Grain vs Proton

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
XSynth

25 Oct 2017

If your into granular or have tried the new GRAIN included in Reason 10 then you might also want to check out Proton by LoveOne.

They are similar in function but features differ quite a bit.

1 Major thing on the Proton is that the grains can be polyphonic whereas Propellerhead GRAIN is monophonic.
Also to my ears Proton gives a better fidelity sound.

If your looking for samples to try out GRAIN or Proton then look in the XSynth OSC sample folder "AniPads" and in the folder "Stereo" where samples Named XS_______ are ment for granular engines.

Do a search on the forums for XSynth OSC refill if you dont have it yet.

/Michael

etyrnal

25 Oct 2017

XSynth wrote:If your into granular or have tried the new GRAIN included in Reason 10 then you might also want to check out Proton by LoveOne.

1 Major thing on the Proton is that the grains can be polyphonic whereas Propellerhead GRAIN is monophonic.

If your looking for samples to try out GRAIN or Proton then look in the XSynth OSC sample folder "AniPads" and in the folder "Stereo" where samples Named XS_______ are ment for granular engines.

/Michael
Grain is definitely not monophonic

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

eXode

26 Oct 2017

etyrnal wrote:
25 Oct 2017
XSynth wrote:If your into granular or have tried the new GRAIN included in Reason 10 then you might also want to check out Proton by LoveOne.

/Michael

He didn't say that.

scratchnsnifff

26 Oct 2017

eXode wrote:
26 Oct 2017
etyrnal wrote:
25 Oct 2017

He didn't say that.

Actually he did, OP

“Propellerhead grain is monophonic”
Not tying to grain on anyone’s parade :D
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

eXode

26 Oct 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
26 Oct 2017
eXode wrote:
26 Oct 2017

He didn't say that.

Actually he did, OP

Out of context, yes. In context, no.

He's talking about the GRAINS in Proton and Grain. If you read the full sentence:

"1 Major thing on the Proton is that the grains can be polyphonic whereas Propellerhead GRAIN is monophonic."

AttenuationHz

26 Oct 2017

Is this thread about comparing Grain and Proton or promoting a ReFill?
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

26 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
26 Oct 2017
Is this thread about comparing Grain and Proton or promoting a ReFill?
I think it's all three, the OP is just taking the opportunity to promote, some poeple ;) :)

scratchnsnifff

26 Oct 2017

eXode wrote:
26 Oct 2017
scratchnsnifff wrote:
26 Oct 2017

Actually he did, OP

He's talking about the GRAINS in Proton and Grain. If you read the full sentence:

"1 Major thing on the Proton is that the grains can be polyphonic whereas Propellerhead GRAIN is monophonic."
You know, that occurred to me about 30 minutes after responding :p

My bad, maybe I shouldn’t post stuff when I wake up at 4am and am in my getting coffee/waking up stage
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

AttenuationHz

26 Oct 2017

:lol:
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Loque

26 Oct 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
26 Oct 2017
eXode wrote:
26 Oct 2017

You know, that occurred to me about 30 minutes after responding :p

My bad, maybe I shouldn’t post stuff when I wake up at 4am and am in my getting coffee/waking up stage
First things first!
Reason12, Win10

deepndark

26 Oct 2017

I have both, I quess, I will be comparing them and see what is unique about each. They sure have lot in common.

Psuper

26 Oct 2017

I spent the last couple weeks finding a Grain alternative, it's the only item in v.10 I was interested in. Lots and lots of options out there. Grain is fun, has it's place, not worth the upgrade though.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

lakinlakin

26 Oct 2017

I like Proton but it eats my CPU. Grain has been much better in that respect (so far).

demt

27 Oct 2017

before protons update i could get my own voice on it for manipulation ,no sutch luck version 2
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

jlgrimes

27 Oct 2017

XSynth wrote:
25 Oct 2017
If your into granular or have tried the new GRAIN included in Reason 10 then you might also want to check out Proton by LoveOne.

/Michael
I have to look at some tutorials on Proton.

I have Proton but only really just used the presets.

XSynth

10 Nov 2017

Looks like some people dont get the monophonic vs polyphonic feature in GRAIN and PROTON so i'll explain a bit deeper:

In GRAIN there is a little arrow which pinpoint where the grain starts its playing of the sample. Everytime you hit a key that arrow will move to a new location. It works kinda like a monophonic LFO.

In PROTON there are multiple arrows which ALL move to different locations. Everytime you hit a key a NEW arrow will move to different location. This is kinda like a polyphonic LFO.

GRAIN is only capable of playing from 1 location regardless of how many keys you hold down whereas PROTON will play from multiple locations depending on how many keys you hold down.

Since PROTON is capable of doing multiple grains at a time the engine will produce much more interesting sounds and thats why i started this thread.

Grains in GRAIN are monophonic and grains in PROTON are polyphonic.

esselfortium

10 Nov 2017

I don't think that's true... ignoring the display and using my ears, I'm fairly certain that Grain's grain playback is polyphonic, it's just displaying the last triggered note. The envelope displays behave the same way, and those are most certainly polyphonic!
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

avasopht
Competition Winner

10 Nov 2017

Well, maybe a better term might be hyperphonic, ...

XSynth

10 Nov 2017

Well its hard trying to describe the difference since there is no word for it and to me the best way of describing it is the term mono vs poly.
Lets just say I prefer PROTON over GRAIN in the way grains are handled.

Puniho

12 Nov 2017

In GRAIN there is a little arrow which pinpoint where the grain starts its playing of the sample. Everytime you hit a key that arrow will move to a new location. It works kinda like a monophonic LFO.
I understood that each time you strike a key it starts at the same place, unless you have programmed it to do otherwise? If you turn up the jitter amount for instance.or if you set it to global, any other key struck after the first will play from the same position in the sample as the original currently is.

Re8et
Competition Winner

20 Dec 2017

Grain is definitely polyphonic and eats cpu as well when presented a high stack of notes and long samples. But still very low, if you consider the quality of it.
Proton just upgraded its UI, has a wider cv mod choices, has widening particles, plus tons of other cool features.
Definitely worth buying at this stage, and low price.

Reasonable man

20 Dec 2017

I luv Fritz . Unpredictable as hell .... not a big fan of the wacky presets but for voice and stuff like guitar (or any audio really) it turns everything on its head, takes it on a tour of the twilight zone then dissapates it over the ether while roundhousing it in the balls.

Sorry for going off topic but i remember someone said that they created a few patches/presets /refill of fritz as a delay/reverb/feedback unit . Could have been Bitley actually . Hopefully they post a link when its ready!

etyrnal

20 Dec 2017

Re8et wrote:Grain is definitely polyphonic and eats cpu as well when presented a high stack of notes and long samples. But still very low, if you consider the quality of it.
Proton just upgraded its UI, has a wider cv mod choices, has widening particles, plus tons of other cool features.
Definitely worth buying at this stage, and low price.
Grain is way more efficient on the CPU than Photon. All day long.

• Information