3 New Softphonics Refills coming in May

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
snowcattt

26 Apr 2016

From a Softphonics email I received (http://www.softphonics.com):
=====================

Dear Softphonics Customer
As you are on our special treatment list we thought we would give you a 'heads up'
Music Production History Is Coming To The Rack!
May 2016 will see the release of the first three refills from the HardwaRe Series at Propellerhead.

JunRe 1zero6
RE7-DXfm
JupitRe Octo

We however are going to be releasing them a little bit earlier for our favorite producer customers, So if you are getting this email it means you are super cool!
Each refill will be at a special money saving introductory price for the remaining days in April via our own Webstore from Midnight on 28th April to May 1st.
The 3 refills combined contain a whopping 36GB of data!
Delivered in refill format of just under 7GB each

Here is what they look like

Youtube Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnpYcqp ... e=youtu.be

There is plenty of extra information on our website including content etc..
Don't forget to tell your reason buddies that you knew first!

Best Regards
The Team
Softphonics
Invent the life you want to live.

Benedict
Competition Winner

26 Apr 2016

I do so hope they sound better than the demo. That splatty thing could be made with anything, esp Fruity Loops :tihi:

If it can sound like this real Jupiter 8 track then I am interested

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

eusti

26 Apr 2016

I have to say, I'm a bit surprised... No link to the website in either email nor the youtube description...

D.

joeyluck

26 Apr 2016

Interesting choice to do a sample-based DX7 ReFill...
We have the best DX7 emulation in Reason! I would think it would be best to make a ReFill using the PX7 which leaves the user with much more flexibility (and smaller hit on storage space). Unless I'm misunderstanding what it is...

Will keep an eye out for the Jupiter 8 ReFill though!

Softphonics

27 Apr 2016

Benedict

The track in the video is just background music. The actual refills are showcased in a different demo..
When you say "a Real jupiter 8 track" well we used a real jupiter 8! .... Don't know how more "real" we can get

Joey

We do have Px7, but the focus of these refills is on the "Actual factory soundbank" that comes with these hardware synths "out of the box"
It is a very different thing to a softsynth based on a hardsynth for sound creation.
This is an emulation

Not sure what you mean about the naming?

Anyone else got any questions?
Any positive input?
------
Serious Sound For Serious Producers :reason:
http://www.Softphonics.com

SunSetCity

27 Apr 2016

Softphonics wrote:We do have Px7, but the focus of these refills is on the "Actual factory soundbank" that comes with these hardware synths "out of the box" It is a very different thing to a softsynth based on a hardsynth for sound creation. This is an emulation
What do you mean by that? I thought the factory soundbank presets from the DX7 come inside with the PX7-RE? Also we have the converter from PH to convert all the DX7-Presets buzzing around in the internet...

Or is your point that the main difference is, that these (PX7) presets are coming from an emulated synth, while your (RE7-DXfm) refill is sampled from the original hardware DX7? If yes, do samples really sound better rather than sounds from an (emulated) synth? Just asking, because I was told, that samples are always rigid, when you want to tweak them afterwards. Or is your refill different, because you use hundreds of multi-samples?

What do you think is the quality of your Roland Jupiter 106 samples in comparison to the TAL-U-NO-LX V2 emulation? Don't get me wrong, but I would love to see that developer converting his VST into RE, rather than work with inflexible samples inside a refill, to be honest... :cry:

Softphonics

27 Apr 2016

SunSetCity wrote:
Softphonics wrote:We do have Px7, but the focus of these refills is on the "Actual factory soundbank" that comes with these hardware synths "out of the box" It is a very different thing to a softsynth based on a hardsynth for sound creation. This is an emulation
What do you mean by that? I thought the factory soundbank presets from the DX7 come inside with the PX7-RE? Also we have the converter from PH to convert all the DX7-Presets buzzing around in the internet...

Or is your point that the main difference is, that these (PX7) presets are coming from an emulated synth, while your (RE7-DXfm) refill is sampled from the original hardware DX7? If yes, do samples really sound better rather than sounds from an (emulated) synth? Just asking, because I was told, that samples are always rigid, when you want to tweak them afterwards. Or is your refill different, because you use hundreds of multi-samples?

What do you think is the quality of your Roland Jupiter 106 samples in comparison to the TAL-U-NO-LX V2 emulation? Don't get me wrong, but I would love to see that developer converting his VST into RE, rather than work with inflexible samples inside a refill, to be honest... :cry:

The grass is always greener on the other side I suppose. So maybe you should talk to TAL?

