output level controls can be used to affect the amount of tape saturation, and the transform to affect the frequencies being affected (like tape speed affects frequency response, ala head bump etc). This is the same amount of control that actual tape gives you, btw… ;)
Thanks, that's good to know. I'll try that.

mreese80

21 Feb 2017

i don't like Satin. I have the vst. Maybe i should dive back into because i always felt like there was to much going on with gui. Slate Digital is it for me. Reason needs a tape re. I wish slate would develop a vtm re.

mreese80

21 Feb 2017

selig wrote:

Thanks Selig. You just explained everything. :thumbs_up:

Exowildebeest

21 Feb 2017

selig wrote:

Wait a second - are you saying the output level control on Audiomatic in tape mode affects the sound and is not just a clean output gain? :shock:

Peter

21 Feb 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:Wait a second - are you saying the output level control on Audiomatic in tape mode affects the sound and is not just a clean output gain? :shock:
Wait a minute - what have I been missing? :think:

NekujaK

21 Feb 2017

Recently, I've started applying Audiomatic tape saturation on the master bus on some of my tracks. To my ears, it sounds better on acoustic material than electronic, but that's purely subjective. I do use the input gain to regulate the intensity of the effect (as selig pointed out), and Transform to target the affected frequencies.

I haven't tried any tape saturations VSTs, so I can't compare, but I can say that I like the Audiomatic tape better than Scream.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

Despondo
Competition Winner

21 Feb 2017

Have you tried this RE? There's some tape emulation stuff in there, but it's usually used for totally destroying audio, so maybe worth a try? Probably NOT what you are looking for. ;-)

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... ssor-no22/

selig
RE Developer

21 Feb 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:
selig wrote:

Wait a second - are you saying the output level control on Audiomatic in tape mode affects the sound and is not just a clean output gain? :shock:
I was not very clear - the INPUT affects the sound but you will most likely ALSO need to use the Output to compensate. So they both are essential to control sound, but only one actually affects the "color" or intensity of the effect.
Selig Audio, LLC

QVprod

21 Feb 2017

selig wrote:
Exowildebeest wrote:
selig wrote:

I was not very clear - the INPUT affects the sound but you will most likely ALSO need to use the Output to compensate. So they both are essential to control sound, but only one actually affects the "color" or intensity of the effect.
Good to know! I think most of us probably didn't realize this.

Pralijah

22 Feb 2017

I like Audiomatic alot! Frequently using the Tape option on individual tracks like bass, vocals etc (and sometimes on buses and master). One lerans how and when to use it. But as some others, I have not tried any VST Tape emulator yet. There is certainly room for more alternatives in this field of RE colouring effects. Quite a lot of overdrive effects, but tape saturation we need more of.
Last edited by Pralijah on 28 Feb 2019, edited 1 time in total.
Make music shake again!

EdGrip

22 Feb 2017

I suspect phase effects are going on when I turn the transform knob on a few Audiometric modes.

Karim
Competition Winner

22 Feb 2017

mreese80 wrote:I use Slate Digital VTM on everything i do. It's the best tape plugin to date imo. Is there anything out there for reason like it? And if anyone uses the audiomatic tape fx mode, how much of it do you use on a track? % wise
Too many phase issue.. That RE is pretty unusable to me.. I prefer lot more Scream4 :roll:
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3 + R12.x + IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

FLVZ

22 Feb 2017

I use an audiomatic quite frequently because of ease of use, but its nothing compared to something like Kramer's Tape vst by waves. A good quality tape emulator RE would fly off the shelves!

mreese80

22 Feb 2017

Flavolous wrote:I use an audiomatic quite frequently because of ease of use, but its nothing compared to something like Kramer's Tape vst by waves. A good quality tape emulator RE would fly off the shelves!

