What is your go-to vocal reverb(s)?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
mbfrancis

27 Jun 2017

I'm wondering what everyone is using for vocal reverb, whether stock or RE?
What device and what patch and what style of music?
What do you use for electronic stuff vs. intimate/acoustic stuff vs. rock/indie stuff?

Thanks in advance!
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Jun 2017

Admittedly I don't use many natural instruments in music, but when I do I found Softubes TSAR-1 Reverb to be pretty good. I remember it worked great on strings and other orchestral instruments, much better then my other reverb devices in Reason. Sounded much more realistic and "better".
It probably works pretty good on vocals also.

That's all I got for you I'm afraid. But maybe that's a good place to start.

mbfrancis

27 Jun 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
27 Jun 2017
Admittedly I don't use many natural instruments in music, but when I do I found Softubes TSAR-1 Reverb to be pretty good. I remember it worked great on strings and other orchestral instruments, much better then my other reverb devices in Reason. Sounded much more realistic and "better".
Cool, thanks, yeah that's one I have and am using (trying).
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

aeox
Competition Winner

27 Jun 2017

Synapse DR-1 Deep Reverb for a lush reverb on pads and chords( and vocals). my favorite reverb by far.

i got TSAR-1R Reverb in the Mix and Mastering bundle and have found a few uses for it. such as putting the decay as low as possible and a 3% dry/wet, on drums and synths to make them sound a little less "fake"

RV7000 for convolution reverb.

i try not to use over 10% dry/wet mix on any reverb unless i particularly want to use the reverb tail as a effect

mbfrancis

28 Jun 2017

aeox wrote:
27 Jun 2017
Synapse DR-1 Deep Reverb for a lush reverb on pads and chords( and vocals). my favorite reverb by far.

i got TSAR-1R Reverb in the Mix and Mastering bundle and have found a few uses for it. such as putting the decay as low as possible and a 3% dry/wet, on drums and synths to make them sound a little less "fake"

RV7000 for convolution reverb.

i try not to use over 10% dry/wet mix on any reverb unless i particularly want to use the reverb tail as a effect
Thanks. Hoping to get actual patches from people - there 100s of convolutions in the RV7000. Maybe I should post this in General?

Rectro

28 Jun 2017

TSAR-1R all the way, it really is worth every penny.

£35 here http://www.pluginboutique.com/

Dan

selig
RE Developer

29 Jun 2017

I use two approaches to vocal reverb. One, based on the Lexicon family, is the thicker approach when you need to fill space. I use the RV-7000 Hall (room 4) as a starting point, often using a larger size than the default. The other, based on a more transparent approach like TC Electronics for when you don't want to take up too much space, and I use the TSAR series (usually the big one) or the Fiedler Audio 480 RE. For a more 'vintage' approach I'll go with a nice plate reverb, often with a touch of pre-delay instead of a longer decay time.

The actual settings vary so much from song to song I couldn't post one preset for all situations.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

mbfrancis

29 Jun 2017

selig wrote:
29 Jun 2017
I use two approaches to vocal reverb. One, based on the Lexicon family, is the thicker approach when you need to fill space. I use the RV-7000 Hall (room 4) as a starting point, often using a larger size than the default. The other, based on a more transparent approach like TC Electronics for when you don't want to take up too much space, and I use the TSAR series (usually the big one) or the Fiedler Audio 480 RE. For a more 'vintage' approach I'll go with a nice plate reverb, often with a touch of pre-delay instead of a longer decay time.

The actual settings vary so much from song to song I couldn't post one preset for all situations.
Hey Selig--
Thanks so much, this is incredibly useful - much appreciated. FYI I used TSAR for my last track (below), but I usually end up sending the vocal to a global reverb (I de-essed the send). I always forget pre-delay, which makes a huge difference. Thinking out loud - you could create a parallel track for your lead vocal, delay and de-ess that, and send *that* to the main reverb. Hmmm.

Thanks again!

EdGrip

30 Jun 2017

I've been demoing all the Valhalla reverbs. They are gorgeous.

challism

02 Jul 2017

I'm a big fan of the stock RV-7 digital reverb half-rack device. Bwah ha ha ha ha!! I couldn't keep a straight face any longer than that.

Actually, the RV7000MK2 is an excellent reverb with the convolution modeling. I love it. I'm also a fan of Synapse DR-1. Softube's TSAR is great, but it is so CPU hungry, I don't use it much. I recently acquired Rob Papen's RPVerb and it's a lot of fun (envelopes!)and a great sounding reverb, but I haven't yet tried it on vocals. Don't forget you can run audio thru some synths and use their reverb. I love using Revival as an effects unit; it's got some amazing fx. Antidote is another, and the reverb is supposedly the same as DR-1.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

EdGrip

02 Jul 2017

Valhalla Vintage Verb is basically DR-1 turned up to 11. It's the one I'm leaning towards most, although Shimmer is a specific effect that I don't otherwise have from any other device.

