i think the prices of REs are going to be going up soon

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
fotizimo

01 May 2017

As someone who has only used Reason, I never really looked around the VST market too much, but each time I did, I would notice the high prices for good instruments and effects. I always wondered how "sheltered" the Reason community was from that as we were such a sandboxed environment.

Now that VSTs will be coming to Reason, I think the price of significant REs will start rising to meet the VST market. I only have Arturia's Spark2 VST, and am planning on buying Waldorf's Nave, but both of those are more expensive than any RE available in the PH market today. I dont see the RE market going away any time soon (PH has a serious amount to lose in their own development of their REs in my opinion), so I am worried about how the VST market will affect RE prices.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

darkmaer

01 May 2017

Maybe, but maybe not. The excuse has always been to combat piracy. I've been away from reason for awhile (6.5), but as far as I know reason is still good in the piracy protection area.
Which is how I see slate digital at least. The newest ilok system hasn't been pirated. They make great quality plugins and for the most part each of them are only $150 which most come with multiple things in one package. Which to me is a great value for their stuff.

Plus RE are still tied down. The great thing about VSTs is I can bring them in any VST compatible DAW making them more valuable. That is why I stopped buying RE. I don't like the rewire workflow. So my RE are stuck in reason while my VSTs aren't allowed in reason.

Now that I can bring my VSTs into reason I'll more then likely start purchasing RE again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plasticfractal

01 May 2017

If this happens due to a big increase in reason users, and is a market driven supply and demand situation, I would be more than happy to pay more. I want this platform to thrive.

Loque

01 May 2017

Depends... Thete are also good fx and synths available for free in VST market. Who wants money, he need to provide something special...
Reason12, Win10

QVprod

01 May 2017

Probably not. Ability to resale is huge for a lot of people. Unless REs become resalable, prices will probably stay where they are in order to stay competitive with VSTs. In fact there's probably a higher chance of prices going down.

avasopht
Competition Winner

01 May 2017

It's tough to say.

You'd think it would drive down RE prices due to the competition, but the prop shop provides visibility and less competition within that store.

fotizimo

01 May 2017

So I look over at pluginboutique, and as an example of a cost savings bundle, they have the fabfilter filter bundle for $740 USD (each filter goes for $200 each):

http://www.pluginboutique.com/product/2 ... Pro-Bundle

And there are only 6 filters in that bundle. Could you imagine of any developer tried to sell a bundle for $740 in the prop shop? I am looking at Waldorf's Nave, and at $170 USD that is more than any RE in the shop.

The other item I have been seeing is the gradual increase of RE prices over the last year. As someone who has to be thrifty with my RE purchases (only during sales, and only the one I want each time), it almost seems that each time a new "best RE" instrument comes out, the price rises by $10 - $20 after the sale price finishes.

I have a feeling if the RE market continues to thrive, and I see no reason it won't due to the close integrations with the core of Reason, I think we will see RE prices continue to rise to match. I think that is the reason why Props are doing this, so that they can sell VSTs in their shop.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini

talex

01 May 2017

Supply and demand. VST's and RE's will always meet supply needs. The addition of VST to Reason should increase demand.
To keep demand up I expect RE pricing will be consistent with current pricing or come down a bit. Plus they have also created
more competition for the RE product with the VST upgrade.

Alkua

01 May 2017

I don't think so. RE will be cheaper to compete or you will see more HOT Sales. VSTs you can re-sale it, REs not. Now, VSTs work on all DAWs, REs just Reason. If you want to buy Predator VST $149 (you can use it anywhere, including. Re-sale option) or RE $149 (use it just in Reason, No Re-sale). Which one you choose?

The same situation but VST $149, RE $75, I can think about it.

pjeudy

01 May 2017

fotizimo wrote: And there are only 6 filters in that bundle. Could you imagine of any developer tried to sell a bundle for $740 in the prop shop? .
No need to imagine, right now you can get a single bundle device of 3 for $349 in the shop? that kind of high pricing was headed towards the shop regardless.

