Noxious for nine dollars!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Faastwalker

29 Aug 2017

Seems like a no brainer for $9. But I'm not short of synths in Reason these days so thought I'd hit the TRY button in spite of the ridiculously low & generous price. I liked it. I wasn't blown away but there were some really nice sounds in the preset bank. I spent a bit of time starting from a default patch & wasn't particularly drawn in to the programming. It's easy to tweak but results were all over the place. Then I started to think, 'do I really need this, even with the sale price?'. Have I already got the sounds covered?

In the past I've jumped at such offers & then rarely, if ever, returned to the particular RE. On the other hand I really like Zvork & feel like I should be doing my bit to support them (I've purchased most of their RE's). With a good amount of RE's available for Reason, and now with VST support, do we need to be buying RE's just because they are cheap or even free? Or am I just being a tight arse?! My feeling now is that I don't need to obtain an RE, regardless of price, unless it's something I absolutely need & will get some mileage out of. Otherwise all it's doing is making my browser list longer!

What are people's thought on this? BTW I'm only using Noxious as an example because I know it's a well regarded synth, people love Zvork's RE's & the price in the sale is extremely generous.

bxbrkrz

29 Aug 2017

Faastwalker wrote:
29 Aug 2017
Seems like a no brainer for $9. But I'm not short of synths in Reason these days so thought I'd hit the TRY button in spite of the ridiculously low & generous price. I liked it. I wasn't blown away but there were some really nice sounds in the preset bank. I spent a bit of time starting from a default patch & wasn't particularly drawn in to the programming. It's easy to tweak but results were all over the place. Then I started to think, 'do I really need this, even with the sale price?'. Have I already got the sounds covered?

In the past I've jumped at such offers & then rarely, if ever, returned to the particular RE. On the other hand I really like Zvork & feel like I should be doing my bit to support them (I've purchased most of their RE's). With a good amount of RE's available for Reason, and now with VST support, do we need to be buying RE's just because they are cheap or even free? Or am I just being a tight arse?! My feeling now is that I don't need to obtain an RE, regardless of price, unless it's something I absolutely need & will get some mileage out of. Otherwise all it's doing is making my browser list longer!

What are people's thought on this? BTW I'm only using Noxious as an example because I know it's a well regarded synth, people love Zvork's RE's & the price in the sale is extremely generous.
Burger King: Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburger - Meal: $11.25
Noxious $9 and you still have it in your system after 24 hrs, and beyond. Tough choice.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

Oquasec

29 Aug 2017

If I can help it I'm snatching all the 9 $ synths I see period. Lmao.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

dvdrtldg

29 Aug 2017

Depends how much time you spend on goal-oriented production where you know exactly what results you want to get, and how much time you spend freely experimenting. For the former, yes it's good to have a limited number of tools that you know well. But for the latter, you can never have too many REs. I have some synths that are familiar workhorses, and others that I leave for those "Let's take this one out for a spin" occasions. Noxious isn't an everyday synth but it's a great one to have for experimenting with pads & textures imo. Especially at $9.00

electrochoc (PRX-A)

29 Aug 2017

dvdrtldg wrote:
29 Aug 2017
Noxious isn't an everyday synth but it's a great one to have for experimenting with pads & textures imo.
... and organ-like sounds and everything that sounds metallic! I've spent eleven time the current price on Noxious a couple of years ago, and it has been one of the synths I had the most fun with. This said, I don't do production and am constantly on a "Let's take this one out for a spin" mood... :mrgreen: I also must add that Noxious is the synth that made me discover and love additive synthesis: for this reason, it will always have a special place in my rack. At 9$, it is to me a high level no-brainer, but I'm not sure I am very objective!
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

30 Aug 2017

I know the feeling. I've been there many times myself.

What I typically do when I buy a new RE, particularly when I buy something I don't "need". I always use it in a song straight away (like a one synth only track) and make sure I actually finish it. That way even if I never touch it again at least I've gotten a song out of it. That's my way of justifying my purchase.

kitekrazy

30 Aug 2017

bxbrkrz wrote:
29 Aug 2017
Faastwalker wrote:
29 Aug 2017

Noxious $9 and you still have it in your system after 24 hrs, and beyond. Tough choice.
Those are the worst analogies. You have to be beyond stupid to spend $11 at a fast food place. Comparing software to food I just don't get it even though you make a valid point. Maybe some of us are better at our culinary skills than our musical skills that we don't buy prepared food.

Acquiring more DAW software is often a no brainer meaning we don't use it. Then we have more stuff than we need and forget what we have.

BTW I'm looking to expand my REs. Really thinking about this synth since everyone likes it. So I'm with the OP on this one.