EdGrip

02 Jul 2017

DR-1 has been my favourite reverb up til now, and is send effect #1 on my default.

mbfrancis

02 Jul 2017

Thanks, everyone. Yeah, using the Tsar for now, great tips all around.

ejanuska

03 Jul 2017

I use the RV7000. I have a template with a plate reverb. I don't even know which patch and I rarely adjust anything on it. Its setup as a send effect, sometimes I'll route the output side to a mix channel. I guess I'm trying to say I don't put a whole lot of effort into it unless I have to. Turn it up, sounds bad? Turn it down. There is so much other work to do. You can spend days choosing a plug-in, then a patch and then tweeking just for vocal reverbs. Do that for every instrument, every track? I just slap something on it and move on, who has that much time?
I'm no pro but I can't believe in that world engineers spend more then a few minutes selecting a reverb and moving on.
If you are not a pro, like me, with a job and family, I sure don't have the time

riemac

03 Jul 2017

EdGrip wrote:
02 Jul 2017
Valhalla Vintage Verb is basically DR-1 turned up to 11. It's the one I'm leaning towards most, although Shimmer is a specific effect that I don't otherwise have from any other device.
Just like me, up till now DR-1 was my goto send reverb. The first VST I bought after 9.5 has been released was Valhalla vintage verb. It has a very similar soundcharacter to DR-1 but sounds better, has more control and is lighter on the CPU.

Wickline

04 Jul 2017

RV7000 guitar cave or treetops with some adjustments cause both of those are messy and get out of hand quick. Also use 2 for a stereo setup with some mid-side processing.
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

doctecazoid

06 Jul 2017

It all depends on the song context, different reverbs for different feels, I never rely on a single specific reverb device for vocals.

One thing I have learned over the years with reverb is this: long, big sounding wet reverbs tend to impart a sense of psychological/emotional distance between performer and listener, while short tight sounding dry reverbs impart a greater sense of intimacy between performer and listener. Thus, when using reverb on vocals, take into account the lyric content and choose the reverb settings and dry/wet mix that best complements the context of the lyrics.

selig
RE Developer

08 Jul 2017

doctecazoid wrote:It all depends on the song context, different reverbs for different feels, I never rely on a single specific reverb device for vocals.

One thing I have learned over the years with reverb is this: long, big sounding wet reverbs tend to impart a sense of psychological/emotional distance between performer and listener, while short tight sounding dry reverbs impart a greater sense of intimacy between performer and listener. Thus, when using reverb on vocals, take into account the lyric content and choose the reverb settings and dry/wet mix that best complements the context of the lyrics.
Sometimes I will take this direction 'literally' for a song where it may apply. Here's a totally obvious (too obvious?) example: (starting just before 1:00)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

WeLoveYouToo

09 Jul 2017

some of the IR's in RV7000 are quite good.
tsar is good to widen the sound, but not as a coloration for vocals.
the valhalla reverbs, specifically the plates, are my go-to reverbs for vocals.
also i demo'd redline reverb once by 112 db audio and it is amazing for vocals

mbfrancis

09 Jul 2017

This is great - appreciate all the specific suggestions.

EdGrip

10 Jul 2017

After much testing, I bought the Valhalla VintageVerb yesterday. That Lexicon sound really is my jam.
BUT, there's lots of overlap in usefulness and versatility between their reverbs, and all of them can go really big, cavernous, long and strange with various dark/light/lo-fi modes - or provide some short room ambience.

BTW, try Reverb Solo - it's hardly the most tweakable reverb going, but it might be just what you need, and it's free. https://reverb.com/software/effects/aco ... everb-solo

mbfrancis

10 Jul 2017

Cool, thanks, that one knob looks cool. I'll have to get R9.5 first!

So I actually tried out what I brainstormed above and it works great BTW: If you have a great room reverb you like as a send and you want to use if for the lead vocal, too, 1) create a parallel track of the vocal, 2) throw another de-esser on it to obliterate the sibilance, 3) delay it by 50ms, and 4) send *that* to the room reverb. The vocal is in the same space but the articulation is clear and without loud esses.

KIKBAK1

15 Jul 2017

I've been using the RV-7 lately on vocals. Sounds Great!!
mbfrancis wrote:
27 Jun 2017
I'm wondering what everyone is using for vocal reverb, whether stock or RE?
What device and what patch and what style of music?
What do you use for electronic stuff vs. intimate/acoustic stuff vs. rock/indie stuff?

Thanks in advance!
KIKBAK1.com

dustmoses

26 Dec 2017

My go to lately has been the patch "vox stay clear" from rv7000mkii factory bank download as a send. I always dial the decay back and sometimes mess with high damp and high eq, I don't find I need to get under the hood with this patch usually.

• Information