Is Selig's Gain RE the best for showing the peak hold level of tracks?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
mreese80

25 Feb 2017

I've seen this a lot in videos. How would you guys rate this? Selig, give me some feedback lol
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

Loque

25 Feb 2017

Tbh, i never used it for this. For accurate measures i like Flower. There are tons of meters with different algorithm available and dont forget the build in big meter.
Reason12, Win10

AzureEyes

25 Feb 2017

Have you done the trial?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mreese80

25 Feb 2017

Loque wrote:Tbh, i never used it for this. For accurate measures i like Flower. There are tons of meters with different algorithm available and dont forget the build in big meter.
I know use the big meter all the time for peaks. I'm getting ahead of myself lol. I do get a good read out with that. I use that because the ssl mixer is to small and not as detailed. Thanks for reminding man. I start seeing things elsewhere and forget sometimes.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

mreese80

25 Feb 2017

AzureEyes wrote:Have you done the trial?

I haven't tried it. I like getting feedback sometimes before i do. I've had a problem of download trials and being to busy to try them out. Than they expire. I don't want to waste those no more.

AzureEyes

25 Feb 2017

mreese80 wrote:

I haven't tried it. I like getting feedback sometimes before i do. I've had a problem of download trials and being to busy to try them out. Than they expire. I don't want to waste those no more.
Yeah I hear you. I can say is I like it. It gets the job done

mreese80

25 Feb 2017

AzureEyes wrote:
mreese80 wrote:

Yeah I hear you. I can say is I like it. It gets the job done

ok. thanks man.

selig
RE Developer

25 Feb 2017

mreese80 wrote:I've seen this a lot in videos. How would you guys rate this? Selig, give me some feedback lol
Don't know how one could qualify a peak hold meter as "the best" or not - on one level (no pun intended) either they work or they don't! Selig Gain is designed to not only show the highest peak level of an audio signal (since there are no native Reason tools that allow you to do this, especially in the channel), but also to accurately (to 0.1 dB) adjust the gain as well (plus a handful of 'bonus' features).

I'm not that familiar with the other options - how many offer a peak hold display?

Selig Audio, LLC

mreese80

25 Feb 2017

selig wrote:
mreese80 wrote:I've seen this a lot in videos. How would you guys rate this? Selig, give me some feedback lol
Don't know how one could qualify a peak hold meter as "the best" or not - on one level (no pun intended) either they work or they don't! Selig Gain is designed to not only show the highest peak level of an audio signal (since there are no native Reason tools that allow you to do this, especially in the channel), but also to accurately (to 0.1 dB) adjust the gain as well (plus a handful of 'bonus' features).

I'm not that familiar with the other options - how many offer a peak hold display?

well cubase will hold the highest peak level of tracks. I don't use cubase at all. I seen a video on it earlier. It made me think of your device. I see it everywhere

Exowildebeest

25 Feb 2017

I rate Gain very highly, I use it all over the place to measure and adjust levels. For example before going into distortions and compressors and after them, on Mix Channels, after synths when patch designing to get the right peak level, etc. etc.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

25 Feb 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:I rate Gain very highly, I use it all over the place to measure and adjust levels. For example before going into distortions and compressors and after them, on Mix Channels, after synths when patch designing to get the right peak level, etc. etc.

Same here but really only use the Peak Hold and Mono buttons have not really used the other functionality, I do use Gain and Flowers next to each other in my monitoring chain, I prefer looking at numbers in this case rather than a meter bar going up and down...

Big thumbs for both Gain and Flowers....

WongoTheSane

25 Feb 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:... after synths when patch designing to get the right peak level, etc. etc.
Your attention to detail probably explains why your patches are so well done. I use lots of them. /OT

mreese80

25 Feb 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:I rate Gain very highly, I use it all over the place to measure and adjust levels. For example before going into distortions and compressors and after them, on Mix Channels, after synths when patch designing to get the right peak level, etc. etc.

ok. thanks for your input :lightbulb:

mreese80

25 Feb 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:

Same here but really only use the Peak Hold and Mono buttons have not really used the other functionality, I do use Gain and Flowers next to each other in my monitoring chain, I prefer looking at numbers in this case rather than a meter bar going up and down...

