Mixing in Reason

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
dperez

05 May 2017

I'm trying to learn more about mixing and mastering tracks in Reason. I'm just wondering, which EQ and compressors work better? The ones on the SSL mixer? Or do plugins like the Mclass, Softube Fet, and GQ-7 work just fine? Or does it even really matter...Thanks! :thumbs_up: :D

Loque

05 May 2017

I think there is "no better", its a matter of taste what works best to get the desired results. I like C1-L1, but i would wait for VST support than you can get Molot for free and its the same. C670 and SSL are easy and work good. FET is for special purposes. Kratos is a very good maximizer and on sale atm. GQ-7, MP5 and TubeTech are very good EQs for mastering, but wait for VST - you can get tons of EQs.
Reason12, Win10

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 May 2017

I have no experience with VST plugins except for Ozone.
But as far as mixing with rack extensions my favorites are GQ-7, FRG-EEE Equalizer and FRG-4RE Compressor. I use the FRG ones a lot on drums.
I find all three of them to be DSP friendly as well which is a bonus.

Don't forget Saturation Knob (for free) if you haven't got it already.

Marco Raaphorst

05 May 2017

Keep it simple. The SSL mixer is enough for creating superb sounding mixes.

If I mix something no one is able to tell if it was mixed by "just" the SSL or some super expensive plugins. No one.

Loque

05 May 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:I have no experience with VST plugins except for Ozone.
But as far as mixing with rack extensions my favorites are GQ-7, FRG-EEE Equalizer and FRG-4RE Compressor. I use the FRG ones a lot on drums.

FRG compressor can produces equivalent results like FET on high settings, but on a much lower price. Very good compressor too, idd.
Reason12, Win10

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 May 2017

Loque wrote:
TritoneAddiction wrote:I have no experience with VST plugins except for Ozone.

FRG compressor can produces equivalent results like FET on high settings, but on a much lower price. Very good compressor too, idd.
I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. To my ear they have completely different characters. Having said that I use FRG way more often, so it's not a higher price = better sound thing. If I could only pick one of them I'd still go for FRG over FET.

In the end I wouldn't trust any of our opinions, I would try them out myself. It's more time consuming for sure but that has been the only way that has worked for me.

QVprod

05 May 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:Keep it simple. The SSL mixer is enough for creating superb sounding mixes.

If I mix something no one is able to tell if it was mixed by "just" the SSL or some super expensive plugins. No one.
Agreed here. Let's not confuse the OP who's new to mixing with technical debates. Between the Mclass and the SSL, you have everything you need to get a good mix in Reason. Everything else is preference.

RequiemMachine

05 May 2017

I would recommend using the built in stuff enough to figure out if its enough for you before dip into the RE and/or VST pools. While using the built in stuff you'll begin to see what is or isn't there for your own workflow...then you can try to fill in any perceived gaps in your own workflow with plugins that do what is "missing" for you.

Frankly, we're all going to have our own preferences and ideas of what is best....but that really only applies to our own workflows. Everything is good for someone. Me personally, I mostly use the built in SSL stuff along with the FXpansion comps. Then in my master I tend to use MP5, GQ-7 and Ozone Maximizer.

That'll probably change as I start to combine my VST and Reason workflows in 9.5 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Reason+ / Ableton Live / VCV Rack 2 pro
Producer/Artist of Sasquatch Cloaking Technology
Musican ~ Illustrator ~ Professional Napper

Edouardo

05 May 2017

I actually do all my mixing in Reason, and export, and then I master outside with Ozone.

Mastering:
I could master inside with Ozone maximiser, a multiband compressor (there is an RE for that but I do not know if it's good - I would actually use the FET compressor after having separated the bands with the M-class stereo imager), a good reverb (TSAR 1) and a Trident EQ. I woudl set them up in that order: EQ - Compressor - Reverb - Maximiser

Mixing:
Not mastering in Reason forces me to get a really good sounding mix first, before the mastering. I use Trident for rough Equing and color and ReQ131 for surgical touches. I also use a lot of frequency selective sidechain compression for the spectral mix.

I made a video course where I discuss mixing in Reason. I think you will enjoy a video of this course that describe the mixing process in our favorite DAW. Here it is:
Reason Tutorial Producer: https://youtu.be/_oMa1Q44CRA
Music Producer & Composer - http://www.synaptic-machines.com/
Music Catalog: https://soundcloud.com/synaptic-machines

:reason: :PUF_balance: :record: :re: :refill: :D :D :D

slightlyprog

05 May 2017

As other have touched on, I'd say to first work with the stuff that comes with Reason until you find something that you're just not able to do without an additional RE. It depends so much on the type of music you do, if it's instrumental or has vocals etc.

When I first decided to move over to working entirely in Reason I had to find that set of devices and techniques that would do what I wanted and also feel out just what was already there and what might be lacking. I bought lots of reverbs, for example, but now I end up using mostly the RV7000 with different impulses. But it's such a personal preference thing. The mixing / mastering rig is very good value if you want to buy stuff :-)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

06 May 2017

I do agree with people here that starting off with the stock devices is a good place to start. Learn how these tools really well so that you have some sort of reference once you do try other stuff out. If you're new to mixing there's a big chance you won't be able to tell the difference between all the stuff anyway. Many times how you use a device is far more important than what you use.

But I'll be honest, if I would buy just one mixing RE that would be GQ-7. Only because I personally really dislike the MClass EQ. GQ-7 is such a versataile EQ and a device like this should be included in Reason from the start. It comes with everything you need EQ/filter wise. I'm sure some people will disagree, but Mclass EQ is crap compared to it. It's so much easier to make something sound good with GQ-7 imo.

• Information