3 New Softphonics Refills coming in May

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
PurpleMonkeyDishes

01 Jun 2016

Dante wrote:After having a great deal of trouble decompressing the JupitRE Octo refill - (Propellerhead told me to try a 'different' unzipper - without making any specific recommendation - where SoftPhonics support told me to try WinRAR) I finally sussed it out and got it done.

According to SoftPhonics 'WinRAR' is what the professionals use. I would think that adding a note somewhere on the props product page for this refill to the effect that WinRAR is recommended would also be a 'professional' thing to do. The user manual on SoftPhonics website says you must 'Unzip/UnRar' the contents - whereas it seems 'UnZip' wont work (probably due the size).

Nonetheless, having quickly surfed the main presets for this beast I must say I am pleased. I will indeed use it where I think a Jupiter 8 substitute would fit. It does have a more analog sound/feel and will provide a break from the kind of 'digital' analog I have been using. I am also pleased that the samples are of 24 bit x 48KHz resolution.

Well done SoftPhonics - next I will try your Rickenbass

I remember having a similar issue with a different refill from a different developer.
I learned afterwards that some utilities are more stable than others.

WinRAR is most certainly the best for detailed archives especially ones holding large amounts of audio.
Music is everything

PurpleMonkeyDishwasher

Yonatan

01 Jun 2016

Got Rockenbacker but keeping an eye on one of these...
Just have run our of storage on laptop hd so need to do some cleansing in my reason folder.

Softphonics

04 Jun 2016

Hey Guys,

Looking for a bit of help.
Been getting pretty abusive mail from the following Username. thoms101

Apparently bought one of our product via Propellerhead (Jupitre Octo - 7GB in Size)

But because he has a slow internet connection, it ALL our fault.

Its kind of like buying a new table from furniture shop, but then realising you cant get it home because your car is really small, so you email the factory that made the table to abuse them for making a table bigger than your car??

You see what I mean.....

Anyway... Does anyone know who this fruitcake is?
Last edited by Softphonics on 05 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.
------
Serious Sound For Serious Producers :reason:
http://www.Softphonics.com

decibel

04 Jun 2016

this is where props need to take some responsibility seeing as they made the sale, they should just burn it onto some cheap dvds or a thumb drive and send it out to the idiot and tell him no to bother purchasing anything else from the shop until he has access to a modern internet connection. or just offer a refund and cancel the download link if thats possible ? etc.

bitley

04 Jun 2016

Softphonics wrote:Hey Guys,

Looking for a bit of help.
Been getting pretty abusive mail from the following email. ////

Apparently bought one of our product via Propellerhead (Jupitre Octo - 7GB in Size)

But because he has a slow internet connection, it ALL our fault.

Its kind of like buying a new table from furniture shop, but then realising you cant get it home because your car is really small, so you email the factory that made the table to abuse them for making a table bigger than your car??

You see what I mean.....

Anyway... Does anyone know who this fruitcake is?

Quite frankly, dear fellow refill provider, did you take time to think this one through? I must say I honestly don't know what you think your choice of posting something like this should lead to. I don't know anything about your age or worklife experience but friend, listen carefully. These. Are fundamental. Basics.

Never. Ever. Should you allow yourself to even think badly about a customer.

Dealing with it:

Coffee, tea or whatever your choice of beverage, a bit of fresh air or a fun phonecall to a friend should put me in a better mood — if I, on a rare occasion on a very rainy day — would ever feel the slightest bit upset about some support email or message.

You must begin your work with replying to a case by completely forgiving and excusing your customer for being upset.

If you are getting an email with a business related issue, your only mission must be solving this, and you can not normally ever blame your customer for anything really.

In this case, you state your customer says he or she cannot proceed with downloading.

People may occasionly have a lack of computer knowledge or they might even have unsufficient technical resources, but you can solve that in many different ways. For instance: You can even ask the customer for a few bucks extra, if necessary, to cover for a USB stick or DVD and send the product by regular mail, if the customer claims the download procedure really is totally impossible. Or you can possibly also come up with alternative digital solutions, such as suggesting or recommending a different download route or routine. Ask questions if necessary. Wifi network, bad performance? 5 Ghz wifi possible or ethernet cable connection to the router possible? Etc etc.