Big thumbs for both Gain and Flowers....
exactly. i prefer the numbers to. reasons mixer needs a few minor adjustments. thanks for your input. :thumbs_up:

O1B

25 Feb 2017

Selig Gain for 1U space and quick readouts is pretty unbeatable in Reason.
If there is Room on your Screen, consider the RE60, in Reason. With it, you can "see" freq" hands that need taming.

If you're still coming up the song/rhythm/melody/beat, it might be overkill... for mixing tasks, it's really useful.
Peak Holds. Momentary or otherwise.
Check it out:

Also, LP's Spectrum has an adjustable Falloff. (No overall level meter, that I'm aware of)

EdGrip

26 Feb 2017

I think if I were buying now, based *purely* on the UI, I'd buy Lectric Panda's AMP instead for the same sort of shenanigans. But Gain is one of those REs that once you've got it you use it all over the place all the time.

lowpryo

26 Feb 2017

my projects are totally littered with Selig Gains used for nothing but showing peak levels. it's just easier to pop in rather than solo and scroll up to the big meter or flip to the mixer. it's one of the reasons I wish Props would introduce a "favorites" list for rack extensions, so it could sit on top for easy access

Jmax

26 Feb 2017

I bought the Selig gain, love it. Then bought flower audio, although very nice I never use it. I prefer Selig gain for it's simplicity. One number is all I need to see, my ears can do the rest.

mreese80

26 Feb 2017

Jmax wrote:I bought the Selig gain, love it. Then bought flower audio, although very nice I never use it. I prefer Selig gain for it's simplicity. One number is all I need to see, my ears can do the rest.

I'm with you on that. I just need to see that number. Props should have peak read outs on the individual mixer tracks. Hell, every other daw i have does. They just smh...

mreese80

26 Feb 2017

lowpryo wrote:my projects are totally littered with Selig Gains used for nothing but showing peak levels. it's just easier to pop in rather than solo and scroll up to the big meter or flip to the mixer. it's one of the reasons I wish Props would introduce a "favorites" list for rack extensions, so it could sit on top for easy access
Props should have peak read outs on the individual mixer tracks. That's what they need to do. Add it to the mixer strips

mreese80

26 Feb 2017

O1B wrote:Selig Gain for 1U space and quick readouts is pretty unbeatable in Reason.
If there is Room on your Screen, consider the RE60, in Reason. With it, you can "see" freq" hands that need taming.

If you're still coming up the song/rhythm/melody/beat, it might be overkill... for mixing tasks, it's really useful.
Peak Holds. Momentary or otherwise.
Check it out:

Also, LP's Spectrum has an adjustable Falloff. (No overall level meter, that I'm aware of)
thanks for the advice.

Jmax

26 Feb 2017

mreese80 wrote:
Jmax wrote:I bought the Selig gain, love it. Then bought flower audio, although very nice I never use it. I prefer Selig gain for it's simplicity. One number is all I need to see, my ears can do the rest.

I'm with you on that. I just need to see that number. Props should have peak read outs on the individual mixer tracks. Hell, every other daw i have does. They just smh...
Then again, Reason isn't like most DAW's :)

I hear you, and perhaps it would be useful. I find I don't really need to know what they peak at, just my master. Most of my levels are pretty low before I finally get to the mixing stage.

mreese80

26 Feb 2017

Jmax wrote:
mreese80 wrote:

Then again, Reason isn't like most DAW's :)

I hear you, and perhaps it would be useful. I find I don't really need to know what they peak at, just my master. Most of my levels are pretty low before I finally get to the mixing stage.
You are right. It really isn't that big of a deal. I just recently started gain staging and the minute i learn something new i try to do it right. I've never gained staged that much. And when i tried i was doing it wrong. Now that i know how to properly do it in reason this is where the peaks would be helpful. I know i could solo the track and look at the master bus, but it would be easier if i could just look at the track itself for the read out. Like you said, reason isn't like other daws. It never has been. Not even close :D

• Information