"metallic" / "stretch" / "filter"

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
integerpoet

27 Aug 2022

Europa has a "stretch" filter which can be used to make a waveform sound metallic.

This filter only exists as a waveform math thing internal to Europa; it doesn't take rendered digital audio as input. And Europa doesn't have inputs anyway.

Nevertheless, I would like an effect which does something like that.

The problem at hand is a sound made by running a guitar through a pedal synth configured to make the input signal sound like a steel drum. I have the resulting audio.

The effect kinda worked, apparently, but it could sound more… ahem… metal. In the materials sense, not in the genre sense. :puf_smile:

I imagine if I knew more about sound design and/or DSP I might be to cobble something together myself in a combinator, but I'd rather have an RE.

Any ideas?

crimsonwarlock

28 Aug 2022

-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

turn2on
RE Developer

28 Aug 2022

Freq shifters helps to sound more like metallic sound or dissonant, may be like FM-sound.
Check in RE shop freq shifters:
Now from kHearts freq shifter is free. Also you can try our HarmBode Frequency shifter

integerpoet

28 Aug 2022

Thanks all!

Once I learned what category I needed to be in, I stumbled across this, already installed:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... y-shifter/

I used it with a wet/dry utility to mix in just a little dissonance for a bit more authenticity.

Harpuia

30 Aug 2022

There's also always adding a short (<60ms) delay and playing with the frequency and mix. It can get unruly, but it is a fun technique to play around with.

I really like DDL-1 for this, it's just so simple and nice.

turn2on
RE Developer

30 Aug 2022

As I remember, STRETCH in Europa is not a filter (Filter Section can be OFFm but Harmony section is ON), its a frequency harmoniser option. If read manual deeper, you can read that harmonise engine work with partitions of signal. So, in EUROPA synth, it is more like a granular freq shifter, that work with granules, and for each voice of synth personally.
So, just using any Frequency Shifter - its absolutely not the same in functional way: no work with individual voices, no work with granules / partitions (but near for output end signal post processing). So, you just exclude work with voices and granules if using this.

So.. better way to have something near (without individual voices support, because you can repeat part of work with voices of synth), you simply can use Granular delay device (few instances) and use for all of them in parallel chain freq shifters.

As I understand with our devices:
- Basic Incoming signal ->
-> AudioSplit to copy signal in 3 instances
-> route 3 copies to Granular delay FX individually (can be GrainShift device)
-> route processed signals to Freq Shifters.
-> mix them linear or may be as Crossover 3-band Fx mutations.

It is what about I think how to do anything near to Harmonize part of Europa.

PS:
Using small delay for various time-based effects is a real standard, main FXs can be:
- Flanger (1.25-2.5 ms),
- Chorus (5-20 ms),
- Doubler (20-80 ms),
- Echo (80 - 320 ms).
.. etc... its not all range of FX with time delay. On various signals it work in various ways. Somebody as example can select 1-10ms for metallic FX.

eXode

31 Aug 2022

Have you tried experimenting with Parsec? Parsec has some similar stuff and it does have audio in for processing (like a vocoder). If you have Parsec that is.

Away from computer atm, so it's all from my head. :)

• Information