Palette Colorizer by Red Rock Sound

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
muckmclane

12 Nov 2018

Anyone get a chance to try this thing out yet?

https://shop.propellerheads.com/rack-ex ... colorizer/
Attachments
pc.GIF
pc.GIF (73.61 KiB) Viewed 4830 times

Catblack

12 Nov 2018

?

If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

dvdrtldg

12 Nov 2018

Looks interesting and I'll probably give it a try, but at a glance it seems like this device doesn't have a lot to offer in an already saturated (ho ho) market. Maybe there's some sort of special sauce (super accurate modelling? that "Tone" feature?) that really sets it apart from hundreds of others

EDIT: Trialling it now. Does pretty much what it says on the side of the box, i.e. breaks up the signal a bit in various ways that correspond to "Green", "Blue", "Red" etc etc. It's pretty subtle - the Tone function in particular doesn't seem to do much

Main thing is that I wish it had auto gain compensation. First thing you want to do with a device like this is drive the input, but if that immediately cranks the volume then it becomes a pain trying to A/B it and determine what sort of "colourising" is really going on

The other thing is that all the interesting stuff happens under the hood. If you like to be able to decide whether to boost odd or even harmonics, set dynamic response, focus on high or low frequencies, shape transients etc, then this is not for you. On the other hand if you're a hardware geek and would like to know how this things stacks up against the 13 analogue devices supposedly modeled, then bad luck again because the only information you get is the names of colours

I guess if you want to add a bit of set-and-forget sizzle to things and don't already have a bunch of plugins like Klanghelm SDRR, Waves Cobalt Saphira etc, then this could be reasonable value at $29 but I wouldn't pay full price

I like Red Rock Sound REs on the whole, but they can be a bit hit and miss. Hits for me are RE180 dynamic driver, C1-L1 compressor, Ivoks synth, RE3Q equaliser. Misses are RE202 exciter, RE200 bass enhancer - and this one

eusti

13 Nov 2018

Seems to have come out yesterday (11-12-18) and I haven't seen any thread about it.

https://shop.propellerheads.com/rack-ex ... colorizer/

From the shop site:

Intro price until the end of the year!:) $ 29 (from $ 49)

Red Rock Sound Palette - simulates the signal path of 13 analog devices through the use of convolution and various proprietary non-linear processes. Palette is designed to provide analog-like color and character to the modern digital audio signal.
Product details

Palette is very easy to use, does not require studying the manual. Just add this effect to the original signal and select the desired color.

FRONT PANEL:

INPUT GAIN — control knob for the Level of the Input Signal

COLOR - use "COLOR" buttons to select the appropriate color for your audio signal.

TONE - select the intensity of the original IR color from natural to maximal.

PAN - control knob for panning only processed signal

DRY - control knob for adding amount unprocessed "DRY" signal

WET - control knob for adding amount processed "WET" signal

BACK PANEL:

Audio Inputs and Outputs
CV inputs for controlling the panning, dry and wet signal

Interesting... Have to say some colors seem to be too subtle for me to tag, but other are clearly producing more volume than others....
What do you guys think?

motuscott

13 Nov 2018

Wow. Love Ivoks and C1-L1.
must check it out.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

MannequinRaces

13 Nov 2018

Seems like analog coloring devices are all the rage these days. This looks interesting. Will have to try it out soon.

QVprod

13 Nov 2018

eusti wrote:
13 Nov 2018
Seems to have come out yesterday (11-12-18) and I haven't seen any thread about it.

There was actually, but it flew under the radar viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7509613

eusti

14 Nov 2018

Oooops! Sorry! Do you want to kill this thread or combine them?

D.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

14 Nov 2018

Goddammit here I was trying to take a break from getting new REs. And then this RE, Tape Cassette Deck from Klevgränd and the new Synth bundle 2 from Noise Engineering comes out all around ther same time.
All the type of REs I'm interested in. Oh well to hell with saving money I guess. I gotta try them at least.

This RE looks very interesting. Just enough features for my taste. And perhaps a good alternative to Audiomatics "vinyl" and "tape" setting.

Marco Raaphorst

14 Nov 2018

This seems to be a preset EQ. I am wondering what the "various proprietary non-linear processes" are. Can't find any.

eusti

14 Nov 2018

Thanks, Joey! :)

D.

seqoi

14 Nov 2018

No it does not look like Antelope interfaces...no not at all

aeox
Competition Winner

14 Nov 2018

seqoi wrote:
14 Nov 2018
No it does not look like Antelope interfaces...no not at all

:lol:

miscend

15 Nov 2018

Is this sort of like Acustica Audios Nebula where they use impulse responses from hardware boxes to mimic analog mojo.

