How much are you willing to spend on a RE?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

31 Aug 2017

Do you have a price limit?
I've seen some people say they only buy stuff for 40 bucks max.
Other people think they deserve to get a bunch of stuff for free, because they've been a loyal customer or something :lol:
Personally I'm willing to spend quite a bit of money if I really like a product, like with Expanse which I think is fairly priced. I would probably be ready to go up to 200 bucks if I really love a RE.

What's your opinion on the matter?

jayhosking

31 Aug 2017

Depends on what the RE does. Something like Expanse seems to have enormous depth and a variety of uses. Something that is more single-purpose, or has a limited utility (e.g. Rotor), I'm much less willing to pay a lot.

In general, though, I wouldn't want to go above $100, even for something as versatile as Expanse, although I will on occasion.

kitekrazy

31 Aug 2017

Right now about $9. The most 'Ive spent on one is $50. Anything more than that goes to where I can use it on all of my DAWs.
I'm still a fan of REs.

Abstrax

31 Aug 2017

I'm willing to pay what I think it's worth. Based on multiple factors.

Is it a new Synth? Fx? Utilities? Will I get a lot of use out of it? Is it a novelty item? How broad or narrow is it's application in my music? Is there a learning curve (which is an advantage in a lot of cases)? Is it a paid update that only changes the gui? Do I wanna be stuck with this, knowing I can't resell or transfer it?

It's kind of a hard question to answer. Off the top of my head, probably $80 for a synth. Half of that for an fx.

electrochoc (PRX-A)

31 Aug 2017

It's a hard question indeed, mainly because I never really thought about this this way... But I seem to have instinctive limits that look more or less like this:

- Big versatile synth/instrument (Oberon, Revival, Parsec, PX7): 100$
- Small specialized synth/instrument (Ivoks, Snakebite, Chip64): 40$
- Big versatile (and mostly creative) effect (Polar, Futzbox, RPDistort, Etch Red): 50$
- Specialized or studio effects (G8 Gate, EVE AT-1, Bitspeek, Neutron): 30$
- Utilities (Charlotte, Directre, ReVolt), : 15$

Most of my studio effects come from bundles (Mix & Mastering Rig, Synapse FX Bundle): the individual prices of these effects (which are useful but "boring" tools to me) refrained me to get them, but I was OK spending 150$ for a bunch of them! I'm almost no longer shopping for these as of now.

I could add that, since I only use Reason, my instinctive price limits are the same for VSTs, except that a VST must really add something to my rack to be considered (I prefer REs overall). Up to now, I've only bought two instruments for about 100$ each (Chromaphone 2 and Microtonic).
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

aeox
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2017

Expanse was my biggest single purchase and I have no regrets. Aside from that, the Mix N' Master Bundle was well worth the 300 I paid but I wish I'd have waited for a sale (didn't know about the sales at the time)

Loque

01 Sep 2017

It depends on what it offers in quality of sound, uniqueness, workflow, look, possibilites and so on. In the end, it must be worth what i got to pay. But my general pain barrier is 100€. If there is a good bundle with devices i dont have, containing a few good devices, may pain barrier is much higher.
Reason12, Win10

FLVZ

01 Sep 2017

Tube Tech is probably the most expensive RE I own (at sale price £160), I probably would have been willing to go up to £200 for it. Red Queen EQ is probably the most expensive effect I bought, all the others were acquired on sale I'd be willing to go up to £50 for effects. Synths I top out at £100, eXpanse being the only synth I own for little over £100. I still want Legend which is probably the only synth I'd happily buy for £200. But at the minute I have MonoPoly & VK2 so it feels like there is no need to purchase Legend. I feel more inclined to invest in REs than VSTs because Props will have vetted the developers, so I spend much less on purchasing VSTs and most of the ones I own I got for free or less than £30, apart from the Waves CLA bundle which I was on sale for $75. Will probably never buy a VST synth for more than £30

Oquasec

01 Sep 2017

parsec and expanse were synths I didn't wait for a price drop.
so 150-200 $.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Dante

01 Sep 2017

$200

Micha1973

02 Sep 2017

It depends an the re. if i want it after i download it as a trail and it will be a "star" und my pc. i pay for it. so that´s it

micha
Music Is My Life
&
Reason 12 sounds better :essentials:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsW3Wr ... gA05XklBng

motuscott

02 Sep 2017

Remember when the Tube-Tech stuff was introduced at $350? Damn
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

scratchnsnifff

02 Sep 2017

IL pay as much as it costs :) if it's unique and useful I always think it's worth a high tag. It supports the platform and developers. Call me a "fanboy" but I am a true fan of reason and all that goes with it :D it's brought me so much fun that i can't even explain it. I recently got spire for 189 I was suppose to get a discount, but they didn't email me back and when I got home it went from 130$ back to normal price. Kind of bad business because they left me hanging and pretty much ignored me after the first email. I love their product but I now think they are kinda shady, hopefully il get a soundbank or something for my odd experience:p I won't hold me to it but that'd be cool. I do wonder if the future of REs will me higher prices or if they will stay roughly the same
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

CaliforniaBurrito

02 Sep 2017

I think the most I spent on a RE was $99. I spent around $150 on U-he Diva.

$200 is my cap.

• Information