Proton grain mode question

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
scratchnsnifff

25 Jul 2018

So Iv been using proton every now and again and I recently learned that you can make the sample display very small so you can see the waveform
Doing this mimics wavetable synthesis

I wanted to know which grain mode works best for smooth crossfading when using a size of 0 and a slow sweeping position

I noticed that when trying to make a wave table type of sound, that the result sounded like it had phase issues (probably a result of how the waveform was recorded rather than a sample playback error or something)

Is there any way to mimic the grain oscillator using proton instead of using grain? Or is this a feature that would have to be added. If so it would be cool to see a well done cross fade mode in proton. Proton is the first of the sample using Re synths from 9.2 and I love using it. I just hope to use it more for wavetable type of sound :D
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

hamzter
RE Developer

30 Jul 2018

Hi!

Thanks for your interest in Proton!

I'm afraid the Proton sound engine wasn't really built for wavetable synthesis. For example, it completely ignores many issues related to aliasing that you'd have to take into consideration when designing a "true" wavetable synth. I think it would be more fair to describe Proton as being able to produce "wavetable-like" effects.

I may revisit Proton at some point in the future, but right now I'm fairly busy working on other projects.

Best regards,
Gustav

scratchnsnifff

02 Aug 2018

hamzter wrote:
30 Jul 2018
Hi!

Thanks for your interest in Proton!

I'm afraid the Proton sound engine wasn't really built for wavetable synthesis. For example, it completely ignores many issues related to aliasing that you'd have to take into consideration when designing a "true" wavetable synth. I think it would be more fair to describe Proton as being able to produce "wavetable-like" effects.

I may revisit Proton at some point in the future, but right now I'm fairly busy working on other projects.

Best regards,
Gustav
Hey it’s all good, I’m still able to use proton for more granular style effects while reasons grain gives me the wavetableness that I like to use.

I’m interested to see what future projects come about
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

• Information