Loque

15 Nov 2018

miscend wrote:
15 Nov 2018
Is this sort of like Acustica Audios Nebula where they use impulse responses from hardware boxes to mimic analog mojo.
Yea, i think so. And i think this one does the same: https://app.noiiz.com/plugins/3
Reason12, Win10

seqoi

15 Nov 2018

Loque wrote:
15 Nov 2018
miscend wrote:
15 Nov 2018
Yea, i think so. And i think this one does the same: https://app.noiiz.com/plugins/3
No actually it is not. I mean Acustica does not do impulse response like people are used to think about but i can see why people are under impression that's the case. There are whitepapers on Acustica technology and one can read them they are VERY detailed. But short story Acustica is not single impulse response file. It's not even like Focusrite (now abandoned) Liquid mix if anyone can even recall that device which was multisampled IR technology. Acustica is even better. Their tech is called Voltetra Kernels and below is just simple description. In depth things are very detailed.

https://www.acustica-audio.com/pages/engine

miscend

15 Nov 2018

seqoi wrote:
15 Nov 2018
Loque wrote:
15 Nov 2018

No actually it is not. I mean Acustica does not do impulse response like people are used to think about but i can see why people are under impression that's the case. There are whitepapers on Acustica technology and one can read them they are VERY detailed. But short story Acustica is not single impulse response file. It's not even like Focusrite (now abandoned) Liquid mix if anyone can even recall that device which was multisampled IR technology. Acustica is even better. Their tech is called Voltetra Kernels and below is just simple description. In depth things are very detailed.

I think they are similar but regular IR convolution is limited to reverbs, whereas Nebula can recreate most effects including EQs, Compressors, Pedals and preamps etc etc. They are both based on recorded samples so are a frozen snapshot and don't capture non-linearities or random elements as well as DSP based plugins. The Acustica audio guys are secretive and the information they give on website is incomplete. The Volterra Kernels stuff might as well be voodoo. I have demoed Nebula before, it comes with a utility called NAT that does all the sampling. You need to capture a large amount of samples to get anything that's reasonably good. Harmonically rich devices like distortion boxes usually don't capture very well.

Marco Raaphorst

15 Nov 2018

miscend wrote:
15 Nov 2018
seqoi wrote:
15 Nov 2018

I think they are similar but regular IR convolution is limited to reverbs, whereas Nebula can recreate most effects including EQs, Compressors, Pedals and preamps etc etc. They are both based on recorded samples so are a frozen snapshot and don't capture non-linearities or random elements as well as DSP based plugins. The Acustica audio guys are secretive and the information they give on website is incomplete. The Volterra Kernels stuff might as well be voodoo. I have demoed Nebula before, it comes with a utility called NAT that does all the sampling. You need to capture a large amount of samples to get anything that's reasonably good. Harmonically rich devices like distortion boxes usually don't capture very well.
IR can not only do reverbs, it can do EQ. anything that is linear that is.

seqoi

16 Nov 2018

miscend wrote:
15 Nov 2018

You are completely wrong.

Look i am not debating it's not even my opinion. And yes Acustica is non linear. Truly nonlinear which is why i said it's not an IR but if you want to force that horse it's ok with me. I guess people get in to this misconception because they are using sampling process but no all sampling processes are impulse response per se.

And no they are not secretive. I noted website is brief but there are white papers online, each year they are having webinars and they are attending shows across globe. They have events with developers and so on.

There are whitepapers online and if you want to release a library for their plugin you are getting their sampling tools, software and kits. And i do know that for a fact. Like i said i am not speaking this out of the blue.

I am responding to this thread not to debate with you but to remove that misconception about whole thing. I've seen it many times. I am using their tools and that's all. Yes i agree their website could be better when it comes to information organization.

If you can prove what i said above is wrong i will be happy to learn better from you and i will make my honest apology to you in public. Until then i think it's not fair to marginalize product because you heard on some online forum "it's IR tech and they are this and that"..

miscend

16 Nov 2018

seqoi wrote:
16 Nov 2018
miscend wrote:
15 Nov 2018

You are completely wrong.

Look i am not debating it's not even my opinion. And yes Acustica is non linear. Truly nonlinear which is why i said it's not an IR but if you want to force that horse it's ok with me. I guess people get in to this misconception because they are using sampling process but no all sampling processes are impulse response per se.

And no they are not secretive. I noted website is brief but there are white papers online, each year they are having webinars and they are attending shows across globe. They have events with developers and so on.

There are whitepapers online and if you want to release a library for their plugin you are getting their sampling tools, software and kits. And i do know that for a fact. Like i said i am not speaking this out of the blue.

I am responding to this thread not to debate with you but to remove that misconception about whole thing. I've seen it many times. I am using their tools and that's all. Yes i agree their website could be better when it comes to information organization.

If you can prove what i said above is wrong i will be happy to learn better from you and i will make my honest apology to you in public. Until then i think it's not fair to marginalize product because you heard on some online forum "it's IR tech and they are this and that"..
Listen to the tails of the reverbs. They completely omit the dynamic random elements.

seqoi

29 Nov 2018

Sorry i missed your reply. I just stumped on different conversation which was posted yesterday where one of their beta testers (and well known user at GS) is trying to describe difference.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpos ... tcount=644 - it's a good read - not very technical but made to be understandable for us "normal" people.

Cheers

Biolumin3sc3nt

03 Nov 2022

I'm bumping this thread as I've finally hit the trial button years later.

My take -- I like it a bunch! (sorry i know that's vague) I used it and it sounded good :)

There are tons of plugins out there that add their own "Analog" flavor, and with Red Rock in the spotlight lately, I decided to give it a go. My one critique is not having the traditional dry/wet knob (yes 1 knob only), but that's just me. I can dial things in a lot faster that way.

So yeah...

• Information