Even more importantly, I would definitely never ever publish or share anyone's private email address online.

And certainly, I would not publicly pinpoint a customer in any negative way whatsoever.

Go for your favourite beverage, grab a bit of fruitcake for yourself and put a smile on your face: Here's the deal: Someone actually bought something! Treat this person right and do what you can do to bring the happy smile back to your customer's face.

Softphonics

05 Jun 2016

bitley™ wrote:

Quite frankly, dear fellow refill provider, did you take time to think this one through? I must say I honestly don't know what you think your choice of posting something like this should lead to. I don't know anything about your age or worklife experience but friend, listen carefully. These. Are fundamental. Basics.

Never. Ever. Should you allow yourself to even think badly about a customer.

Dealing with it:

Coffee, tea or whatever your choice of beverage, a bit of fresh air or a fun phonecall to a friend should put me in a better mood — if I, on a rare occasion on a very rainy day — would ever feel the slightest bit upset about some support email or message.

You must begin your work with replying to a case by completely forgiving and excusing your customer for being upset.

If you are getting an email with a business related issue, your only mission must be solving this, and you can not normally ever blame your customer for anything really.

In this case, you state your customer says he or she cannot proceed with downloading.

People may occasionly have a lack of computer knowledge or they might even have unsufficient technical resources, but you can solve that in many different ways. For instance: You can even ask the customer for a few bucks extra, if necessary, to cover for a USB stick or DVD and send the product by regular mail, if the customer claims the download procedure really is totally impossible. Or you can possibly also come up with alternative digital solutions, such as suggesting or recommending a different download route or routine. Ask questions if necessary. Wifi network, bad performance? 5 Ghz wifi possible or ethernet cable connection to the router possible? Etc etc.

Even more importantly, I would definitely never ever publish or share anyone's private email address online.

And certainly, I would not publicly pinpoint a customer in any negative way whatsoever.

Go for your favourite beverage, grab a bit of fruitcake for yourself and put a smile on your face: Here's the deal: Someone actually bought something! Treat this person right and do what you can do to bring the happy smile back to your customer's face.

Hey Bitley,

Thanks for the input, but I have already done all of the thing you suggest! I was really nice and helpful but all i get in return is abuse.
I offered to send him a dvd version etc.. even though the sale was via propellerhead.
So while I didn't get into the nitty gritty in my first post, believe me I value every customer and treat them like kings, This went beyond that.

I personally treat every customer like a god, so much so that I regularly get complimented on it. So I guess in your reply you are assuming that I have not bothered with these things.
So just to be clear I have done all of those things you suggest, I dedicated my day yesterday to trying to help this person as I know propellerhead (Where he bought it) would not reply to him on a Saturday

This customer even told us he would be ranking the product 1 star because of his poor internet connection. Hardly fair or right in relation to the actual refill ....

So in short, II have been through all the motions, I have bent over backwards to help / assist , but nothing I say or do is good enough. This customer is not thinking straight and I have really tried hard with him/her.

Coming here for advice was a last resort, believe me!

Posting the email address is my only way of finding out who the customer is and allow me to sort out their problem. I have not shared the content of the emails.
My age of experience should not come into it, I am a very experienced older male who loves to help people out. I can't stress that enough. I think you have the wrong picture of the situation Bitley, but thanks for the effort regardless.

Cheers
Last edited by Softphonics on 05 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.
------

snowcattt

05 Jun 2016

I have supported both these developers - Bitley helped me before when I screwed up, and Rob & Andy at Softphonics BENT OVER BACKWARDS to provide me with help when I couldn't make my .rar attachments open. I knew their patience with me would wear thin, but I was frustrated myself, and they came in from all angles to make the files work.

This just to say thanks to Softphonics again for keeping it together and exercising over-and-above patience. (turns out I only had 12gb available, and his download took 7gb...when I made 15gb available, the .rar opened perfectly)

I'm sure both of you reach your limits some days, but I encourage you to press on, and I hope your sales go through the roof.
That is all.
Invent the life you want to live.

