Trying new REs - what's your method?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
antic604

19 Dec 2018

I know it's probably the best idea to try and write some music with REs you're having on trial, but with my workflow that's really not an option - I take too long to do / finish anything, can't really plan my "sessions" ahead due to work & familiy and there might be weeks between productive sessions because of lack of time.

So if the above isn't an option, how would you do this? I recently found out that QNG is awesome for that - you can quickly set up some bass, pads and leads sequences and just cycle through the preset categories for the RE you're trying, to get a feel for what it sounds like, tweak the knobs (& cables now!) to check the workflow, etc.

I really wish QNG was in Rent-to-Own just because of that alone! :o

Melody303

19 Dec 2018

I don't agree that that's the best idea, in fact I think of it as a trap and I try to be careful not to write something using RE's I'm trialing before I decide whether to buy them. If I write a song with it, I'll have to keep it to be able to open the song beyond the trial without missing devices or bouncing to track (which I rather not do).
Even if I could get all the RE's for free, I wouldn't want them all. Too much clutters my workspace, and makes reaching for something specific I want a little longer of a process than it has to be, which is a hindrance in future song writing.

I don't rush to trial things as soon as they come out because of the likelyhood of wasting the trial. I'd love to spend a few minutes to an hour with a new RE whenever one pops up to make up my mind about it, but the rest of the trial generally goes to waste, and in the case of effects it's usually better to trial several similar things at the same time to pick the best one for your use, where yo ucan compare and contrast.
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Dec 2018

I didn’t trial anything for ages. Just bought REs straight off going by the demo videos and if I thought they sounded cool. Sale fever was also a big factor...learned the hard way with both Aeon and Hydronexius/ Aquios (which I promise not to knock any more from now). As soon as QNG came out I had my card in my hand but then I thought well I’ll try it first. Glad I did. Not for me. So yeah...if I see it and hear it and it think it looks cool I’ll download it and try it. I can usually decide after about 15 minutes if I’ll use it or not. QNG took a few days.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

antic604

19 Dec 2018

Melody303 wrote:
19 Dec 2018
it's usually better to trial several similar things at the same time to pick the best one for your use, where yo ucan compare and contrast.
That's a pretty great tip, thanks! :)

DiZo

21 Dec 2018

a simple and good method is switching preset bank ^^

you know fast if the sound and the workflow is ok for you or not :)

you can create fast a little "kitpack" of sound for nn19/nnxt/kong:redrum/grain.... for check fast possibilty of the engine :)

edit: i have buy tyhe Lgend 2minute after demo dl lol

motuscott

21 Dec 2018

1. Gather your druggas
2. Do them all and quickly install the demo
3. Wake up several days later w/ a 1/2 dozen new projects started
4. Don’t review them. Download new demos of other REs
5. Rinse and repeat
6. Your hair will be silky smooth
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

guitfnky

21 Dec 2018

for instrument REs, I start with a new track, and mess around with some of the presets, and do some tweaking. if I hit on something that works musically (i.e. I want to develop it into an actual song), I’ll buy it. if it doesn’t inspire an actual track, it’s probably not really worth my time. I usually make that decision in my first session trying it.

The Legend was a great example. I had the beginnings of a new tune less than five minutes after downloading it, so it was a no-brainer. Stringwerk (which I almost bought without trialing) was the opposite. it sounded really good, but the workflow wasn’t as intuitive as I’d hoped, and ultimately felt uninspiring, so I passed.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 Dec 2018

For me it's pretty easy. I can usually decide very quickly. With some I give them a couple of chances. With others I already know after 10 minutes (especially if I don't like them).
Is it fun to work with? Meaning does the GUI and workflow click with me? Does the sounds coming out of it inspire me to make music?
That's it.

Price is usually not an issue, not because I'm wealthy, but because I don't care. If I want it I'll buy it.

xylyx

22 Dec 2018

I do a couple of different things:

1. I just set up a couple of RND devices and then try different presets...if something interesting takes shape then I will usually buy it.

2. I sometimes open up a work in progress song file (saving it under a different name first) and then try replacing some of the current instruments with the one I'm trialling - if it is not improving or adding anything new to what I already had, then I don't generally purchase it.

I have also stopped using the trial period until I am in a position to be able to buy it if I like it - waiting is just too difficult :)

motuscott

22 Dec 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
22 Dec 2018
Price is usually not an issue, not because I'm wealthy, but because I don't care.
Brother!
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

antic604

23 Dec 2018

motuscott wrote:
21 Dec 2018
1. Gather your druggas
5. Rinse and repeat
This could actually work if I didn't have a full time job, wife & 3 kids to take care of :(

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2018

antic604 wrote:
23 Dec 2018
motuscott wrote:
21 Dec 2018
1. Gather your druggas
5. Rinse and repeat
This could actually work if I didn't have a full time job, wife & 3 kids to take care of :(
Point 1. in the list should actually help with that too.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

antic604

23 Dec 2018

MrFigg wrote:
23 Dec 2018
antic604 wrote:
23 Dec 2018

Point 1. in the list should actually help with that too.
Definitively help, too. :D

dvdrtldg

23 Dec 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
22 Dec 2018
For me it's pretty easy. I can usually decide very quickly. With some I give them a couple of chances. With others I already know after 10 minutes (especially if I don't like them).
Is it fun to work with? Meaning does the GUI and workflow click with me? Does the sounds coming out of it inspire me to make music?
That's it.

Price is usually not an issue, not because I'm wealthy, but because I don't care. If I want it I'll buy it.
This is pretty much me too. The yes/no decision happens within the first few minutes after installing, although these days I'm much choosier and usually pass

minilog

23 Dec 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
22 Dec 2018
That's it.

I'm also a bit maniacal when it comes to this. I know very quickly if something is for me and money doesn't matter. I already have the synth power I need so most of my trials are for mixing/mastering which might make things easier i.e. asking if it improves or takes my sound in a new direction. I think the last RE I tried was that Mars reverb but I realized it doesn't compare to something like Eventide Black Hole for weird stuff (which was ultimately my focus).

• Information