Faastwalker

30 Aug 2017

I did think, 'this is two cups of coffee'! On the other hand I'm trying to curb coffee addiction & not spend money on it because it feels like the new smoking! Lining up at the coffee cart every day, spending a stupid amount of money on the stuff each week!! $9 is not a lot for anyone. But that's not really the point I was making. It's more about would I be buying this purely because it's only $9 in the sale? Do I need it? Would I use it? It's the same with iOS Apps. I used to buy every bit of rubbish going, mainly because Apps are only a few dollars. But I've spend a lot of dollars on cheap Apps & never used them for more than 15 minutes! So that makes me think about this beyond, 'it's $9. Must purchase'. My thoughts on noxious are that it's an interesting device but so far is capable of sounds I can already do with other synths I have. It just does so in a different (additive) way. I'm sure that's over simplifying this device greatly. I don't mean to sound disrespectful of it. Maybe I've just got too many synths in Reason & I'm a master of none! There's not enough hours in the day as it is!

moneykube

30 Aug 2017

so far... very pleased with this rack... used it immediately in a song... couldn't say no to the deal although I have enough synths as well... to me it was a good buy
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Ahornberg

30 Aug 2017

just went on it

Sorped

30 Aug 2017

Faastwalker wrote:
29 Aug 2017
In the past I've jumped at such offers & then rarely, if ever, returned to the particular RE.
A good remedy for that is taking part in The One Synth EP Challenge

And there's a prize for every entry: You get the chance to get to know your synth! ;)
Alio Modo: SoundCloud
-----------
Born to lose, live to win.
Don't forget to back up your projects! :thumbs_up:

PhutureD

30 Aug 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
30 Aug 2017
just went on it
Same here , For me , like parsec it will fit in nicely for when I need to make something which is not
common to my sound designworkflow.

Ahornberg

30 Aug 2017

PhutureD wrote:
30 Aug 2017
Ahornberg wrote:
30 Aug 2017
just went on it
Same here , For me , like parsec it will fit in nicely for when I need to make something which is not
common to my sound designworkflow.
Yes, it provides another flavour than Parsec.

scratchnsnifff

30 Aug 2017

I noticed it has modifiers what kinds of modifying does it do? Is it just another set of filters or does it have something like phase distortion bend +/- or other concepts like that?
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Ahornberg

30 Aug 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
30 Aug 2017
I noticed it has modifiers what kinds of modifying does it do? Is it just another set of filters or does it have something like phase distortion bend +/- or other concepts like that?
With this modifiers you can detune the pitch and volume of the overtones.
I recommend making yourself familiar with additive synthesis.
The Noxious manual should describe in detail the meaning of all modifiers.

electrochoc (PRX-A)

30 Aug 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
30 Aug 2017
scratchnsnifff wrote:
30 Aug 2017
I you want a quick introduction to additive synthesis, here's a video made by Propellerhead to promote Parsec, Propellerhead's additive synthesizer, that is well done:

This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

scratchnsnifff

30 Aug 2017

electrochoc (PRX-A) wrote:
30 Aug 2017
Ahornberg wrote:
30 Aug 2017

I you want a quick introduction to additive synthesis, here's a video made by Propellerhead to promote Parsec, Propellerhead's additive synthesizer, that is well done:

I understand the concept of partials and modifiers just was hoping that its modifiers would be similar to expanse :p I have most of the additive options in the RE format except for noxious I might get it jus to complete my collection :p I'm loving Oberons take on additive synthesis, it feels like subtractive synthesis but with an additive spice (Oberon)

Ahornberg

30 Aug 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
30 Aug 2017
electrochoc (PRX-A) wrote:
30 Aug 2017

I understand the concept of partials and modifiers just was hoping that its modifiers would be similar to expanse :p I have most of the additive options in the RE format except for noxious I might get it jus to complete my collection :p I'm loving Oberons take on additive synthesis, it feels like subtractive synthesis but with an additive spice (Oberon)
Noxious is somewhat different to other additive synths ... otherwise we wouldn't need it :puf_bigsmile:

scratchnsnifff

30 Aug 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
30 Aug 2017
scratchnsnifff wrote:
30 Aug 2017

Noxious is somewhat different to other additive synths ... otherwise we wouldn't need it :puf_bigsmile:

Haha il just have to get it and see for myself I can make use of pretty much any synth I have

Ahornberg

30 Aug 2017

I just noticed that not all knobs are automatable :|

strangers
Competition Winner

30 Aug 2017

The $9 synth sales are very enticing. I've been making an effort to trial each of them instead of buying just because they're cheap. Some can be a steal at $9, like Kraft.

I've been on the fence with Noxious and most of the Corbach RE's. They may be cheap but some of the interfaces are a nightmare or, as unfair as it is, are smoked by other RE's like Parsec that can do similar and then some. Some I can't even justify for the patches since that's $9 extra I'd rather put toward Expanse or Zero.

Creativemind

30 Aug 2017

Don't know if anyone above has mentioned this 'cause I haven't read all the comments yet but it isn't $9, it's €9 which is (if we're talking American dollars) $10.70 according to the internet. Still cheap though lol!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

scratchnsnifff

30 Aug 2017

So I got noxious and it's awesome! It does have some modifiers that seem similar to the bend modes of serum massive or expanse I can't wait to really sit down and use it, it's way better than I expected I always thought it looked weird but now that Iv dabbled with it my opinion has changed :)

avasopht
Competition Winner

31 Aug 2017

Note, a lot of the other 'additive' synthesizers referenced such as Parsec aren't additive in the traditional sense of adding independent tones, but are rather spectral synths.

A spectral synth only produces controllable partials at integer harmonics of the root note. You can set the amplitude and phase of each integer harmonic, but that's about as much control as you will get.

Noxious allows the pitch of each partial to be modified to any frequency in real time, making it a completely different beast capable of producing sounds inimaginable by something like Parsec.

rpowers9

01 Sep 2017

bxbrkrz wrote:
29 Aug 2017
Faastwalker wrote:
29 Aug 2017

Not gonna lie, I bought for $9 too, trying it out tonight. Having said that, I hope BK isn't in my system longer than 24 hours.

• Information