Record Chord Sequencer From Reason into Logic

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ADoubleJ

06 Dec 2023

Hello,

I'm pretty sure I saw that is a way to record notes from a chord sequencer into logic by flipping the rack and doing some type of midi out record but I can't seem to get it to work. Has anyone had any success with this? I like to use the chord sequencer in reason and just have it record the midi data into logic.

dvdrtldg

06 Dec 2023

Paging huggermugger, huggermugger to the Information Desk please

huggermugger

06 Dec 2023

I'm uploading an updated video.

ADoubleJ

06 Dec 2023

The video was removed by the uploader.

huggermugger

06 Dec 2023

Sorry here's a revised one. The other one was old and problematic.

Apple recently added a MIDI FX recording utility to Logic, though it can only do realtime recording. No "send to track" feature or draggable MIDI. Here's how that new feature works. This is for Players and other Reason sequencey things that generate note data from scratch. I'll soon upload one for Players that process incoming MIDI track data, like Arpeggiators.

ADoubleJ

06 Dec 2023

Thank you. Are you adding the Midi instrument to the Instrument section on the track? For some reason, I'm following your directions but when I select "Record Midi Here" on the Midi FX track I get 2 yellow arrows on each side and when I hit record like you did in the video the midi doesn't record.

huggermugger

06 Dec 2023

Here's how you do it with Players that rely on existing track data, e.g. DualArp used like this. It's a MIDI loopback thru the IAC Bus.

Last edited by huggermugger on 06 Dec 2023, edited 2 times in total.

huggermugger

06 Dec 2023

ADoubleJ wrote:
06 Dec 2023
Thank you. Are you adding the Midi instrument to the Instrument section on the track? For some reason, I'm following your directions but when I select "Record Midi Here" on the Midi FX track I get 2 yellow arrows on each side and when I hit record like you did in the video the midi doesn't record.
It's all done in the one track. The Player generates note data to trigger the string sound, and 'Record Midi Here' just captures it as it passes thru. I'm not sure what you might be doing wrong.

Make sure you've armed the track by selecting it.

ADoubleJ

06 Dec 2023

Thank you! I notice you are using the plays from Reason but not using the sounds from it under the players.

huggermugger

06 Dec 2023

ADoubleJ wrote:
06 Dec 2023
Thank you! I notice you are using the plays from Reason but not using the sounds from it under the players.
Yes, but if I wanted to use a Reason synth, I'd put the RRP into the Audio Input for the track and put the instrument there. In this case, I'm doing what I mostly do which is to drive Logic devices or 3rd party AUs from a Player, all in the Logic workspace. It's a much better workflow for me.

ADoubleJ

06 Dec 2023

NEVER MIND! I figured it out and your videos HELPED A LOT! This has been killing me since last week!

huggermugger

06 Dec 2023

ADoubleJ wrote:
06 Dec 2023
NEVER MIND! I figured it out and your videos HELPED A LOT! This has been killing me since last week!
Glad to hear it :)

• Information