Kompulsion Manual Missing

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Jackjackdaw

04 Jan 2024

The link to the manual for Kompulsion on the product page is dead. Could someone share it with me please?

waxwingslain

08 Jan 2024

While we're talking about Kompulsion, can someone tell me how to record the audio output of a Kompulsion sequencer Combinator? I'm a Reason newbie, and I can hear the pattern I made running and it's making exactly the sound I want, but when I hit record there's nothing there. Maybe tell me how to route the track to an audio track? I've tried Direct Record and it doesn't seem to do anything.

challism

08 Jan 2024

waxwingslain wrote:
08 Jan 2024
While we're talking about Kompulsion, can someone tell me how to record the audio output of a Kompulsion sequencer Combinator? I'm a Reason newbie, and I can hear the pattern I made running and it's making exactly the sound I want, but when I hit record there's nothing there. Maybe tell me how to route the track to an audio track? I've tried Direct Record and it doesn't seem to do anything.
Kompulsion is a MIDI player, so it doesn't make sound on its own; it plays MIDI notes (which are silent). Those notes are fed to the instrument below it and the instrument makes the sound. I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to do, but if you are trying to write Kompulsion's MIDI notes to a sequencer track, you first have to arm the instrument, not the player. But it will be a MIDI track, not an audio track.

If you want to record the audio from the instrument, you can do so by hooking up the control room out to the audio sampling input on the back of the rack's mastering section. Open a sampler (Mimic, Grain, NNXT, etc). Solo the Kompulsion driven instrument and record it to the sampler by clicking the "start sampling" button near the sample browser of the sampler.
0.png
0.png (665.07 KiB) Viewed 6786 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Jackjackdaw

09 Jan 2024

You can record the audio to the sequencer as well by creating a new audio track and selecting the source instrument channel as a record source (little blue button on right hand side of mix channel in the rack) then selecting the instrument from the drop down in the destination mix channel.

challism

09 Jan 2024

Jackjackdaw wrote:
09 Jan 2024
You can record the audio to the sequencer as well by creating a new audio track and selecting the source instrument channel as a record source (little blue button on right hand side of mix channel in the rack) then selecting the instrument from the drop down in the destination mix channel.
Yes, good call. This method doesn't require any audio cable routing on the back of the master section. And you can just record right to the sequencer audio track.
00.png
00.png (365.73 KiB) Viewed 6756 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Jackjackdaw

09 Jan 2024

I’m not sure if the midi from the player will record by arming the instrument track. I think you either have to send the pattern to track with the button at the top of the player or create a pattern lane in the sequencer, draw in the patterns you want as clips and then right click and bounce to midi

waxwingslain

09 Jan 2024

Thank you all for the help. What I started with in Kompulsion was one of the Generative Music setups that came with Kompulsion. It's a Combinator that already has a Europa synth as one module. I selected it out of the Rack Extensions. When I hit play, it makes a great sound and I've mapped some of the buttons so I can change some paremeters on the fly. No matter which record button I arm, no sound is being recorded and if I Export to an audio file, it's blank.

I'm very happy to have found this Reason forum. I'm surprised at how quickly you have reached out to help. Pardon my clumsiness with English.

• Information