Patches in Synthetic Rig 2 Refill don't recognize Predator

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
mbfrancis

09 Jul 2017

Patches in Synthetic Rig 2 Refill don't recognize Predator - Predator is in the Synthetic Rig 2. I have it. Anyone else have this issue?

Example:
J Chris Griffin > Combinator Patches > Arps and Sequences > Arpeggiated Trancegate (patch)

Running 8.3 on a W7 PC.

Where do i report this?

EDIT: figured how to send support an email - we'll see what they say.

EDIT #2: It looks like Predator doesn't recognize the Predator patches in the Refill. Huh.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

WongoTheSane

10 Jul 2017

I have 9.5 so I updated Predator to the latest version (1.0.18) which supports SDK 2.5, and therefore isn't compatible with 8.3 anymore. When launching 8.3, I don't even see Predator in the list of instruments (and the "Arpeggiated Trancegate" appears with the "missing device" placeholder). On 9.5, it works as expected. As you're still on 8.3, I thought the Shop would prevent you from upgrading a RE to an incompatible version, but that's not the case apparently? Is it possible that you have another setup with 9.5, or that you trialed it and that the Shop allowed you to upgrade Predator at that time?

I'm asking this because it might be possible that the Shop memorizes the latest version you have (in order to sent you the correct version of each device), in which case it might be possible for PH to manually edit their DB to indicate you're on 8.3 and not 9.x. You could then delete the current Predator version from the Authorizer and re-download the previous version. Maybe worth a try?

mbfrancis

10 Jul 2017

Thanks for the thorough response.
To be clear, Predator is loaded and working for me -- i.e. I can insert it and use it -- so I assume the Shop installed the previous version because it saw I have 8.3.

Maybe they updated the Refill so it works w/ the Predator update but not the previous?

Thanks again.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

WongoTheSane

10 Jul 2017

That could very well be the case. Would you mind calculating the MD5 of your ReFill? (awfully sorry, I don't know how well you're versed in these things, so don't take the following instruction as patronizing!)

- Go to http://onlinemd5.com
- Drop the ReFill on the large "Click to select a file, or drag and drop it here( max: 4GB )" box
- It will show the resulting MD5 in the "File Checksum" box. Copy and paste it here (it doesn't send the actual file on the Internet, it's calculated locally).

Mine is 80F066B33210145DCB09DE56A9910051. If yours is different, your hypothesis is probably correct (and we can take it from there).

mbfrancis

10 Jul 2017

Sure, I cant do it until tonight (California time), though - thanks for your help.

mbfrancis

10 Jul 2017

It says: 80F066B33210145DCB09DE56A9910051 - looks the same.

mbfrancis

11 Jul 2017

Also doesn't work with Redominator

WongoTheSane

11 Jul 2017

That's weird, it means they haven't updated it. Even weirder: the combis with ReDominator DO work here, it's only Predator that doesn't.

What do you get, the "device is missing and will be replaced by a placeholder, click to view in the shop" dialog? Or is it something else?

mbfrancis

11 Jul 2017

Tech support told me to update all my REs and try again, and that I should be running Predator 1.0.18. I did re-sync, and Redominator updated, but not Predator (I'm running 1.0.9). I assume I cannot update because I am on R8.3.

Redominator now works as it should. Predator does not.

So it appears patches that include REs updated for the SDK (i.e. they need R9) do not even recognize older versions of those devices when opened in R8. It makes sense, but it seems like they should call it out on the product page here: https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... -2-refill/. All is says is that I need R8.

The reason this is a big deal is that the Patches that I *can* get to in the refill are some of the most beautiful, lush, intense patches I have played on any device, any refill, any sound set within Reason. Just absolutely wonderful programming. So I'm bummed I'm missing out on the ones with Predator.

Thanks again.

jonheal

11 Jul 2017

Device version numbers are hard-coded somewhere in the patches??
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

mbfrancis

12 Jul 2017

jonheal wrote:
11 Jul 2017
It appears so, or something like that.

WongoTheSane

12 Jul 2017

jonheal wrote:
11 Jul 2017
Yes, they are. If you open a .repatch file with a text editor, you'll see something like this:
version.PNG
version.PNG (15.4 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
mbfrancis wrote:
11 Jul 2017
Tech support told me to update all my REs and try again, and that I should be running Predator 1.0.18. I did re-sync, and Redominator updated, but not Predator (I'm running 1.0.9). I assume I cannot update because I am on R8.3.

Redominator now works as it should. Predator does not.

So it appears patches that include REs updated for the SDK (i.e. they need R9) do not even recognize older versions of those devices when opened in R8. It makes sense, but it seems like they should call it out on the product page here: https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... -2-refill/. All is says is that I need R8.

The reason this is a big deal is that the Patches that I *can* get to in the refill are some of the most beautiful, lush, intense patches I have played on any device, any refill, any sound set within Reason. Just absolutely wonderful programming. So I'm bummed I'm missing out on the ones with Predator.

Thanks again.
Using the text file trick above, I checked the cmb patch: it requires v1.0.15 of Predator, which was created way before SDK 2.5. Unfortunately, I can't find when it was released exactly, but as the ReFill dates back to March 2016, so it should be compatible with 8.3 (R9.0 was released in June 2016). I'm wondering whether there's a glitch in PH's server where they consider that the last "playable" version of Predator on R8.3 is 1.0.9 when in fact it's 1.0.15 (last version before the SDK 2.5 update), which you should be able to download.

I agree that J. Chris Griffin's patches are absolutely beautiful, and you're definitely missing out on them :(

Maybe you could write to Rob Papen's support explaining this? I think that they might have more chances fixing this together with PH than you would have. Bear in mind though that not having the exact release date of Predator 1.0.15 means that I may be wrong! If someone knows that release date and wants to chime in, that would settle the matter...

mbfrancis

12 Jul 2017

Thanks for digging into this - I'll reach out to Rob Papen, although I don;t know if there's a way to update outside of the Prop store?

JacobiusWrex

13 Jul 2017

I Have the same issue, I bought 8 now am current at 9.5, bought the synthetic rig, the predator always works alone, but not when loading the patches designed in combinator for it

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

WongoTheSane

13 Jul 2017

mbfrancis wrote:
12 Jul 2017
Thanks for digging into this - I'll reach out to Rob Papen, although I don;t know if there's a way to update outside of the Prop store?
I doubt there is; I was rather angling for the "update the PH server so that 8.3 users can update to Predator 1.0.15 instead of 1.0.8". I mean, the ReFill itself was probably made with Reason 8.3 and Predator 1.0.15 in March 2016, so there should be no reason why you couldn't update to 1.0.15 yourself...

WongoTheSane

13 Jul 2017

JacobiusWrex wrote:
13 Jul 2017
I Have the same issue, I bought 8 now am current at 9.5, bought the synthetic rig, the predator always works alone, but not when loading the patches designed in combinator for it

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
That might be slightly different. If you update Predator to the latest version (which you can do through your Account Page on PH's website), it should be work (if my assumption that you probably have a version earlier that 1.0.15 is correct). Can you try and report?

• Information