17Frames Double Dutch Audio Wrangler RE (Now in Shop)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Oct 2020

Another sleepless night trawling the internet and I came across this on 17Frames Website. Double Dutch Audio Wrangler RE...coming soon. Here's the link.

http://17frames.com/double-dutch-audio

Edit: now in the Shop: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -wrangler/
Last edited by MrFigg on 30 Oct 2020, edited 2 times in total.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Oct 2020

Oh yeah...there's a really well put together video explaining what it does and how to do it. That's always good.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

guitfnky

25 Oct 2020

kind of following what this thing is all about, but also not. 😆 very interested in trying it out regardless.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Ottostrom

25 Oct 2020

Always interested in new ways to mangle my sounds! :D
Hopefully it wont be too expensive

Loque

25 Oct 2020

Ok. Iam interested...

Looks like multi adding/multiplying waves. Would benefit from additional audio rate modulation on the back for sure...

Great video.

BTW: I was just experimenting with this one, which produces some unexpected results. Also checkout the Maths thing, to mangel your sounds in unsual ways. Maybe i should give the "Function" section in Complex-1 another try too...
https://socalabs.com/developer-tools/addinvert/
Reason12, Win10

plesio

25 Oct 2020

Hopefully there will be more possible than creating strange noise.

But it looks really promising. I would love to test it asap.
:reason: R11 Suite & R+, what else. I just love it. https://soundcloud.com/user-543016572
Ultimate mixing noob with medical certified lowpass at 9,6 kHz :(
Music is that certain noise you can remember three minutes later...and vice versa.

f3ilter
RE Developer

25 Oct 2020

plesio wrote:
25 Oct 2020
Hopefully there will be more possible than creating strange noise.

But it looks really promising. I would love to test it asap.
So the patches skew to my personal tastes: which is, well, strange. But I assure you the is can do a lot more than that.

plesio

26 Oct 2020

Hi f3ilter,

when you say "...strange" that sounds even more promising to me.

Strangeness is the spice in humans life, especially in music.
:reason: R11 Suite & R+, what else. I just love it. https://soundcloud.com/user-543016572
Ultimate mixing noob with medical certified lowpass at 9,6 kHz :(
Music is that certain noise you can remember three minutes later...and vice versa.

f3ilter
RE Developer

26 Oct 2020

plesio wrote:
26 Oct 2020
Hi f3ilter,

when you say "...strange" that sounds even more promising to me.

Strangeness is the spice in humans life, especially in music.
Yeah. I'm with you on that. I'm a really big fan of the whole Human thing of finding or creating something strange and just like, going with it.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Oct 2020

🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Ottostrom

30 Oct 2020

Played around with the Audio Wrangler for more than an hour and I still don't know what I'm doing!
It can be quite difficult to make it behave the way you want it to, but that's also part of the fun :)

Decided to wrangle together some of the factory soundbank loops to see if I could create something interesting and I'm pretty happy with the results. I really like how it intertwines the audio, making it hard to discern which part is from which loop.

Good job on the rack extension 17Frames! :thumbs_up:

geronimo

30 Oct 2020

At home, I don't understand its usefulness, its role: is it a small mixer, a merger ?
Where is the manual , please ?

f3ilter
RE Developer

30 Oct 2020

geronimo wrote:
30 Oct 2020
At home, I don't understand its usefulness, its role: is it a small mixer, a merger ?
Where is the manual , please ?
Hi Geronimo
Sorry, no manual yet. To get a sense of what it does, you might want to check out the included combinator patches. Also look again at the video on the shop page.
cheers
andy

guitfnky

30 Oct 2020

wow, out already, cool! probably check this one out later--really intrigued. 👍

geronimo

30 Oct 2020

Sorry but no progress for me . :oops:

guitfnky

30 Oct 2020

after playing around with it for a bit, I can only say I'm more confused than I was even watching the videos. I feel like there's probably some really interesting stuff underneath the surface here, but I can't actually get at any of it. the combinator patches sound great, but all of my confusion resides within the device, so I still can't figure out what's actually going on once the audio is inside it. trying to put my own sounds through it is really only resulting in a distorted mess when I get anything going at all.

I really think this one needs a manual in order for it to be useful. I get the concept behind it, but finding useful settings has only been frustrating so far--I can't tell if that's because of the nature of the sources I'm using (so far, a bunch of guitars, vocals, and bass), or I'm just really that bad at dialing this thing in.

I hope there's a manual soon so I can give it a proper go before my trial runs out. like I said, it is very intriguing--I just can't seem to get anything useful out of it.

Noiserunner

31 Oct 2020

It sounds so good in the demos, so I immediately bought it.
I am now very confused, too and think I was too fast.
The layout and the visual control of the parameters of the instrument are not intuitive in my opinion. I don‘t know, what I am doing and the only thing I can reproduce are extreme crackling sounds.
(MacBook Pro 13", some soft- and hardware)

f3ilter
RE Developer

31 Oct 2020

Ok. So I know what its like when you have something new and it requires something of a learning curve. I understand your frustrations.
To best of my ability, I will give some tips about its use.
1: when in doubt, leave all the levels and particularly the offsets in the 12 o'clock position. Make sure that the ALT switch is off.
2: the C level and offset should stay at the 12 o'clock position almost always (otherwise this is usually the source of the crackling you are talking about: sometimes I like this effect, which is why i kept it in)
3: Start simple. If A and B lines are lower notes/sound waves, then there is more room for the C wave to work if. The C line is great for adding higher and more complex waves. Often they add excellent overtones to the A/B inputs.

Overall
The best way think about this device is like a Blending mode in Photoshop. It's a different way of mixing audio signals together. And just like with blending modes, the results you get are often about the type of material you are blending together. Somethings work better then others and you kind of have to experiment with them for a while to understand when to use what.

Ps
If you want to see what the device is doing to the sound waves, then download/trial the DoubleDutch CV Wrangler see what it does to three input waves, what happens when you change them, or use the alt, scale and offset knobs. This will

• Information