FREE Update for ABL3! Hi res fix and improved audio engine

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
BananaSkins

03 Nov 2021

Wait for BF sale; this paid update will be half-price! :puf_bigsmile:

Skullture

03 Nov 2021

I'm fine with a small update fee. The dev had to work on this.
There are way more unfair deals in the music industry (looking at mainstream techno djs :) )

A dev that works on its software that I like always has my support

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 Nov 2021

Skullture wrote:
03 Nov 2021
There are way more unfair deals in the music industry (looking at mainstream techno djs :) )

A dev who releases buggy software and then charges for fixing it does not have my support.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Skullture

03 Nov 2021

MrFigg wrote:
03 Nov 2021
Skullture wrote:
03 Nov 2021

A dev who releases buggy software and then charges for fixing it does not have my support.
I'm keen to know what bothered you about it that was so "buggy"? Are you refering to the clicks?

BRIGGS

03 Nov 2021

I was on the fence about getting this one. I liked ABL2 better for it's more simple interface. So glad I didn't buy now.

I can make acid with almost any synth now...and... acid sounds awesome with moogish ladder filters...see: Monotone, Grain, Thor, Europa, Sweeper+Subtractor, Complex-1, etc....

ABL3 is just a cool emulation, and not really needed.
r11s

BRIGGS

03 Nov 2021

BananaSkins wrote:
03 Nov 2021
Wait for BF sale; this paid update will be half-price! :puf_bigsmile:
r11s

DaveyG

03 Nov 2021

Paid update for this is taking the piss imo.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 Nov 2021

Skullture wrote:
03 Nov 2021
MrFigg wrote:
03 Nov 2021

I'm keen to know what bothered you about it that was so "buggy"? Are you refering to the clicks?
Yes.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EnochLight

03 Nov 2021

I love Audio Realism stuff and Mike is a really cool guy, but $9 for what amounts to a bug fix and hi-res graphics is a hard pass for me.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

joeyluck

03 Nov 2021

To be clear, this is not just a bug fix, but an audio engine improvement to the best 303 emulation out there.

Also, we have not heard from Mike here yet, so everybody please chill out :)

BRIGGS

03 Nov 2021

joeyluck wrote:
03 Nov 2021
so everybody please chill out :)
ok

r11s

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 Nov 2021

BRIGGS wrote:
03 Nov 2021
joeyluck wrote:
03 Nov 2021
so everybody please chill out :)
ok

Ok
Attachments
0344C3EC-6F23-43F3-808C-6AA499344001.jpeg
0344C3EC-6F23-43F3-808C-6AA499344001.jpeg (151.93 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 Nov 2021

joeyluck wrote:
03 Nov 2021
Also, we have not heard from Mike here yet, so everybody please chill out :)
Bump!!!
Still chillin' man. Still chillin'.
Attachments
38CA36C6-670B-4409-875B-B17C98B996A9.jpeg
38CA36C6-670B-4409-875B-B17C98B996A9.jpeg (152.29 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Neo

04 Nov 2021

Perhaps this is encouraging people to go VST next time. ^Ok.. #chillin'
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

rorystorm

04 Nov 2021

I use this device on probably 2/3rds of my tracks. I have no problem with putting some $$$ towards the dev because well shit. We all live in suckful late capitalist societies and a girl's gotta eat. Devs give me the tools I use to do music I like making so I have the responsibility to support them and money is the only way available to do it.

rorystorm

04 Nov 2021

also, just to note it came up as a free update for me. So.......

MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 Nov 2021

Just passing the time.
Attachments
88A2C793-2F1E-449A-923B-3CC5EB14E5D0.jpeg
88A2C793-2F1E-449A-923B-3CC5EB14E5D0.jpeg (153.95 KiB) Viewed 1235 times
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

mike^audiorealism
RE Developer

04 Nov 2021

Hi Guys,
Mike from Audiorealism here.

Indeed the $9 upgrade price was a mistake on my part. I simply copied the last shop page we submitted, updated the screenshots but the upgrade price got stuck with it. I have submitted a new page without the upgrade price. Please note that it is ReasonS that approves the pages, if they don't want to deal with the added support of chargebacks for the handful of users that bought the upgrade, it's up to them.

Some notes that come to mind from reading this thread though:
- a lot of work did go in to the latest audio engines. We develop these in VST first and then there is work to port them and keep them in sync with the Rack Extension. That means if you want us to keep developing REs I don't think it would be a bad thing to contribute to the hard work that goes into them.
- The bitmap portion of ABL3 was upgraded automatically when Reason 12 added support for HD interfaces. ABL3 RE uses custom displays which are largely code driven to render the display, with a bitmap background that was not automatically converted. This took some work and troubleshooting to figure out, and I had to ask an external developer who kindly helped out with this.

If you want to contribute buy one of his rack extensions:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... generator/

This once in incidentally 10 euros, I'm sure he would enjoy a coffee or dinner on you.

