Need some help

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
LT85

19 Mar 2017

Hi guys

New here.

Was hoping somebody on here could help me out. I recently found an old beat of mine. I don't have the original files, only a mp3. So I started recreating the beat from scratch. I'm not very good at sound design, so I was wondering if a friendly soul could help me recreate the lead synth.

I have attached a small sample to go by. It's the lead, not the arpeggiated chords.

Also, I don't have any rack extensions, so only out of the box reason products. Fx Thor.

LT
Attachments
Synth example.mp3
(87.13 KiB) Downloaded 90 times

OldGoat

20 Mar 2017

If you have R9, try the following:

Convert the example to wav, import this into Reason, then right-click this new track in the sequencer and select "Bounce" and then the last option "Bounce to midi" (or something like this, do not have Reason in the office...).

The result is a new midi-track based on the audio, that should help.

LT85

21 Mar 2017

Hi.

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to recreate the sound, not the melody, which, I think, is what you're talking about.

Benedict
Competition Winner

21 Mar 2017

I'm really not sure what you used but I would say that the lead is very distorted so perhaps start with something versatile like Thor (or maybe Malstrom) and work with drives in Scream.

BTW I am a firm believer that when something is lost then any attempt to recreate has to be something new or I am working into a trap (and not of the sub-genre kind) so allow this remake to be different to give life the freedom to express as it wants to now.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

JNeffLind

22 Mar 2017

Benedict wrote:I'm really not sure what you used but I would say that the lead is very distorted so perhaps start with something versatile like Thor (or maybe Malstrom) and work with drives in Scream.

BTW I am a firm believer that when something is lost then any attempt to recreate has to be something new or I am working into a trap (and not of the sub-genre kind) so allow this remake to be different to give life the freedom to express as it wants to now.

:)
This is good advice I think. I'm always upset when I "lose" something and have to re-do it, but usually it ends up coming out better the second time.

LT85

24 Mar 2017

Thank you for the advice. And yes, it will proably never be the original :-) But as you say, it just might turn out better.

• Information