We do write a clear warning on all these refills which you can read on our website, If you don't think these refills are for you, then do not buy them!
During testing of these products, both the musicians and Props could not differentiate between the Juno 106 / Boutique JU-06 & The JunRe 1zero6 Refill. And the same with the others, Months of sound sculpting has gone on. It is easy to flip them off when you have not poured so many days and weeks into multisampling. But we stand by them, they sound exactly like the synth would if you took it out of the box 30 years ago.
It is not for everyone. But for those who either were not born / old enough or just not in a possition to buy these synths at the time, we have recreated them for these people.
The 24Bit Sampling we used is beautiful sounding, especially on the Dx7 as this was the first digital synth, with the analog ones it just captures that feel that you cant get from softsynths.. So again, they are not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but for those who would like just to experience what it would be like to have owned one, this is who we created the refills for.

Hope that helps you
Last edited by Softphonics on 27 Apr 2016, edited 1 time in total.
------

bitley

27 Apr 2016

Sampling is not inflexible at all when done right.

SunSetCity

27 Apr 2016

Softphonics wrote:We do write a clear warning on all these refills which you can read on our website, If you don't think these refills are for you, then do not buy them!
During testing of these products, both the musicians and Props could not differentiate between the Juno 106 / Boutique JU-06 & The JunRe 1zero6 Refill. And the same with the others, Months of sound sculpting has gone on. It is easy to flip them off when you have not poured so many days and weeks into multisampling. But we stand by them, they sound exactly like the synth would if you took it out of the box 30 years ago.
It is not for everyone. But for those who either were not born / old enough or just not in a possition to buy these synths at the time, we have recreated them for these people.
The 24Bit Sampling we used is beautiful sounding, especially on the Dx7 as this was the first digital synth, with the analog ones it just captures that feel that you cant get from softsynths.. So again, they are not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but for those who would like just to experience what it would be like to have one, this is who we created the refills for.
Maybe, you did get me wrong, but thanks for clarifying and pointing that out! I didn't mean to denigrate your software, because I'm a customer of your products myself...

PurpleMonkeyDishes

27 Apr 2016

bitley™ wrote:Sampling is not inflexible at all when done right.
Yes I totally agree Bitley, I think people are getting to caught up in the wrong aspects of this.
Anyone who develops for the product we all use & love "reason".. they should be supported / encouraged
not showered with bad vibes...

Such a pity people can't think before they type :(
Music is everything

PurpleMonkeyDishwasher

Softphonics

27 Apr 2016

For those interested in the sound here is the demos of just playing the same 4 chords in Reason 8.

JupitRe Octo

JunRe 1zero6

RE7-DXfm

Hope this helps you understand what they are all about

Cheers
------

Yonatan

27 Apr 2016

I think this is lovely! I much prefer this instead of emulated softsynths. There is a "something" to the sound.

At Vero Eos

27 Apr 2016

Big thumbs up :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: for these ReFills! The audio demos really made me interested in the final products.

Lov2sing

27 Apr 2016

Why didn't they make this into a RE that would be the greatest. Follow this thought. a RE based off of ROM player sound cards then you could introduce new rom cards whenever you felt like it. Roland did it with the D50, JV series, and Yamaha did it with the DX series. It would take less space and only one master RE.
We make music for a reason

joeyluck

27 Apr 2016

Softphonics wrote: Joey

We do have Px7, but the focus of these refills is on the "Actual factory soundbank" that comes with these hardware synths "out of the box"
It is a very different thing to a softsynth based on a hardsynth for sound creation.
This is an emulation

Any positive input?
Sorry I meant no disrespect by my question. And my question only pertained to the DX7 ReFill. Which I thought was a fair question with it being based on a digital synth in which the PX7 is indistinguishable and highly regarded as pretty much being the DX7 brain. And as for the naming (maybe à la Buffre?) I assume to be all in fun. So no offense meant there either (but I edited it out of my comment)

I did say I'm looking forward to the Jupiter 8 ReFill! And I think the demos sound good :puf_smile:

Softphonics

27 Apr 2016

joeyluck wrote:
Softphonics wrote: Joey

This is an emulation

Any positive input?
Sorry I meant no disrespect by my question. And my question only pertained to the DX7 ReFill. Which I thought was a fair question with it being based on a digital synth in which the PX7 is indistinguishable and highly regarded as pretty much being the DX7 brain. And as for the naming (maybe à la Buffre?) I assume to be all in fun. So no offense meant there either (but I edited it out of my comment)

I did say I'm looking forward to the Jupiter 8 ReFill! And I think the demos sound good :puf_smile:

No problem Joey.
Ye I get what you mean. But hope my explanation clears up the difference between the two.