- Someone mentioned a "quick money grab" or something along those lines. I think the testers can attest to that I took time off another project to update ABL3 RE, which means that other project lost hours. Even if I charged $25 for the upgrade I still wouldn't have made enough to cover the costs. You may have a too high expectation what we earn versus the work we put into these things. While certainly I want to update products that users enjoy we live in a market place with economic obligations, that means we need to charge for our work or else it will likely not be done at all.

- I read some concerned about developers leaving the RE platform. Not paying developers for the work they contribute to the platform doesn't help there.

- You can contribute in a multitude of ways, not just by buying products. You can do video tutorials, example tracks, graphics suggestions, whatever your talent is. Most developers appreciate receiving that stuff, I know I certainly do..!

Umm that's all I can think of right now... go make some banging tracks now!!

Mike / Audiorealism
Last edited by mike^audiorealism on 04 Nov 2021, edited 2 times in total.

ekss
RE Developer

04 Nov 2021

MrFigg wrote:
04 Nov 2021
Just passing the time.
Nailed it!

joeyluck

04 Nov 2021

mike^audiorealism wrote:
04 Nov 2021
Hi Guys,
Mike from Audiorealism here.

Indeed the $9 upgrade price was a mistake on my part. I simply copied the last shop page we submitted, updated the screenshots but the upgrade price got stuck with it. I have submitted a new page without the upgrade price. Please note that it is ReasonS that approves the pages, if they don't want to deal with the added support of chargebacks for the handful of users that bought the upgrade, it's up to them.

Some notes that come to mind from reading this thread though:
- a lot of work did go in to the latest audio engines. We develop these in VST first and then there is work to port them and keep them in sync with the Rack Extension. That means if you want us to keep developing REs I don't think it would be a bad thing to contribute to the hard work that goes into them.
- The bitmap portion of ABL3 was upgraded automatically when Reason 12 added support for HD interfaces. ABL3 RE uses custom displays which are largely code driven to render the display, with a bitmap background that was not automatically converted. This took some work and troubleshooting to figure out, and I had to ask an external developer who kindly helped out with this.

If you want to contribute buy one of his rack extensions:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... generator/

This once in incidentally 10 euros, I'm sure he would enjoy a coffee or dinner on you.

- Someone mentioned a "quick money grab" or something along those lines. I think the testers can attest to that I took time off another project to update ABL3 RE, which means that other project lost hours. Even if I charged $25 for the upgrade I still wouldn't have made enough to cover the costs. You may have a too high expectation what we earn versus the work we put into these things. While certainly I want to update products that users enjoy we live in a market place with economic obligations, that means we need to charge for our work or else it will likely not be done at all.

- I read some concerned about developers leaving the RE platform. Not paying developers for the work they contribute to the platform doesn't help there.

- You can contribute in a multitude of ways, not just by buying products. You can do video tutorials, example tracks, graphics suggestions, whatever your talent is. Most developers appreciate receiving that stuff, I know I certainly do..!

Umm that's all I can think of right now... go make some banging tracks now!!

Mike / Audiorealism
Thanks Mike!

Really appreciate everything you do! This is one of my favorite REs! I'll always remember that ABL3 debuted as a RE and that was very cool!!🤘 With ABL being so popular and highly regarded, it was one of the biggest stories informing people of the RE format.

ekss
RE Developer

04 Nov 2021

mike^audiorealism wrote:
04 Nov 2021

Indeed the $9 upgrade price was a mistake on my part. I simply copied the last shop page we submitted, updated the screenshots but the upgrade price got stuck with it.
Just like I suspected, a miss to change the upgrade price in the backend. I still got the update, ABL3 is totally worth a few bucks every now and then if still maintained and updated in RE format..!

Cheers Mike!

mike^audiorealism
RE Developer

04 Nov 2021

Just a quick question: we had some requests to add Slide out to the CV outputs. If or when we add this feature, would you consider that an upgrade worth paying for?

ScuzzyEye

04 Nov 2021

mike^audiorealism wrote:
04 Nov 2021
Oh hey, that's me. :puf_smile: It was my pleasure to lend a hand. Happy to see the update in the shop, and that you got that upgrade price figured out. Same thing happened to me when I released an update, checked a wrong box or something. But in that case RS actually asked me, "are you sure that's what you meant?" before publishing the store page.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 Nov 2021

mike^audiorealism wrote:
04 Nov 2021
Just a quick question: we had some requests to add Slide out to the CV outputs. If or when we add this feature, would you consider that an upgrade worth paying for?
Yep. I would in any case. Added feature. :)
Ps. Glad it only “seemed” like a cash grab but was just a mistake. Great RE :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

mike^audiorealism
RE Developer

04 Nov 2021

MrFigg wrote:
04 Nov 2021
mike^audiorealism wrote:
04 Nov 2021
Yep. I would in any case. Added feature. :)
Ps. Glad it only “seemed” like a cash grab but was just a mistake. Great RE :)
It was an honest mistake. But after reading this thread I almost convinced myself to keep the upgrade price. But since Scuzzeye's work went into it also I decided not to.

Glad you like the RE!

• Information