Drum Synth REs?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Rook

15 Apr 2017

I've been demoing the EDS06s (catchy name). It's pretty minimal and a little quirky, but it's cool. I'll probably buy it. It makes me wonder why there haven't been more drum synth REs. There are tons of regular synths, but not very many drum focused REs in the shop. I'd love to have something like MicroTonic in the rack. Anyone else?

Jonathan10

15 Apr 2017

Hell yeah. Microtonic would work so well with Reasons workflow. Also that thing imageline makes with 10 drumb synths lined up and a sequencer.
:refill:

Oquasec

15 Apr 2017

Besides regular synths & Kong, nope.
I wouldn't say no to tremor RE though
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Loque

15 Apr 2017

What can a dedicated drum synth do, what a normal synth cant do? Tbh, i have some of them and rarely use them. Mostly i build my drum sounds, bounce each and use the samples. Or i just use samples. The synth from OchenK is fiddly and only useful for glitchy drumlike sounds.
Reason12, Win10

Oquasec

15 Apr 2017

The answer to this, is nothing lol.
But kong's are useful for the physical modeling ones.
Producer/Programmer.

Olivier

15 Apr 2017

There's Rob Papen Punch BDre. Usefull for more then kicks.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Marc64

15 Apr 2017

I wonder why not MicroTonic isn't in the rack since the creator of Malstöm is the same if I'm not misstaken?

Oquasec

15 Apr 2017

this guy's also a clown
Producer/Programmer.

teddymcw

15 Apr 2017

Marc64 wrote:I wonder why not MicroTonic isn't in the rack since the creator of Malstöm is the same if I'm not misstaken?
One sentence answer: they're too popular or they're doing too well for Reason atm.

Sure Sonic Charge, also ported or made echobode and bitspeek for Reason. Malström was long, long ago and I'm sure a big project at the time. Those guys are focusing on their hardware stuff and much bigger VST market these days. To go more in depth you'd have to know the whole Reason SDK and dev process. Idk that right now, but apparently it's not the easiest port, even if you've got the c++ or what have you DSP code for VST env and have done an RE before. Props have to show enticement through easy market win or extremely easy portability to get stuff like that in the rack.

TheMiles

15 Apr 2017

What about Ochen K's EDS06s Drum Synth ? I have it but never got warm with it... maybe someone else will?

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... rum-synth/

Marco Raaphorst

15 Apr 2017

Microtonic is cool but Malström is at least as funky for drums

Rook

15 Apr 2017

Yeah, of course regular synths are capable of drum/percussion sounds. It's just better/easier using purpose built tools for some things. For instance, snappy envelopes designs for quick punchy drum sounds.

With the sampling capability in RE now, hopefully well at least start to see some drum sampler type devices too.

Oquasec

15 Apr 2017

soooooo it is a drumsynth that is
49 waveforms

including basic sine, triangle, saw, square, and noise waves
an additional 44 wave cycles hand picked specifically for percussion synthesis.

Might cop it in the future , nice find.
Producer/Programmer.

Marco Raaphorst

15 Apr 2017

Rook wrote:Yeah, of course regular synths are capable of drum/percussion sounds. It's just better/easier using purpose built tools for some things. For instance, snappy envelopes designs for quick punchy drum sounds.

With the sampling capability in RE now, hopefully well at least start to see some drum sampler type devices too.
What is so special about drum synths? It's all about an oscillator and a noise generator imo. "snappy envelopes" and just a matter of using ADSR which any synth can give you.

Drum synths are simply limited synths.

Oquasec

15 Apr 2017

BOOM HE FIGURED IT OUT.
But that one has alotta custom ones so I congratulate him on the find.

[Wavetable or additive synths would also give you custom waveforms to use also]
Producer/Programmer.

AzureEyes

15 Apr 2017

Zero can make some very good drums. I just use conventional synths usually. Subtractor can create a good drum kit in a Combinator with some some key splits

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Benedict
Competition Winner

15 Apr 2017

I have an IDT Drum Synth but sadly can't do the scripting and GUI stuff as it is beyond me. I have had a couple of Devs show interest but in the end, they seem busy with their own RE, which is understandable as they each have their own visions and priorities and drums synths are not spoken about very often so I assume don't sell well.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Rook

16 Apr 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
Rook wrote:Yeah, of course regular synths are capable of drum/percussion sounds. It's just better/easier using purpose built tools for some things. For instance, snappy envelopes designs for quick punchy drum sounds.

What is so special about drum synths? It's all about an oscillator and a noise generator imo. "snappy envelopes" and just a matter of using ADSR which any synth can give you.

Drum synths are simply limited synths.
I use synths like Maelstrom and Subtractor for drum sounds too and will continue to. But the immediacy of a focused tool for the job, like MicroTonic is a lot of fun. It's simply a different experience, versus wiring up 8 instances of Subtractor/Thor/whatever.

Basically, I just want MicroTonic in the rack lol. Or for OchenK to come back around to EDS06s to update it's interface and capabilities :D

My comment about envelopes is that, like all filters are not the same, not all EGs are either.

Oquasec

16 Apr 2017

Tried microtonic a few years ago, not a bad one in the slightest.
Producer/Programmer.

Marco Raaphorst

16 Apr 2017

MicroTonic is capable of some unique sounds indeed. Use it all the time in Live.

satyr32

16 Apr 2017

I would love to see a dedicated synth only for drums. even if you can do a lot with "usual" synths, it is justified to have a synth that is specialized in drums. especially workflow-wise. i once had something like this on the ipad and it was amazing, intuitive and fast. do not remember the name though.

by the way there is the REPUBLIK RE. it is no drum synth, but more a percussion sample player. i still find it amazing.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

satyr32

16 Apr 2017

ohhhhh....someone should turn the Machinedrum synth engines to a rack extension. since they are not analog but digital it would be possible. now that would be awesome.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

Oquasec

16 Apr 2017

While I got into the habit of using regular synths for synth drums, I will definitely get my hands on this thing in teh future also if it's reason 8 compatible. The more modules the better :]
Producer/Programmer.

Marco Raaphorst

17 Apr 2017

there's is a little thing that's tricky when using analog synths, Thor and Subtractor and some other synth: free running oscillators. Maström doesn't have that, superb for drums and percussion.

Rook

17 Apr 2017

satyr32 wrote:ohhhhh....someone should turn the Machinedrum synth engines to a rack extension. since they are not analog but digital it would be possible. now that would be awesome.
That would be amazing! I kinda wish I had bought one when they were being cleared out for $599. Oh well. I have a little Korg ER-1 that's fun for very digital sounding percussion too. But definitely not in the same league as MachineDrum.

• Information