Thanks
------

Softphonics

27 Apr 2016

Lov2sing wrote:Why didn't they make this into a RE that would be the greatest. Follow this thought. a RE based off of ROM player sound cards then you could introduce new rom cards whenever you felt like it. Roland did it with the D50, JV series, and Yamaha did it with the DX series. It would take less space and only one master RE.

Thanks for the input,
I wont bore you with the details, so in short...
Making them into actual synths RE's requires a total ball of red tape & endless workload, This was the way around it.

:puf_smile:
------

Yonatan

27 Apr 2016

Refills are fine for me. But let´s hope for an update of Combinator-tool.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

28 Apr 2016

Softphonics wrote: The 24Bit Sampling we used is beautiful sounding, especially on the Dx7 as this was the first digital synth
:lol:

No it wasn't. Not even close.

The first commercially available digital synth was the RMI Harmonic Synthesizer, back in 1974.

That's nearly ten years earlier than that DX. And in any event, the Fairlight, Synclavier and Emulator predate it too (79-81). And the Synergy (82). DX7 launched was 1983.

And the DX7s, especially the loathed first version, were notoriously noisy. The DACs were only 12-bit. (The much-improved later version I think was 15-bit). Either way, I doubt it got anywhere near 24-bit of SNR. While one should always sample at 24-bit, of course, if the ReFills are using 24-bit samples rather than 16-bit, then all you're doing is offering a product that is much larger than it needs to be.

Softphonics

28 Apr 2016

JiggeryPokery wrote:
Softphonics wrote: The 24Bit Sampling we used is beautiful sounding, especially on the Dx7 as this was the first digital synth
:lol:

No it wasn't. Not even close.

The first commercially available digital synth was the RMI Harmonic Synthesizer, back in 1974.

That's nearly ten years earlier than that DX. And in any event, the Fairlight, Synclavier and Emulator predate it too (79-81). And the Synergy (82). DX7 launched was 1983.

And the DX7s, especially the loathed first version, were notoriously noisy. The DACs were only 12-bit. (The much-improved later version I think was 15-bit). Either way, I doubt it got anywhere near 24-bit of SNR. While one should always sample at 24-bit, of course, if the ReFills are using 24-bit samples rather than 16-bit, then all you're doing is offering a product that is much larger than it needs to be.

Wow Matt,
You wake up on the wrong side of the bed or something?

Didn't think Dev's trolled other Dev's so negatively .....
------

PurpleMonkeyDishes

28 Apr 2016

JiggeryPokery wrote: if the ReFills are using 24-bit samples rather than 16-bit, then all you're doing is offering a product that is much larger than it needs to be.
[/quote]

Note to self, don't support Jiggery P from now on. jees.. Talk about negative
I picked up these refills a few hours ago on the softphonics website, they are really great.
Music is everything

PurpleMonkeyDishwasher

Softphonics

28 Apr 2016

Probably because we didn't stipulate that it was the first "commercially successful digi"

So according to uncle Matt's calculations we were a complete stratosphere off the mark .....

Peace people, peace
Attachments
calcu.jpg
calcu.jpg (50.77 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
------

Benedict
Competition Winner

28 Apr 2016

Ok I concede. Now I hear the real thing I am far more impressed. Matter of fact I recognize a few of the Jupiter 8 sounds from songs in my collection. Means it sounds like a real Jupe ;)

Sorry this hasn't been such an easy ride for you. My apologies for seeming to start it.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Softphonics

28 Apr 2016

Benedict wrote:Ok I concede. Now I hear the real thing I am far more impressed. Matter of fact I recognize a few of the Jupiter 8 sounds from songs in my collection. Means it sounds like a real Jupe ;)

Sorry this hasn't been such an easy ride for you. My apologies for seeming to start it.

Thanks for that Benedict, Glad the demo sounds were of help.
:thumbs_up:
------

Softphonics

28 Apr 2016

Anybody who wants more info, The product pages try cover everything..

JunRe 1zero6 - http://www.softphonics.com/junre-1zero6

RE7-DXfm - http://www.softphonics.com/re7-dxfm

JupitRe Octo - http://www.softphonics.com/jupitre-octo

And user documents (Pdf's) - http://www.softphonics.com/user-manuals

Cheers
------

• Information