Someone talk me through Scale Matrix

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
dvdrtldg

19 Jun 2023

I've been tempted to buy it for ages - trialled it long ago and then hardly got a chance to play with it, so I'm a little mystified about exactly what it does. Or at least, I've watched the videos and got a sense of how it works, what I'm wondering is how people fit it into their composition process

Is it just a beefed-up and feature-rich version of Scales and Chords or Inspiral? Like, you set it up and play MIDI into it, and it converts your MIDI into whatever scales you've dialled in (with fun stuff like lag, probability etc)? If that's basically what it is, then I probably don't need it. But I'd be interested to know what others think

Vil
RE Developer

23 Jun 2023

Im the dev of this device, so Im of course biased. But Im trying to give you few points what could be interesting in ScaleMatrix.

Over the obvious things (customizable velocities, lags(delays), probabilities, 7 configuration for switching easily etc....)

ScaleMatrix has no dirty little secrets, how it makes the chords. You can control the chords deeply.

Scales and Chords is a really good device for creating good sounding chord progressions quickly. It makes this job really good and sometimes it is cheating for achieving this goal. For example you cant play diminished chord with the Scales and Chords, because in most of context this chord is ugly, Scales and Chords just plays another (inversion) chord instead of this chord.

With ScaleMatrix you can create your own custom chords on your own custom scales.

If you want to take explorations in the realm of harmonies ScaleMatrix is a good guide.

And it also has a very large scale database (hundreds of scales). I think exploring these scales is a really good adventure ;)

I learned a lot about music, not only while making the device, but also while using the device. All to this day.

dvdrtldg

23 Jun 2023

Vil wrote:
23 Jun 2023
Im the dev of this device, so Im of course biased. But Im trying to give you few points what could be interesting in ScaleMatrix.
Thanks for the reply! I bought it yesterday, it's fantastic. As I expected, it has its design roots in something like Scales & Chords but takes the concept a thousand miles further. My new favourite player (along with Pearls and ChordLine)

• Information