PurpleMonkeyDishes

05 Jun 2016

I can vouch for that too, I found softphonics to be extremely helpful, even sent me a disk version at their own expense when I had trouble with a large download, So from my experience I would imagine that every avenue was tested before posting this here. I know you are also a similar developer Bitley, Andy at Softphonics is a very helpful, calm, knowledgeable person to assist anyone IMHO.
Music is everything

PurpleMonkeyDishwasher

bitley

05 Jun 2016

Ok! :-)

A tip might also be calling the complainer, much easier to reach understanding via phone / Skype sometimes. :-)

Softphonics

05 Jun 2016

bitley™ wrote:Ok! :-)

A tip might also be calling the complainer, much easier to reach understanding via phone / Skype sometimes. :-)
Yes I agree, That is one reason I turned to the forum as I have no name or details, just a username because he bought via propellerhead.
I have literally no way to contact the buyer and they wont reply to the rant filled emails that are being sent to us.. So it's a strange situation. So unique in fact that I turned to you guys for advice!

Thanks
------

bitley

05 Jun 2016

Ok! I hope you can solve it. Countries like for instance Germany, France, Japan and Italy are largely based on pretty much solely native communication and one never knows what could end up on such forums etc. I have the same very worries sometimes, where cases of "lost in translation" might have turned into misunderstandings and rants; who knows.

I can also recall a few rare occasions where it's obvious the customer writes in another language and uses Google Translate (etc) to bring it all into a peculiar form of english, grabbing your own replies and turning them into a similar remix of italian or something. If it's a pretty simple issue this method can actually work pretty well but it might also turn into a modern day version of a whispering game, where you know the first person whispers like: "Apple makes cool gear" to the next person, who whispers it to the next one, and after fifteen such iterations the 16th person (or so) is supposed to say it out loud to see if it worked and goes: "Apples are tasty fruits but where is my computer?"... ;)

Dante

05 Jun 2016

May I make the suggestion of offering the JupitRe download in parts. I notice for example that it has 2 sample refills, then a master refill. Each of the 2 big refills could be a separate download so possibly easier to manage.

Now regards the DX7 refill, I was one of the first buyers of the original DX7 - in fact mine had a rare 4 digit serial number and was amongst the first batch imported into Australia. To me it sounded pristine at the time but in later years I had a third party mod done to the output circuitry which 'cleaned it up' a bit and I could tell the difference.

With soft versions, they are even cleaner so basically, I view this as a positive progression incl. Yamaha's own PLG150DX board, DAS F07 and Propheads own PX7, which has all of the original ROM presets (some of which I have programmed from scratch using different algorithms on the Scope DSP platform). Sampling of an original (unmodified) DX7 from that perspective doesn't seem to add up to me other than the price point. E.G. I would buy this if I did not want to shell out the full price for PX7.

JupitRE on the other hand - makes perfect sense to me and is a winner of a product, especially in the absence of an up priced circuit modelled RE.

Softphonics

06 Jun 2016

Dante wrote:May I make the suggestion of offering the JupitRe download in parts. I notice for example that it has 2 sample refills, then a master refill. Each of the 2 big refills could be a separate download so possibly easier to manage.

Hi, Thanks for the input. We have no control over Propellerhead's decisions like that. They chose to zip it all into one download probably for convenience.
------

Softphonics

06 Jun 2016

bitley™ wrote:Ok! I hope you can solve it. Countries like for instance Germany, France, Japan and Italy are largely based on pretty much solely native communication and one never knows what could end up on such forums etc. I have the same very worries sometimes, where cases of "lost in translation" might have turned into misunderstandings and rants; who knows.

I can also recall a few rare occasions where it's obvious the customer writes in another language and uses Google Translate (etc) to bring it all into a peculiar form of english, grabbing your own replies and turning them into a similar remix of italian or something. If it's a pretty simple issue this method can actually work pretty well but it might also turn into a modern day version of a whispering game, where you know the first person whispers like: "Apple makes cool gear" to the next person, who whispers it to the next one, and after fifteen such iterations the 16th person (or so) is supposed to say it out loud to see if it worked and goes: "Apples are tasty fruits but where is my computer?"... ;)

LOL.... That pretty much sums it up, I love how you have put this! Brilliant :lol:
------

dustmoses

17 Jun 2016

Just bought Jupiter Octo via paypal, how long does it usually take for download link from softphonics?

edit: Got it, took about a half hour. Like they say on the site, don't panic.

• Information