The thing is this... it's pretty easy to point at the most expensive item, but there are equally good and less expensive plugins out there. And also keep in mind that if you can hold on for a sale....then that's when you can get those expensive plugins bundles at a much lower price.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Faastwalker

01 May 2017

Some interesting thoughts on this. I was thinking that prices would be driven down & RE's future would be in doubt. But it's hard to say I guess. There are a lot of variables here. I guess we will just have to wait & see. I had serious concerns about the future of the RE format before I'd seriously considered the effect of VST support in Reason on RE prices!

zeebot

01 May 2017

I can possibly see new users from VST land jumping on the rigs when they go on sale because you get so much stuff for the price. Thinking on it props are being smart not only by opening up reason to VSTs but also attracting new customers but also VST developers who might see the benefits of a fully integrated rack version for those users that don't want to use the standalone shell/windowed version.
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

kitekrazy

01 May 2017

fotizimo wrote:As someone who has only used Reason, I never really looked around the VST market too much, but each time I did, I would notice the high prices for good instruments and effects. I always wondered how "sheltered" the Reason community was from that as we were such a sandboxed environment.

Now that VSTs will be coming to Reason, I think the price of significant REs will start rising to meet the VST market. I only have Arturia's Spark2 VST, and am planning on buying Waldorf's Nave, but both of those are more expensive than any RE available in the PH market today. I dont see the RE market going away any time soon (PH has a serious amount to lose in their own development of their REs in my opinion), so I am worried about how the VST market will affect RE prices.
I think they will be more competitive. I still think Props should make VSTs.

Faastwalker

02 May 2017

zeebot wrote:I can possibly see new users from VST land jumping on the rigs when they go on sale because you get so much stuff for the price.
Looking at the general consensus on somewhere like KVR, and I admit this is probably not the best barometer for general feeling towards the Reason camp, the view seems to be, 'About time, RE's are crap & Reason users are about to get a wake up call into what they have been missing', etc, etc. This is in stark contrast to Reason users views on RE's. I see the way RE's work & integrate in Reason as being far, far superior to the way VST's work in ANY DAW I've ever used, which is a huge part of the appeal. Also the way the Shop works is a big plus. But all of the positives we see appear to be lost outside of the Reason camp. I think Reason is isolated enough, up until now, that this is not surprising at all. Maybe VST users that give Reason a go will be pleasantly surprised by what they find. But outside of Reason people don't seem as receptive to RE as we are to VST. Not by a long shot!

zeebot

02 May 2017

Faastwalker wrote:
zeebot wrote:I can possibly see new users from VST land jumping on the rigs when they go on sale because you get so much stuff for the price.
Looking at the general consensus on somewhere like KVR, and I admit this is probably not the best barometer for general feeling towards the Reason camp, the view seems to be, 'About time, RE's are crap & Reason users are about to get a wake up call into what they have been missing', etc, etc. This is in stark contrast to Reason users views on RE's. I see the way RE's work & integrate in Reason as being far, far superior to the way VST's work in ANY DAW I've ever used, which is a huge part of the appeal. Also the way the Shop works is a big plus. But all of the positives we see appear to be lost outside of the Reason camp. I think Reason is isolated enough, up until now, that this is not surprising at all. Maybe VST users that give Reason a go will be pleasantly surprised by what they find. But outside of Reason people don't seem as receptive to RE as we are to VST. Not by a long shot!
Seems they do not grasp the power of CV and using a modular rack. I never quite understood people asking for reverbs and delays on RE synths when you can plug an absolute ton of them into the chain. I think those that have never used or have played a little with Reason are the ones who are going to get the wake up call of what a pain in the ass most VSTs actually are to use.
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

RequiemMachine

02 May 2017

Another thing to note about VST prices is the sad reality that piracy does affect the price in some cases.
Reason+ / Ableton Live / VCV Rack 2 pro
Producer/Artist of Sasquatch Cloaking Technology
Musican ~ Illustrator ~ Professional Napper

Oquasec

02 May 2017

One of the many reason I stuck to reason.
I almost forgot about dealing with plugin folders for shit until you reminded me lol.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

fotizimo

02 May 2017

In my opinion, the cost of some of the higher VST instruments and REs is more in perceived value than actual "supply and demand". A lot of times some developers will want their product to appear to be of higher value, and will price their product in the higher end of the market to show this. If the highest RE right now is in the $120 - $140 range, but the same top end of the VST market is $200+, then I think we will see that the REs will work their way up, as the RE market will have no pressure on bringing down VST prices. If Propellerheads start selling VSTs in their shop, they will need to do so in such a way as to match other market prices (they can't sell VSTs for cheaper prices matching the current cheaper RE prices, when everywhere else sells the same VST for more).

