How hard can it be?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
guitfnky

10 Apr 2018

glad I stumbled across this topic; it’s illuminating... to those who have submitted, how long did it take to get a response from Props? I submitted the form on Saturday or Sunday, and haven’t gotten any sort of email yet. I’m sure I’m just being impatient. 😬

and I’m not looking to do anything audio-based (at least not initially); is it just as hard to get started doing something with CVs as it is with effects/instrument creation?
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

synthetechsound
RE Developer

11 Apr 2018

guitfnky wrote:
10 Apr 2018
glad I stumbled across this topic; it’s illuminating... to those who have submitted, how long did it take to get a response from Props? I submitted the form on Saturday or Sunday, and haven’t gotten any sort of email yet. I’m sure I’m just being impatient. 😬

and I’m not looking to do anything audio-based (at least not initially); is it just as hard to get started doing something with CVs as it is with effects/instrument creation?
I got my response after a few days. Good luck with the RE.

guitfnky

11 Apr 2018

synthetechsound wrote:
11 Apr 2018
I got my response after a few days. Good luck with the RE.
thanks. :thumbs_up: I’ve tempered my expectations a bit thanks to this thread. the Props page makes it sound like it’s fairly easy to get into. it’ll be a learning experience, one way or another. :)

tallguy

11 Apr 2018

I've got a bit of programming experience myself. Had the same thought as the OP and realised there's no simple way of getting in there so decided life's too short. It doesn't look like you can download an SDK to develop your own simple little in-house RE's.

Shame though. It would be nice if there was some sort of way of getting your feet wet in the world of programming synths, effects... A lot of people would enjoy creating their own instruments the way people enjoy putting together hardware synths.

kuhliloach

11 Apr 2018

Someone should make an RE with presets only; no controls on the front, and no holes on the back except output L and R. How many presets you might ask? Four hundred billion.

avasopht
Competition Winner

11 Apr 2018

tallguy wrote:
11 Apr 2018
It doesn't look like you can download an SDK to develop your own simple little in-house RE's.
Yes you can.

Once you've got the SDK you can make a build that loads in Reason and does not appear in the shop. I've done this myself and used my own effects in a few tracks.

All you need to do is apply. You don't have to have a company if you are not releasing in the shop.

tallguy

11 Apr 2018

avasopht wrote:
11 Apr 2018
tallguy wrote:
11 Apr 2018
It doesn't look like you can download an SDK to develop your own simple little in-house RE's.
Yes you can.

Once you've got the SDK you can make a build that loads in Reason and does not appear in the shop. I've done this myself and used my own effects in a few tracks.

All you need to do is apply. You don't have to have a company if you are not releasing in the shop.
Oh, that's interesting. I must have misread their webpage then.

buddard
RE Developer

11 Apr 2018

guitfnky wrote:
10 Apr 2018
is it just as hard to get started doing something with CVs as it is with effects/instrument creation?
I guess it depends on which aspects you consider hard? You certainly need a lot more DSP chops to create an effect or instrument vs a CV device, but all of them require at least some basic programming skills. The GUI part is pretty simple if you stick to the included graphical assets, and the docs and examples should give you a pretty good idea of how you put everything together.

guitfnky

12 Apr 2018

buddard wrote:
11 Apr 2018
I guess it depends on which aspects you consider hard? You certainly need a lot more DSP chops to create an effect or instrument vs a CV device, but all of them require at least some basic programming skills. The GUI part is pretty simple if you stick to the included graphical assets, and the docs and examples should give you a pretty good idea of how you put everything together.
:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

I have a small amount of familiarity with some basic programming (nothing yet in C++ though, so that's going to take some learning). I'm decent at figuring things out as long as the tools and support materials I have access to aren't too cryptic. it's really encouraging to hear the examples and documentation should do a good job of getting me started, in that regard.

glad to hear the GUI shouldn't be too daunting at first. I'll definitely be using the basic stuff that's included to start; I wouldn't want to spend a ton of time on the GUI until I figure out if I can actually get the thing to do what I want it to in the first place.

Ottostrom

15 Apr 2018

buddard wrote:
11 Apr 2018
The GUI part is pretty simple if you stick to the included graphical assets, and the docs and examples should give you a pretty good idea of how you put everything together.
I second this. The included docs explain the process pretty well and there are a lot of included assets.
It didn't take long for me as a complete beginner to finalise the first GUI draft of my secret RE project (which still needs a proper coder hint hint ;) )

• Information