kHs Phase Distortion is in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
dioxide

31 Aug 2017

kHs Phase Distortion

Support your local Rack Extension developers!
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... istortion/

Are you tired of only warping signal amplitude like a pleb? Phase Distortion is here to deliver phase melting mayhem!

Will you use your newfound power for good or for evil?

Phase Distortion is one of the devices in the Kilohearts Toolbox bundle.

Product details
Traditionally, most distortion units overdrive and shape the amplitude of a signal in various ways to generate a rougher sound. Phase Distortion instead lets the signal modulate the phase of itself, essentially resulting in something similar to feedback FM. This way you can add that FM touch to any sound, to get a sweet 80's vibe or a filthy dubstep bass.

Wickline

31 Aug 2017

If this had an oscillator with a few basic waveforms to use with/instead of feedback modulation it would be the most amazing thing ever.

Edit: That sounded dickish. This looks like a great unit. I definitely want it. Just an idea of something that would make it more versatile.
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

dioxide

31 Aug 2017

Wickline wrote:
31 Aug 2017
If this had an oscillator with a few basic waveforms to use with/instead of feedback modulation it would be the most amazing thing ever.

Edit: That sounded dickish. This looks like a great unit. I definitely want it. Just an idea of something that would make it more versatile.
Actually I think that would work well for kHS if they did a serious of oscillator devices as a companion to the kHS Toolkit. Nice idea.

Bumbum

31 Aug 2017

Support your local Rack Extension developers
:D ive already spent too much but still it pulls me back in

geronimo

31 Aug 2017

And Possibility of update when you already have the bundle Toolbox . (19 €) .

scratchnsnifff

31 Aug 2017

Haha every time they release a product I get it :p I'm digging this new distortion type :D
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

aeox
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2017

I played with this for a little bit and noticed I was getting this desirable effect that makes everything sounds more "plastic" for lack of a better term. Although, I already found another RE that came in the Mix N' Master bundle that gives me that same sound.. Also, that spread control is nice addition. Really useful sometimes.

aeox
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2017

I really don't know how I think something sounds plastic... I'm a weirdo

Loque

01 Sep 2017

aeox wrote:
01 Sep 2017
I played with this for a little bit and noticed I was getting this desirable effect that makes everything sounds more "plastic" for lack of a better term. Although, I already found another RE that came in the Mix N' Master bundle that gives me that same sound.. Also, that spread control is nice addition. Really useful sometimes.
which one do you mean from the mix bundle?
Reason12, Win10

aeox
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2017

Loque wrote:
01 Sep 2017
aeox wrote:
01 Sep 2017
4Dyne Multiband Dynamics on default settings but each splitter type switched to analog 48, apply this to sawtooth wave and you will hear the effect I'm talking about.

Edit: maybes it's some sort of phasing from the multiband splits? Shrugs

Loque

01 Sep 2017

aeox wrote:
01 Sep 2017
Loque wrote:
01 Sep 2017

4Dyne Multiband Dynamics on default settings but each splitter type switched to analog 48, apply this to sawtooth wave and you will hear the effect I'm talking about.

Edit: maybes it's some sort of phasing from the multiband splits? Shrugs
Yea, my first thought was some sort of phasing due to analog settings. I was never really satisfied with the sound of 4Dyne. Maybe i should take a deeper look into this to see, what really happens there.

Back to the Phase Distortion RE, i am not sure, where the big difference is to a normal phaser. Maybe someone can explain this.

Edit: I just checked the manual of 4Dyne and it should not phase due to latency, well depending on what was changed and frequency it still may introduce phasing issues, where the analog split functions should just introduce lower latency. No details about where the difference is to perfect mode, so i have to investigate the named algorithm ;) :lol: The general phasing problem of this device (not sure if all MBC have this) explains, why i never was satisfied with the results.
Reason12, Win10

pothole

01 Sep 2017

don't forget to go to upgrade toolbox if you own it

phase distortion is 19 euro that way

btw i love it !!! :puf_smile:

Breach The Sky

01 Sep 2017

aeox wrote:
01 Sep 2017
I really don't know how I think something sounds plastic... I'm a weirdo
If you like that effect you're going to -love- Disperser, also by Kilohearts!

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/disperser/

alex

02 Sep 2017

pothole wrote:
01 Sep 2017
don't forget to go to upgrade toolbox if you own it

phase distortion is 19 euro that way

btw i love it !!! :puf_smile:
Yeah, thanks for the heads up! :thumbs_up:

I just want to add that once in the shop, you have to pay attention because there are two khs toolbox products:
  • kHs Toolbox (VST)
  • Kilohearts Toolbox (RE)
The good one for the RE upgrade path (at 19€) is the latter (Kilohearts Toolbox, https://shop.propellerheads.se/bundle/k ... s-toolbox/).

The first one on the other hand is for the VST (which charges more than 220€... )

It tooks me a while to realize...

Cheers! :)
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

• Information