Due to this, I think we will see RE prices creep and create a new "perceived top value price" based on the perceived top instruments prices elsewhere in other marketplaces. But this is just my two cents, which is all I have left to pay for new REs.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini

ejanuska

03 May 2017

Assuming a new influx of users after the 9.5 release, the purchases of REs should increase. Supply and demand doesn't mean squat since software can be downloaded infinitely. It's priced by market worth. A RE dev would be foolish to raise the price of existing REs just because there are more customers, at least not without updating it.
Raising prices to match comparable VSTs doesn't make sense either. A VST is seen as a better product by some due to its portability and other factors. As we know, REs have their benefits, but raising prices will only send shoppers to VSTs. Not the desired outcome for RE developers.

SA Studio

03 May 2017

zeebot wrote:
Faastwalker wrote:
Seems they do not grasp the power of CV and using a modular rack. I never quite understood people asking for reverbs and delays on RE synths when you can plug an absolute ton of them into the chain. I think those that have never used or have played a little with Reason are the ones who are going to get the wake up call of what a pain in the ass most VSTs actually are to use.

How are VST's harder to use than an RE?

scratchnsnifff

03 May 2017

Hmm I'm not sure if they would go up in price, I feel like lower prices would make more sense as it would make rack extensions that much more practical, vsts are awesome and all but I really don't see myself paying 500$ for something as huge as omnisphere or anything over 200 for that matter, if people come back to reason and see the cheaper tools that still do the trick I think that's enticing enough to give REs a shot over their vst counterparts, either way it goes. Long live rack extensions :)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

tumar

03 May 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:Hmm I'm not sure if they would go up in price, I feel like lower prices would make more sense as it would make rack extensions that much more practical, vsts are awesome and all but I really don't see myself paying 500$ for something as huge as omnisphere or anything over 200 for that matter, if people come back to reason and see the cheaper tools that still do the trick I think that's enticing enough to give REs a shot over their vst counterparts, either way it goes. Long live rack extensions :)
There is one thing more: you can resale VST. I purchased many VST plugins on kvr market or ebay; never paid full price.

sdst
Competition Winner

03 May 2017

Now that VSTs will be coming to Reason, I think the price of significant REs will start rising
It would be like committing harakiri

There are very good vst free Even in the CM magazine
Last edited by sdst on 03 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.

fieldframe
RE Developer

03 May 2017

fotizimo wrote:In my opinion, the cost of some of the higher VST instruments and REs is more in perceived value than actual "supply and demand". A lot of times some developers will want their product to appear to be of higher value, and will price their product in the higher end of the market to show this. If the highest RE right now is in the $120 - $140 range, but the same top end of the VST market is $200+, then I think we will see that the REs will work their way up, as the RE market will have no pressure on bringing down VST prices. If Propellerheads start selling VSTs in their shop, they will need to do so in such a way as to match other market prices (they can't sell VSTs for cheaper prices matching the current cheaper RE prices, when everywhere else sells the same VST for more).

Due to this, I think we will see RE prices creep and create a new "perceived top value price" based on the perceived top instruments prices elsewhere in other marketplaces. But this is just my two cents, which is all I have left to pay for new REs.
Ultimately, the prices in any marketplace come down to one thing: What the market will bear, i.e. what buyers are willing to pay. So a developer might price a piece of software at a premium in order to establish it as a "high end" product, but then it's up to the buyers to determine if that was the right price.

If the software sells well, the developer set the price right. If it sells poorly, the price was probably too high and you'll likely see them cut the price.

For an example, look at Reason versus Reason Essentials. Reason always was, for as long as I can remember, priced at USD $449 (MSRP). That price stability means Propellerhead was satisfied with how well it was selling at that price (although the current $400 price implies a slight correction for increasing competition in the DAW market). But then take Reason Essentials: It debuted at $299, and was later cut by 2/3 to $99, then again to $69. Propellerhead had clearly overestimated the price the market would bear for an entry-level version of Reason.

ArcoZ

03 May 2017

The prices of RE will go down soon, because of simple market laws. Anyone who claims they will go up is an idiot, who does not understand the market.

• Information