How come there aren't any tape emulations?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Tumble

11 Nov 2017

And yes, I am aware that Scream 4 and Audiomatic can simulate tape, but those offer very limited controls.

Tape emus are very popular (as far as I can tell), so I don't understand why no one has yet to corner this part of the RE market. 🤔

Loque

11 Nov 2017

CrapRE is best :-D
Reason12, Win10

Maxsu

11 Nov 2017

If you have R7 or higher, the Audiomatic has makes also a good Tape sound ;) makes it organic

mark999

11 Nov 2017

I don't know why there aren't any tape emulations for Reason (besides Audiomatic and Scream) but in all honesty I don't miss them because they're usually too subtle to notice and have more to do with the psychological effects and placebo that comes with looking at pretty graphics than actually doing any significant improvement or difference. People may disagree with me, especially if they paid lots of money for those plugins. Most of the music today is consumed through cellhone speakers and iphone headphones in mp3 format or YouTube decoding, while people are walking on the street, sitting on the toilet, running, and doing all kinds of things - so a super subtle tape saturation that you can barely hear on studio monitors let alone on a cheap headphone doesn't make any difference to the listener. i'm referring to the tape plugins that WAVES puts out and similar plugins. I'm happy with Audiomatic and Scream because I can actually hear the difference

Bumbum

11 Nov 2017

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

11 Nov 2017

Loque wrote:
11 Nov 2017
CrapRE is best :-D
Yes. It's very subtle :D

Love Crapre though. It's actually really useful in some situations.

Marco Raaphorst

11 Nov 2017

Bumbum wrote:
11 Nov 2017
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... ecimort-2/
This has mant good tape presets
I think you meant some other RE. this is a bit crusher.

Vince-Noir-99

11 Nov 2017

I understand you're looking for one unit to do the job, but in the meanwhile, I'd recommend tweaking with the individual elements that give that effect:
- Compression
- Saturation
- Filtering
- Pitch modulation
Plenty of options, even with stock devices!

KirkMarkarian

11 Nov 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
11 Nov 2017
Bumbum wrote:
11 Nov 2017
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... ecimort-2/
This has mant good tape presets
That is true, it is a bitcrusher, but bitcrushers, used sparingly, can make some really great overdriven (not like guitar distortion overdrive) amp circuit sounds. When used subtly, to mildly degrade the sound, it will make a very tappy (not tapey) sound which will help translate to a tape/overdrive sound. Paired with the scream tape settings, a bitcrusher can aid in emulating a large variety of tape recorders. It helps give a harder edge, emulating a tape recorders heavy compression/noise reduction settings.

That being said, I do wish there was a version of CrapRe that was more adept at emulating other cassette tape devices with a fuller sound, without having to aid it with other Rack extensions. The CrapRe really gets more into the micro cassette sound, or really poorly made cassette recorder sound. It really excels at the very strongest forms of tape degradation, but leaves out a lot of the more subtle forms of cassette tape effects.

Audiomatic does a nice tape emulation, along with scream. There really could be other varieties of tape effects, though. There's a large pocket of sound that is being skipped over. This comment is only being made because I worked with cassette recording as a method of composition for several years, recording my synths to multiple tape recorders. It's really a neat method to learn stuff from. It has a pile of sound effects that could be very useful, and the digital realm gets nearly spot on, but it could always be improved upon.

Marco Raaphorst

11 Nov 2017

KirkMarkarian wrote:
11 Nov 2017
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
11 Nov 2017

That is true, it is a bitcrusher, but bitcrushers, used sparingly, can make some really great overdriven (not like guitar distortion overdrive) amp circuit sounds. When used subtly, to mildly degrade the sound, it will make a very tappy (not tapey) sound which will help translate to a tape/overdrive sound. Paired with the scream tape settings, a bitcrusher can aid in emulating a large variety of tape recorders. It helps give a harder edge, emulating a tape recorders heavy compression/noise reduction settings.

That being said, I do wish there was a version of CrapRe that was more adept at emulating other cassette tape devices with a fuller sound, without having to aid it with other Rack extensions. The CrapRe really gets more into the micro cassette sound, or really poorly made cassette recorder sound. It really excels at the very strongest forms of tape degradation, but leaves out a lot of the more subtle forms of cassette tape effects.

Audiomatic does a nice tape emulation, along with scream. There really could be other varieties of tape effects, though. There's a large pocket of sound that is being skipped over. This comment is only being made because I worked with cassette recording as a method of composition for several years, recording my synths to multiple tape recorders. It's really a neat method to learn stuff from. It has a pile of sound effects that could be very useful, and the digital realm gets nearly spot on, but it could always be improved upon.
If you need ODD harmonics, like tape, you can use many of the Reason devices. The Echo has some nice sounding ODD harmonics which are very tape like. But bit crushing is a digital effect. Totally the opposite of tape.

GRIFTY

11 Nov 2017

scream tape setting can get nice and chunky

KirkMarkarian

11 Nov 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
11 Nov 2017
KirkMarkarian wrote:
11 Nov 2017

If you need ODD harmonics, like tape, you can use many of the Reason devices. The Echo has some nice sounding ODD harmonics which are very tape like. But bit crushing is a digital effect. Totally the opposite of tape.
Well, using my ears, it's what I was able to achieve. Using a bitcrusher along with the scream unit sounds remarkably close to my pile of marantz and Panasonic cassette recorders. I know the Echo does the effect that you're talking about, it's really good at it! Sometimes, I want to emulate other primarily analog gear, and with subtle use of the bitcrusher effect that I have, I can :)

Variety is the spice of life.

The bitcrusher can do some amazing stuff, it's really about how one uses it. I use mine for poor audio compression/leveling, not for the usual bit-reduction sounds. It's a subtle use, and I place it between two scream units on the tape setting, for a companding effect - sounds a lot like my Marantz PMD-200 compression mixed with Dolby noise reduction. So, even in the analog cassette path, there are sometimes digital chips doing some exciting things in the actual devices. I'm going for a specific sound, and that's how I get it. It's all put together in a combinator.

I wish these effects were available in a separate RE. It may be more efficient to actually code them versus chaining them together separately. The computational chain could be refined. Also, less graphics, less CPU draw. If I knew how to, I would make it myself. In the meantime, maybe there is a person who codes who might read this and actually make it. One can dream :)

Exowildebeest

11 Nov 2017

It is strange. There's money to be made here by developers - people would buy a tape simulation no matter how crappy it is, CrapRe is evidence of that ;)

normen

11 Nov 2017

mark999 wrote:
11 Nov 2017
I don't know why there aren't any tape emulations for Reason (besides Audiomatic and Scream) but in all honesty I don't miss them because they're usually too subtle to notice and have more to do with the psychological effects and placebo that comes with looking at pretty graphics than actually doing any significant improvement or difference. People may disagree with me, especially if they paid lots of money for those plugins. Most of the music today is consumed through cellhone speakers and iphone headphones in mp3 format or YouTube decoding, while people are walking on the street, sitting on the toilet, running, and doing all kinds of things - so a super subtle tape saturation that you can barely hear on studio monitors let alone on a cheap headphone doesn't make any difference to the listener. i'm referring to the tape plugins that WAVES puts out and similar plugins. I'm happy with Audiomatic and Scream because I can actually hear the difference
This. If you want a tiny bit of distortion, multi band compression, crosstalk, noise, and pitch modulation in Reason you can get it. If you have no use for that you don't need a tape emulation either :)

• Information