That's not good at all imo. Slate Digital VTM is the best tape emulation hands down. No Comparison there.

lowpryo

22 Feb 2017

I often get distracted by finding a great tape satuartion, because it feels like some "secret sauce" I'm missing that can automatically give mixes a unique and desirable quality. but I find that it never meets my needs. Audiomatic fits into that. I'll use it on individual sounds to get a little bit of dirt, but when I try to pass full busses or mixes through it to get that retro "analog" character, it doesn't really satisfy. I think that's just my own poor expecations.

I haven't tried Slate though because it requires iLok, and I really despise iLok. why do some companies think it's ok to use DRM protection that makes life less convenient for the people who actually paid? just rely on the good product to make people want to support you.

Data_Shrine

22 Feb 2017

I sometimesuse the Scream4 tape on drums, I never really played with Audiomatic. However I have a Yamaha MT4X and often puts down tracks or whole songs on cassette tape when the final mixdown is done. The effect of real tape is quite different. It's a very good 4 track, I've been told it's close to low-end Reel Tapes in terms of performance. I have no idea if its actually the case, but I love it anyhow.

selig
RE Developer

22 Feb 2017

lowpryo wrote:I often get distracted by finding a great tape satuartion, because it feels like some "secret sauce" I'm missing that can automatically give mixes a unique and desirable quality. but I find that it never meets my needs. Audiomatic fits into that. I'll use it on individual sounds to get a little bit of dirt, but when I try to pass full busses or mixes through it to get that retro "analog" character, it doesn't really satisfy. I think that's just my own poor expecations.

I haven't tried Slate though because it requires iLok, and I really despise iLok. why do some companies think it's ok to use DRM protection that makes life less convenient for the people who actually paid? just rely on the good product to make people want to support you.
This makes me think of two things.
One, that I don't call what I'm looking for "tape" saturation because I don't always like tape saturation. What I'm looking for is just good versatile saturation, which sometimes historically has sounded better to me when it's inductors/transformers etc. producing the saturation rather than tape IMO.
Two, I've never been happy with a saturation effect on the entire mix unless it was ridiculously subtle (and then I wonder if I'm really adding anything useful or not). BUT, saturation on individual channels is something I've been doing (some may say "over doing") for years now.

Selig Audio, LLC

lowpryo

22 Feb 2017

selig wrote:
lowpryo wrote:I often get distracted by finding a great tape satuartion, because it feels like some "secret sauce" I'm missing that can automatically give mixes a unique and desirable quality. but I find that it never meets my needs. Audiomatic fits into that. I'll use it on individual sounds to get a little bit of dirt, but when I try to pass full busses or mixes through it to get that retro "analog" character, it doesn't really satisfy. I think that's just my own poor expecations.

This makes me think of two things.
One, that I don't call what I'm looking for "tape" saturation because I don't always like tape saturation. What I'm looking for is just good versatile saturation, which sometimes historically has sounded better to me when it's inductors/transformers etc. producing the saturation rather than tape IMO.
Two, I've never been happy with a saturation effect on the entire mix unless it was ridiculously subtle (and then I wonder if I'm really adding anything useful or not). BUT, saturation on individual channels is something I've been doing (some may say "over doing") for years now.

well I'm glad I've been using it the same way!

I just see many people specifically describing tape saturation as being a "smooth" or "silky" kinda sound. but to me, every tape sim I use still sounds dirty & gritty to some degree, just like any distortion plugin. it's just a particular kind of dirt that I like. if that's actually the intended effect, then yes, Audomatic Tape does it well! I guess I just hate sound buzzwords haha

FLVZ

22 Feb 2017

mreese80 wrote:
Flavolous wrote:I use an audiomatic quite frequently because of ease of use, but its nothing compared to something like Kramer's Tape vst by waves. A good quality tape emulator RE would fly off the shelves!

That's not good at all imo. Slate Digital VTM is the best tape emulation hands down. No Comparison there.
I like Kramer's Tape & I like Audiomatic regardless of comparison, and if I tried SD VTM I might end up liking that too. Everyone has their tools and their settings, the whole comparison phenomena is a bit of a distraction. Its like saying Fruity Loops is the best DAW hands down....its not that Black & white my friend. :puf_smile:

• Information