Kilohearts filter gain reduction ?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Voyager

06 Feb 2018

Sup all,

I've unfortunatelly trialed this device some time ago and don't remember some features as how much gain reduction you can apply and it isn't mentioned on its description. Could someone enlighten me ?

By the way i'm talking about this filter

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... hs-filter/

esselfortium

06 Feb 2018

The gain reduction knob only applies to the three filter modes that the knob is linked with in the GUI, and it can reduce up to 12db.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Voyager

06 Feb 2018

esselfortium wrote:
06 Feb 2018

The gain reduction knob only applies to the three filter modes that the knob is linked with in the GUI, and it can reduce up to 12db.

12db max mhhh thought it as a bit more than that. Thanks esselfortium :)

esselfortium

06 Feb 2018

Agreed. It'd be nice if the maximum amount could be increased in an update.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Voyager

06 Feb 2018

esselfortium wrote:
06 Feb 2018

In my humble opinion won't happend. Otherwise F-16 has a gain reduction up to 48db if i remember well.

Voyager

06 Feb 2018

esselfortium, how much gain reduction get the notch filter on kilohearts ? still -12db ?

Also have you tried F-16 ? If yes what are your thoughs compared to Kilohearts ?

Anders_kiloHearts
RE Developer

08 Feb 2018

Voyager wrote:
06 Feb 2018
esselfortium wrote:
06 Feb 2018

In my humble opinion won't happend. Otherwise F-16 has a gain reduction up to 48db if i remember well.
While technically an easy change, it would unfortunately screw up automation for anyone using it already. You can stack multiple in a combinator, but I of course realize that's not perfect.

Loque

08 Feb 2018

Voyager wrote:
06 Feb 2018
esselfortium wrote:
06 Feb 2018

Or check out this one, that goes down to -192dB
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-extension/filter/
Reason12, Win10

Voyager

08 Feb 2018

Anders_kiloHearts wrote:
08 Feb 2018

While technically an easy change, it would unfortunately screw up automation for anyone using it already. You can stack multiple in a combinator, but I of course realize that's not perfect.

Any reason why you went initialy with a -12dB/octave ? If an update is available my guess is that the ones that are already using it won't complain about modify their automation if they know they can get more dB range control to work with.

And if any don't need more dB range they simply won't update. In the other hand there may be some people that have lost interest from this filter because of such limited dB range control.
Last edited by Voyager on 08 Feb 2018, edited 2 times in total.

Loque

08 Feb 2018

Voyager wrote:
08 Feb 2018
Anders_kiloHearts wrote:
08 Feb 2018

Any reason why you went initialy with a -12dB/octave ? If an update is available my guess is that the ones that are already using it won't complain about modify their automation if they know they can get more dB range control to work with.

And if any don't need more dB range they simply won't update. In the other hand there may be some people that have lost interest from this filter because of such limited dB range control.
Breaking compatibility is a serious issue imho.
Reason12, Win10

Voyager

08 Feb 2018

Loque wrote:
08 Feb 2018
Breaking compatibility is a serious issue imho.

Those who doesn't have any interest can pass the update. The only issue i see is that if you work with someone from distance and the other person has the update, then yes it may be a little be tricky.

Anders_kiloHearts
RE Developer

08 Feb 2018

Voyager wrote:
08 Feb 2018
Anders_kiloHearts wrote:
08 Feb 2018

Honestly I don't remember why. I don't think there was _that_ much thought behind it (but should maybe have been).

As for compatibility, all REs must be backwards compatible so we'd have to introduce a range switch or something so old presets work as before.

Voyager

08 Feb 2018

Anders_kiloHearts wrote:
08 Feb 2018

As for compatibility, all REs must be backwards compatible

It's a Reason policy ?

A range switch isn't a bad idea, but listen maybe most people are fine with such range control but for me with today standard in mixing 12dB/octave is somehow too limited.

On another topic, i notice that for the notch filter you don't have access over the gain, so what gain reduction has the notch filter by default ?

Anders_kiloHearts
RE Developer

08 Feb 2018

Voyager wrote:
08 Feb 2018
Anders_kiloHearts wrote:
08 Feb 2018

As for compatibility, all REs must be backwards compatible

It's a Reason policy ?

A range switch isn't a bad idea, but listen maybe most people are fine with such range control but for me with today standard in mixing 12dB/octave is somehow too limited.

On another topic, i notice that for the notch filter you don't have access over the gain, so what gain reduction has the notch filter by default ?
Yeah exactly, it's in the RE policy/requirements.

The notch filter is a total bandstop, so it attenuates fully (-inf dB) at the cutoff frequency.

• Information